Decent price on a shooter Winchester 71?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Decent price on a shooter Winchester 71?

Post by pharmseller »

I'm interested. Seems like a decent price. He's in Oregon so maybe I could handle before I buy. Input?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/916240307/Gu ... 348_WI.htm

Quinn
Last edited by pharmseller on Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
g5m
Levergunner

Post by g5m »

Maybe you can check it out. They don't seem to be getting any cheaper.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

danged "websence" filters. I'll have to check it out later
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

If bore is good (and all I've ever seen have good bores) I'd buy it. I got one that it looks like a horse fell on the stock , repaired in the ugliest fashion one could imagine for $700 last year. I'm working on replacement buttstock now , but it shoots goups like the one you posted at 100yds with my reloads. I think you have 71 "itis" from your posts. I have it bad also, my rule is, if I can afford a 71, buy it. You can always sell it and if you don't buy it, you'll regret it. Now have 1 deluxe99% , shot it 50rds then figured out its value so I bought a standard 80%so I could shoot an original 71 alot, then found the beater. Also have Browning carbine as new (my first),Browning 71 rifle with sling studs bought on the excuse I didn't want to muck up the pretty carbine... so yeah if I were you I'd think seriously about buying it. If it were up here, I'd be all over it within minutes of seeing it...$1250 would be a nicer price but you'll forget the difference in $ in a few months. Heck, the difference in price will barely cover the cost of a tank of gas. Let us know how it shoots :)Shot a nice black bear with the 80% 71 last year, Barnes x bullet did the job like a sledge hammer to the head, so yeah go get it!
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

Price is OK, maybe a touch high with the stained buttstock, but if it's all solid & the bore is perfect, I'd got for it. There'a a lot of shooting fun in these original 71s.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I'd grab it, too, if my 71 "holes" weren't already filled. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Still hurts to think about the Deluxe gun I passed on last year for less than $1500 because the dealer changed the price on me by $200 when I put it on hold versus when I went to pick it up. I shoulda bought it anyway. Coulda made several hundred bucks if nothing else, given how the prices on these have gone!
.........THE TWINS..........

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[the dealer changed the price on me ]

I had a small "dealer" try that with me once- until I called our state's Attorneys General office in the capital, on my cell, in his presence, saying I wanted to register a complaint & get an investigation, etc.

I never did go back, and he soon "went out of business". I'd guess "word" got around, as it's a small world.
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

That's a beautiful rifle. Someday we're going to have to get together so I can handle your '71's. I've never shot one. Maybe I have something that you'd like to try. How about .375 H&H, or 25-20? Or a Ruger .45 Colt loaded heavy?
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Hey, Big Bear...

Post by John in MS »

Big Bear, you mentioned using a Barnes X bullet on bear with good results. Was this the discontinued 200 gr. version, or?

What bullet were you using, velocity (if you have it), and could you describe the shot, range, angle and bullet performance/wound track? One
doesn't seem to run into many folks who have field experience with the Barnes X in .348.

Thanks very much,
John
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Barnes 200X, reloader19 64gr. 90yds, 300lb medium sized boar , he was uphill (I learned not to shoot bears that are at the bottom of hills, when the road is at the top :lol: )Bullet went through both shoulders ,bear collapsed and rolled down the hill. Very effective. Plan to get out this spring (season opens April1) and try to repeat on a bigger bear. I have taken one 6'7'' blackie but that was with my338WinMag.I'm sure the 348 would work as well. When I first got the 348 bug I got all the Barnes Xbullets I could find (200and 220gr). Haven't seen any for a couple of years now. Fine bullets. If anyone finds any they don't want I'll take em in a New York minute.
dz86
Levergunner

Post by dz86 »

Quinn,

As scarce as nice Model 71s are getting to be, I'd say "if it speaks to you, buy it!".

I am not afraid to say that I just paid $300 more than that for a pre-war deluxe, also a shooter grade. Receiver had been drilled, buttstock cut for for a pad, but otherwise a decent rifle. Not beautiful, but decent. I think some people would feel that I paid too much for it. But the bottom line was, I liked it. That's what matters.

I felt like if I bought a really nice one I'd be afraid to shoot it. That's another reason that gun of yours would appeal to me.

Dave
Windjammer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Windjammer »

I have a M71 Deluxe for sale. $1750.00 shipped to your FFL. If interested contact me for pictures @ bmyers5229@bellsouth.net
Reqards,
Windjammer
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Did I just read here that a STANDARD 71 went for $2800.00 on Gunbroker?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Do you specifically want a Winchester or would a Browning do?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Gun Smith wrote:Did I just read here that a STANDARD 71 went for $2800.00 on Gunbroker?
It was a Winchester carbine (short rifle in the ad). BIN $2800. Didn't last long, either.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Old Savage wrote:Do you specifically want a Winchester or would a Browning do?
I have a Browning (see avatar), just browsing for a deal on a Winchester. You never know when a deal is going to show up.

Quinn

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

These avatars are just a wee bit small for the details - I am the guy who likes scopes.

BTW what is a primo Browning 71 worth in standard? Might have an opportunity.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

a real nice standard .348 sat at BJ's Sports in ST Joe Michigan for the longest time... it may still be there. I think he was asking in the $1200 range for it.

I dont recall any extra holes in it...
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Old Savage wrote:These avatars are just a wee bit small for the details - I am the guy who likes scopes.

BTW what is a primo Browning 71 worth in standard? Might have an opportunity.
If you found one on an auction site I might be the high bidder already! There's one on AA I'm bidding on:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... um=8475400

It just came on yesterday. I paid $829 shipped for my new no box about a year ago. If someone wants this more than I do feel free to bid. I have one already.

Quinn

big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Problem with the auction rifle is that it is unfired. For many thaty would be a frightful barrier to pleasure. I got a Browning 71 carbine with finger print sized area of pitting on receiver for $450 :lol: Now I can shoot it, hunt it ,carry it in the rain and snow and it just gets better(broke in). Those new rifles remind me of that old song about never get a pretty girl for your wife :lol: Sorry but never was much for political correctness.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I'am just the opposite, I will take the pretty girl, if I can afford her. And I will still drag her through the mud if I have to. :)