Just wondering.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Just wondering.

Post by Bridger »

Many outdoorsmen have no problem with hunting and fishing and such but they really believe trapping is cruel and should be illegal. These same hunters probably have never even seen a trap before and have no idea hoe humane modern trapping is. Foothold traps have no teeth and do no harm to whatever is caught in them. Beleive me, if they did, I would have no hand. Conibear type traps quickly kill the animal and there is no suffering. What got me thinking about this is a week or two ago I found a hunting forum and it seemed like many hunters are totally against trapping. This makes no sense to have such a strong opinion on something you know so little about. Trappers and coon hunters have a long history of not getting along, and many would like trapping to be banned. I don`t coon hunt, but have no problems with coonhunters, and would certainly never try to ban it. We could lose all trapping and hunting and such if we bicker between each other when really we need to unite to fight animal rights activists. So, most of you guys being hunters and outdoorsmen, what do you think of trapping?
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I'v got no issue with it. Actually I wouldn't care if folks beat game to death with sticks as long as they used the game.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I would love to get into trapping my self but dont have the time or property.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Yeah, well, the property issue can be fixed, just find a place you want to trap and ask permission. The bad thing is, the citizens of the fine state of Caliphornia have made all but cage traps illegal, unfortunately.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

OK, all together now...

THANK YOU, MR. DISNEY.

I don't think it's got as much to do with the activity as it's got to do with the way urban and suburban people see animals, and the ethical treatment thereof.

Many people, animal lovers and hunters alike see traps as a cruel and or painful way for an animal to die.

There is also a collateral domestic animal damage consideraton.

To me it's just another way to hunt.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That's the core problem with the whole U.S. - we all want our own freedom, but we seem to very easily restrict others' freedom. I don't think smoking is healthful, so I want it BANNED. I think gambling is sinful, so I want it TAXED. So on, & so forth.

Look how many "support gun ownership" but ONLY if the guns are useable for "legitimate hunting or target shooting." "Nobody NEEDS to own a _____" "Nobody NEEDS to do _____" "It's IMMORAL to _____"

Face it, most Americans have gotten so used to deferring EVERYTHING to the government that they can't shake it off. Gotta support this candidate, because the UNION says so. Gotta support this one, because if I don't, they'll quit legislating my competitors out of business, and I won't have a job. Gotta support this one, because my religion says such and such is WRONG, and since my church can't convince them, we'll sick the POLICE on them!

Personally, I feel that consumptive use of animals and plants is pretty durn natural, and nothing to outlaw. Sure, you should do it efficiently and humanely, but as you pointed out, much of trapping is humane. Same with hunting - some dis the bow hunter for 'slow deaths' - yet the deer which aren't shot are eaten ALIVE by feral dogs or coyotes, or limp off to bleed to death after car impacts, so I fail to see how an arrow is any less 'humane' than those ends. If a species is truly threatened, then we should let up the pressure, and for that perhaps the hand of government can be used reasonably, but I'm beginning to doubt that government can do anything effectively or properly, so I'm not even sure about that...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Thanks for the replies, yall. A point I would like to touch on-
It isn`t ALWAYS possible to use an animal. I am working for a guy now to rid his place of beavers. I get paid per beaver(well, will- haven`t fully got started trapping there yet), and the beaver hides are getting to where a lot of them are not any good down here, so instead of trying to skin and sell a worthless beaver, I just have to get rid of it. No, I would rather not, but, they gotta go, because they flood out his place.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I trapped along the rivers near my home in the 70's and early 80's. Also a bit in the 90's. mostly muskrat, Coons, fox. I still have some gear but haven't put any out in a while. Have thought to do so but I just don't have the time to run a line before work anymore. I have no problem with trapping properly and I learned much from the time on the line
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

No, nothing wrong with it. Todays society has become too touchy. The same could be said about fishing. "Oh God!, They ripped the hook right out of his mouth!!!". My in-laws run a butcher shop for beef, hogs, goats, deer etc. I really wish some stinkin' liberal who crys foul of trapping could see a hog hung upside down with his throat sliced. Or some young veal getting a hammer bop on his head, all the time while they are chowing down on this food. Its part of life.

This is what I use around the house, stategically buried in hiding spots. :D Its a #6 and takes 400 lbs to set each side.---------Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I have never trapped but have known others who have. I have no problem with it personally. I do have a problem with it being banned however. If banned can hunting be far behind? No hunting leads to no reason to own firearms. See a slippery slope forming? The only reason trapping is banned is because it does not have as many participants. Easy target. Easy to demonize and attack. 1886.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Good point 1886. Sixgun, that trap is worth some cash if it is a Newhouse. Give ya $10 for it :D
Keep em coming, please.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I know a couple people that trap and have never run into anyone(that I know of) who was against it.

Sixgun, let me know where you live so I may stay far, far away. :shock:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Howdy,
Trappin is hard for the people that think meat is raised in cellophane wraped styrophome. Wether you want the fur or the meat, it is a way to get to your goal. I do not trap, I know those that do or did. Buckel up here, harvesting game comes under many ways. Managed, none of it should be outlawed.
John
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I guess you could ask two questions to decide whether it should or shouldn't be allowed.
1/ is it humane
2/ is it ethical
If you can answer yes to both questions, whats wrong with it?
I guess the old steel jaw traps would not really rate as humane.
I used to use them for rabbits when I was young and I used to check my trap line about three times a night.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Nothing wrong with trapping when it's done right. I ran a trap line when I was younger. Used my granpa's Newhouse #1 1/2, these traps are over 80 yrs old and still strong, have them hanging in my garage. Maybe I will do it again someday.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I used to trap a little years ago. Would like to pick it up again but I just don't have the time.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

I have no problem with it as long as it is done responsibly, as with shooting and hunting.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

I'v got no issue with it. Actually I wouldn't care if folks beat game to death with sticks as long as they used the game.
I agree completely, as a farmer who has lost lots of stock to different varmits over the years I have done some trapping when my I have been unable to quickly shoot the critter. I have used everything from live traps, to old timey steel jaw traps, to metal snares. I have a hard time with the whole "humane" thing. The idea behind "humane" is that you are treating animals like "humans", and they are not. A fox that get into my chickens, or a coyote that gets into my goats needs to be disposed of as soon as possible, and while I do not WANT to cause a creature to suffer, I am less concerned with their suffering than I am their removal.

I have never ran a trap line myself, but again I don't have ANY problem with it at all. I think people need to be more concered with taking care of people and less about animals.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have done some trapping in the past and still do a bit when I have to.
Trapping can be Humane if done responsibly and should be allowed to continue. Too many people jump on the "Ban it" band waggon without any knowledge of the subject!! :(
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Game Keeper, could you enlighten me on the trapping regulations over there? Aren`t yall in the International Agreement on Humane Trapping Standards or something like that along with the rest of the EU and Canada which requires conibear traps almost exclusively?
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Last summer I completed a trapping course to get my license. Modern trapping is out of the dark ages of old stories where animals ate their own paw off,etc. The efficient and trained use of foot hold and kill traps such as the conibear are very humane. Today's foot holds are constructed in a manner to minimize damage to the animals appendage. That is something that the ninny crowd doesn't know or doesn't want to know.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

I know two guys who trap here in New Mexico. Both are definately what I would call Mountain Man types. There are definitely in the woods more than in town. I respect them because both are extremely self reliant raising their food or hunting for it.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO THE MAJORITY OF THE PUBLIC IS ANTI ANYTHING THAT DEALS WITH HUNTING, FISHING , TRAPPING. wE ARE FOR THE MOST PART A NATION OF WHINERS, AND DOLTS!!!! ART
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!