O/T GMX loads with mixed results.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

O/T GMX loads with mixed results.

Post by m.wun »

I have just experimented with some Hornady 150gr GMX in my 308 win bolt.My standard
go to load is a 150gr interlock on top of 47gr of Re15.This load will put cloverleafs on paper
at 100yrd and chronos 2780fps.Being in Ca. I figured I would set up lead free loads if I need
them.This GMX 150gr is as long as a 180gr so not wanting to have to much bullet in the case
I seated the bullet just enough to not touch the lands.Even at this point there is alot more bullet in the case compared to my interlocks.I then made multable loads starting at 45gr working up to 47gr where I normaly load.All my loads shot safely up to the 47gr although not
as accurate as the interlocks the 47gr GMX load chronod at 2892fps.I never would have thought they would be that much faster!With this load I seated the bullet to the top of the
bottom band and the upper band is exposed.It looks alittle funny like this but every thing
functions fine and is aceptable for accuracy.One other thing I noticed is that bullet expansion
was minimal.I compared the GMX load to the Inter lock at 100yards shot into wet phonebooks
and the softpoints pen. 10-12",GMX exited the paper at 14" with a 1/2" exit.I have heard these bullets dont expand well at 308 velocities.Thinking now I should of tried the Barnes 130
gr as I have heard better things with them.Might just buy a box of the Barnes factory loads
before spending the money on componets.I really dont want to shoot lead free as its kinda
a pain...
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Re: O/T GMX loads with mixed results.

Post by Bob A »

The Barnes loading data says:
44 gr RL15 2733 fps
48 gr RL15 2935 fps
For their 150 gr copper TSX.
It looks like the Hornady copper bullets are very similar.

I extrapolated that 47 gr would give you 2883. Pretty close to your measured 2892.

Bob A
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Thanks for the data!Im thinking with the extra speed the expansion may be better.The Barnes
are suppose to be softer also...
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I suggest you use the 130s.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

The bullets I loaded would work good out of a 300mag.I loaded the remaining ones up
just to shoot.Pretty expensive plinkers!When its time I have to hunt with lead free Im going
to buy factory Barnes in the 130 flavor.2-3 boxes would be enough to sight in and save the rest for hunting...