OT- why izzit....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

OT- why izzit....

Post by jnyork »

I would like some knowledgable person to explain this to me. I just yesterday completed a 1000 mile road trip. Diesel fuel averaged about $4.10 or so for the whole way, and I saw it all the way up to $4.85. This in contrast to the gasoline prices, which were 30 cents to 85 cents less than diesel. I dont understand what makes the diesel so much more expensive, my concept of diesel is that it is just crude oil that has been strained through a hankie more or less , is it really so much more expensive to refine than gasoline?

Re: OT- why izzit....

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Some evil marketing genius figgered out there's more energy in a gallon of diesel than in a gallon of gas...So they figgered you ought to pay for the extra bang in the fuel.. And since it costs less to produce, it that much more money in the bank for the thieving bastids...BTW I don't claim to be knowledgeable....
Last edited by Ben_Rumson on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Since they mandated Low Sulphor diesel, it has been expensive, or so I've been told. :evil: I sure like my F250 SuperDuty with 6.4 Twin Turbo in it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

WELL, IT IS LIKE THIS. A PETROLEUM ENGINEER CAN TAKE A GALLON OF DIESEL FUEL, ANY GRADE, RE-CRACK IT, AND MAKE A GALLON OF GASOLINE AND ANOTHER HALF GALLON OF VERY EXPENSIVE AND VERY LUCRATIVE CHEMICALS.
THEN, UNCLE SAM SAYS A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO YOU MUST MAKE DIESEL FUEL AS CLEAN AS A BABY'S fanny burp AND CONSIDERABLE LESS SMELLY. VOILA, ANOTHER PLACE FOR EXPENSAIVE CHEMICALS AND A HECK OF A JUMP IN DIESEL PRICES.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Terry Murbach wrote:WELL, IT IS LIKE THIS. A PETROLEUM ENGINEER CAN TAKE A GALLON OF DIESEL FUEL, ANY GRADE, RE-CRACK IT, AND MAKE A GALLON OF GASOLINE AND ANOTHER HALF GALLON OF VERY EXPENSIVE AND VERY LUCRATIVE CHEMICALS.
THEN, UNCLE SAM SAYS A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO YOU MUST MAKE DIESEL FUEL AS CLEAN AS A BABY'S fanny burp AND CONSIDERABLE LESS SMELLY. VOILA, ANOTHER PLACE FOR EXPENSAIVE CHEMICALS AND A HECK OF A JUMP IN DIESEL PRICES.
Around here, Shell is mixing about 20% BioDiesel with the Low Sulphur diesel....what a bunch of "stuff" My truck almost refuses to run on that junk.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

the markets in China and India continue to grow at an alarming pace. One third of the world's population is now being turned onto the wonders of diesel powered vehicles. In that sense, its supply and demand.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Terry is right on, again. Plus, the diesel is taxed even more than gasoline.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I know the ULSD put out exhaust fumes that smell very acrid. I can't stand to be downwind of it anymore. It seems like it's even worse when running it in an engine built before ULSD became law.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Part of the problem started when the Gov mandated ULSD for on road use. When I still worked at the pipeline new tests (sulfur) and storage (tanks had to be cleaned or new tanks built) and handling requirements (lots more transmix was created) were mandated to insure that the sulfur remained below certain level (less than 15 ppm) for on road use. The machines that tested the sulfur alone cost around $20,000.00 each, and then the machines required special training and handling because they contained radioactive material. So the cost for all these special requirements and training get passed on to the consumer. So, cleaner air comes at substantial cost increase.
UNITE
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Personally I think it's revenge by the govt and oil industry against the consumer.
Back during the phony oil shortages of the 70s lots of people switched from gas vehicles to diesel when they saw the great difference in price.
The govt lost taxes and and oil industry lost profits.
So they conspired to jack up the prices any way they could.
Now diesel is more expensive than gas and we are all getting SCREWED.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***