new reloading press

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

new reloading press

Post by pokey »

my first ever NEW press. i have a few older single stage presses.
i wanted a different one, more money, more,more,more.
so i took a step back and did a little research. everyone who has one of these
really likes it, and it was very reasonably priced.
reloader1.JPG
yup, a lee classic turret. seems real solid.
here it is loaded with dies for 30wcf.
reloader2.JPG
i also got a bunch of extra turrets. the idea being i would not have to adjust things
after i set them up, just pop out a turret and pop in another. so i got to putting stuff
together and a flaw in my scheme showed up. what to do with all these loaded turrets?
reloader3.JPG
what a mess, can't leave 'em lay around like that.
then i heard pitchy's voice in my head,,,pick up those tools and take care of that. :D
so i did,
reloader4.JPG
did i ever tell you, you can't have too many clamps?
still have some finish work to do, and a lid to make, but you get the idea.
reloader5.JPG
and since i always lose some thing under a tray like that,
they lift up to access the underneath,
reloader6.JPG
and finally this post is not OT because every set of dies that will be in there
will feed a levergun. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Richard
Levergunner 2.0

Re: new reloading press

Post by Richard »

What a great idea! You've inspired me to do some of the same organizing. Very nice!
“What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him” — 1 Corinthians 2:9
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I just got one of those. I love it! It's not as fast as a Dillon progressive, but there are certain things I like better about it. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine! Congrats!
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

You should make those boxes to sell. I could use the three or four place model.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Way to go pokey, very nice. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Pokey & Shooter, is that the one called the Lee Classic Turret press? I hope you guys continue to talk about this press some. I came awfully close to ordering one last wk. from an outfit called Titan Reloading. I've used the same RCBS Rockchucker press for 35 yrs, but after all that time, I'm getting a hankerin for a new machine. I believe I can use my RCBS dies with the Lee. Anyway, I'm still looking into buying one and would be glad for suggestions on who to get it from and any other advice you all give. Thanks. Great looking storage box there!

T.
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

That press is the best bang for the buck in the world of reloading.............

And that box for the die heads is amazing!

NICE!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Nice cabinet pokey, Ive got one of the 3 die turrets going to upgrade to the 4 die, over the years Ive been changing out my older dies for lee they make good equipment. danny
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Nice press and great idea for the storage!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I have been thinking about letting one of my single stage presses go and picking up one of those for a few weeks now. I even went as far as calling Lee with a question or two about it, great customer service and parts are readilly avaliable. Natchez (http://www.natchezss.com/index.cfm) and Midsouth (http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/) have good prices.

If you ever decide to make up some of those boxes for loaded turrets let us know.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Oh, that is EXTREMELY cool! 8)

Just loaded up 500 rounds of .38 Special on my Lee turret press. This was my first press ever, purchased 30 years ago. Still works great.

Congrats - and great work on the turret ring box!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I was considering the Lee turret a couple of years ago, but at that time Hornady would sell you their progressive for $300 and give you 1000 bullets. I figured "gee, that's like getting the press for $100". So that's the route I took.

And though I seldom process ammo from empty through loaded round all in one go I find that I use the progressive a lot. For example, I like to process a big batch of 30/30s by a neck size, prime, expand in Lyman "M" die, and then they sit there primed and waiting for me to decide what to load in them. The Hornady auto-powder dispense isn't consistent enough on rifle-sized loads to make me happy, so I use my trusty Redding powder measure to dispense loads in the old way, then use the progressive to seat bullet in step one and crimp in step 2.
I think Hornady is still giving 500 bullets with their press, but the press has gone up some. Maybe like getting the $350 press for $250. Still, if your customary loading procedures could benefit from a progressive, maybe you should spend the extra and get the progressive. Just depends on the kind of procedures you do and how you like to work.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Topside wrote:I'm still looking into buying one and would be glad for suggestions on who to get it from
got mine from cabela's. 94.00 :!:
with all the extra turrets and shipping, i still came in under 200.00.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

I have been using the three-hole turret press since 1982.
I had to buy my own stuff after I left home in '79 and the LEE stuff appealed for more reasons than economy - but the economy was a big factor. In about 1990, I "upgraded" to a big-name press and was sorely disappointed after having gotten used t othe LEE. So, for $58 I went back to the turrent press.

I like the new four-holers (feel like I am talking about crappers), but am invested in three-hole turrets.

Funny how back then people looked down their noses at LEE because it was "cheap." LEE has great stuff, and even though I cut my teeth on RCBS, Redding, Lyman, Pacific, Comet, Bear, which is all great stuff, I like the LEE stuff better. That little turret press is handy and does everything I need. I once loaded wildcat cartridges on it, from which I was extracting sub-half inch groups, so I know that it is good stuff.

I like the idea of the box. I have always intended to make a rack for my turrets and never have. Nice work on yours!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Topside wrote:Pokey & Shooter, is that the one called the Lee Classic Turret press? I hope you guys continue to talk about this press some. I came awfully close to ordering one last wk. from an outfit called Titan Reloading. I've used the same RCBS Rockchucker press for 35 yrs, but after all that time, I'm getting a hankerin for a new machine. I believe I can use my RCBS dies with the Lee. Anyway, I'm still looking into buying one and would be glad for suggestions on who to get it from and any other advice you all give. Thanks. Great looking storage box there!

T.
Topside,

I got mine from Midway, and I got the kit that comes with it. It has the press mounted powder measure, the press mounted priming system, etc. I think I paid around $150 for the whole shabang. You can use the press with RCBS dies, but there is an extension you have to get if you are using the powder measure with the powder-through expanding die. I found that out the hard way, as the measure at the regular height won't clear the long adjustment screws on the RCBS or Redding dies. You also have to use the extension if you are using the priming system on the press.

The pro auto disk powder measure I got for the press is very accurate, but adjustments seem to be a pain, although I'm not used to it yet. Once I get all the measurements down I think I will really like it. Let me know if you have any more questions and I will do my best to answer them based on my experience.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Nice press.

I have one and won't be sending it back.

Cheers Mark
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

One thing I thought when I got mine, it has a little wiggle room when you work the lever and you might think the seating depth is inaccurate. Not really. What happens is the disc, which is moveable and therefore can't be solid, gets pushed up a micro-inch until it makes contact with the solid part of the press. Once it makes contact it's consistent. Feels a little wobbly but not a design flaw.

I disabled the auto-advance on mine because I don't work one round at a time. I weigh out a batch and then do the same operation on all in the batch. Still it's easier for me to have all the dies there and just spin 'er.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

El Chivo wrote:One thing I thought when I got mine, it has a little wiggle room when you work the lever and you might think the seating depth is inaccurate. Not really. What happens is the disc, which is moveable and therefore can't be solid, gets pushed up a micro-inch until it makes contact with the solid part of the press. Once it makes contact it's consistent. Feels a little wobbly but not a design flaw.

I disabled the auto-advance on mine because I don't work one round at a time. I weigh out a batch and then do the same operation on all in the batch. Still it's easier for me to have all the dies there and just spin 'er.
El C, glad you mentioned that cause I'd read some reviews maybe on the Midway or Sinclaire site that mentioned that and it concerned me some. Sounds like a mighty good machine.

T.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I bought a Lee Load Master years ago and the first thing I noticed was the movment of the turret while operating the press and the fact that the retaining thumb screw would work loose too. I check the OAL and primer seating depth about every 10 rounds or so and it is very consistent as El Chivo also found. When I got into reloading in the mid 60s I bought the best and have no regrets there but I am 100% sold on Lee products now.
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Excellent article on the Lee Classic Turret Press if you all haven't come across it.
http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm

T.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I have a Lee Classic now that replaced the old Lee turret press that finally wore out after 140,000 rounds. I currently have most of the 38 different calibers I load for in Lee turrets. The ONLY problem I have had with the Lee is the two piece ram working loose and that was cured with a good dose of red loctite.
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Well fellers, how are those new Classic Turret presses treating you? Everybody still like'em? I'm close to ordering one from Natchez Shooters Supplies along with some accessories and darned if they aren't out of stock on the extra turrets. When I order, I think I'd like to get the pro powder measure and the, Small and Large Safety Prime system. Currently and for the last 35 yrs, I use a Rockchucker and Lyman 55 measure. If the Lee machines work well for me, I'll sell my current equipment.

One question for now....I've got RCBS dies in 38/357, 45 Colt, & 45 ACP. I've heard the Lee 4 die sets are excellent so I expect to sell what I've got and try the Lee's. Glad for any comments on that choice.

Good weekend to you.
T.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I have Lee dies, and they seem to work fine; only one thing - they use rubber O rings to tighten the collars. Mine come loose periodically. Then the depth can be off.

I have a couple of Lyman dies and they have collars that lock on with a set screw; this seems to be more accurate. I'm thinking of replacing my Lee collars with Lyman collars. Then I will have more accurate/consistent die placement. If one comes loose I can spin it by hand to the exact depth, less fuss.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

El Chivo wrote:I have Lee dies, and they seem to work fine; only one thing - they use rubber O rings to tighten the collars. Mine come loose periodically. Then the depth can be off.

I have a couple of Lyman dies and they have collars that lock on with a set screw; this seems to be more accurate. I'm thinking of replacing my Lee collars with Lyman collars. Then I will have more accurate/consistent die placement. If one comes loose I can spin it by hand to the exact depth, less fuss.
Same here - I like the ones with the set screws best.

I forget which ones have the metal ring split so it is a 'C' instead of 'O', and the set screw connects the split part, vs. goes through to impinge on the threads, but I like the 'C' system better.

One trick for the Lees with the O-ring is to tighten them very forcefully with a wrench, and they do seem to lock in well then, and actually I've had fewer of them 'work loose' than the set-screw ones when I do that, even though I think the set-screw ones (of either type) seem to be way easier to set precisely.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

I have been using my Lee Classic for a couple years now. I like it a lot! The only problem I have had with it is when I load 9mm. The arm that holds the small primers does not always swing under the cartridge fast enough when doing the priming operation. You need to push it under manually. I stole a fix for this from a friend that I talked into buying the Classic.
He drilled and tapped a 10-32 hole under the little primer holder. He then screwed in a screw with a large head. You can adjust this screw in or out to cause the primer arm to swing under the arm more quickly. Problem solved.
Tho I do prime on the press on occasion, I much prefer to use the Lee Auto Prime hand primer.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

I just tried to put up a post to the 4 of you guys who passed on some good info. about the Lee press this afternoon. I think I hit submit, but I don't see it. I'll just have to say thanks for your input rather than trying to remember what all I said as I'm about to hit the sack. I am looking forward to the new press for sure. Thanks.
T.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I load all my cowboy ammo on a Dillon. Started with a 450 and upgraded it to a 550 when the kit became available. Have broken a few things but a phone-call to Dillon got the new part on the way immediately. All they ever asked for was the broken part back so they could determine what happened.

I will say that the Lee factory crimp die is a marvelous tool and goes in that fourth hole for all of my pistol caliber loading.

The dillon die block has a central hole that goes on a post for storage. Made a rack that holds 6 or 7 but there are now several just sitting on the bench with nowhere to live. Need to fix that. I like the idea of covered storage too. Always have to hose mine down with carb cleaner and blow off with compressed air before using.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS