45 Colt----Red Dot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

45 Colt----Red Dot

Post by HEAD0001 »

Guys I am about to load some Gallery Loads for my 45 Colt. These shells will be shot from a new(to me) 10" Contender. I use Red Dot in my 44 magnum and 45-70 for Gallery Loads. I would also like to use Red Dot for my 45 Colt gallery Load. I am thinking 3.0 grains of Red Dot should do the trick. Just wanting to check in with you guys first, to make sure Red Dot would work the same in my 45 Colt as it does my other firearms. It makes a great Gallery Load in my 45-70's. The bullet is an RCBS 255 grain pill.

I do not use any filler for my other loads. Do you think I need a filler for the 45 Colt load?? I just prepped 300 cases so I am ready to load some shells. Should I crimp these cases?? It is for a single shot handgun?? Thanks guys, Tom.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 45 Colt----Red Dot

Post by awp101 »

OK, I'll be the first to admit it: I thought you were asking about adding a red dot sight to a .45 Colt of some sort... :shock: :? :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Whatever works in .44 manglem ought to be real close in .45. Maybe go up a shade from yer .44 load and give er a pop and see what ya get? When dealing with real low pressures, if yer darned sure ya don't get a squib, what bad can happen?
Certified gun nut
Bob A
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob A »

Lyman #48 calls for a min of 4.5 grains of Red Dot with a 255 LFN for 550 fps. Max is 6.0 for 780 fps.
I have some old RCBS data for their 255 SWC, 5.5 to 6.5 gr of Red Dot.
You might be a little low at 3.0.
You wont need any filler with Red Dot. It lights very easily with no case position issues.

Bob A
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My CAS load for the 45Colt is 6.5 grains of RedDot. Everything from a 160grain to 225 grain pill. Never have a problem with squibs. I've used as low as 5.0.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Just checked my old Lyman loading manual and they say 4.5 as a minimum... As easy as RD ignites I would not be afraid to begin to work backwards at .2 grain increments.
Better I would get some .452 or .454 (depends on your chamber) round balls. As you are a single shot you can thumb press them into the case. A "roll around a small plastic container" with most any lube is all you will need. Again I would load 1 round at 4.5 grains and work back to where velocity is right for you. A round ball at 400 fps will topple garden bunnies with a head shot at 20 yards.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.