30-30 neck sizing,cast bullets & Range Report with pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
neil mitchell
Levergunner 1.0

30-30 neck sizing,cast bullets & Range Report with pics

Post by neil mitchell »

I have a 336C and 336ZG in 30-30.I ordered a Lee neck sizing die because all my bolt actions shoot more accurately when neck sized only.I was also going to order some Lupua,Norma or other premium brass so I would have different brands of brass for each gun because of neck sizing only.Well, I found out 30-30 is available in Win(whichI have) or Remington which I don't like.
The problem is brass fired in the 336ZG will chamber in the 336C ,but, brass fired in the 336C will not chamber in the 336ZG. (the brass will chamber but not easily)This is a normal condition.
Now the good news! After sizing the brass with the Lee collet neck sizer die the brass chambers in both guns no matter which gun it was fired in.
I also ordered 500 Oregon Trail Laser Cast bullets .310 dia.
The first picture is my 336C at 25 yds.

Next picture 336C 50yds

[/imgImage

Last pic 336ZG 100yds.
[imgImage

Needless to say I am very happy.

Neil[/img]
NRA,Disabled Vietnam Veteran
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Very interesting, Neil. I've found that I get better accuracy just neck sizing my 30-30 brass as well. In fact, I don't even size the whole neck, just the first .2" to give a firm grasp on the bullet prior to crimping.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I also use the true-Shot 30-30 170 gr. gas check lead bullets from Laser-Cast. I neck size with the Lee die set, expand & bell with the Lyman "M" die, seat with a RCBS seater die, and crimp with the Lee factory crimp die.

I use three different powders for three different loadings, 5744, RL-7, & SR5749. The most accurate loading is using the 5744, SR5749 is next, followed by the power load RL-7. I also use RL-7 for jacketed loads.

The 5744 load shoots 2 1/2" - 3" at 200 yards. A friend of mine has won six SASS lever rifle side matches with this load in his 1900 Winchester 94 26" octagon barrel 30-30 with a lyman tang sight. All targets were 175 yds and shot with cross-sticks in the sitting position. The last match we shot he hit 10 for 10 and won the match. His 1900 shoots better than my new 2006 Winchester Legacy 26" octagon barrel. They don't make them like they did over 100 years ago.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
neil mitchell
Levergunner 1.0

Post by neil mitchell »

The cast bullets I'm using are 165 gr plain (bevel) base .The gas check bullets cost about the same as jacketed so that kinda defeats my purpose (cheap reloads for plinking).
I don't have to flare the case necks with the bevel base bullets.I also use the Lee FCD.
Brass should last a long time with neck sizing only. I know my .22 Hornet brass lasts longer and I have quit recording how many times my brass has been reloaded.

Neil
neil mitchell
Levergunner 1.0

Post by neil mitchell »

I forgot to add that both my 336's have a Williams peep sight. I would highly recomend the williams sight especially for old guys like me (I'm 61). I have scopes on all my bolt guns but prefer the peep sight on levers.

Neil
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Your results speak for themselves but the collet sizer only works the necks. I am trying to figure how the collet sizer works the brass enough so that the worked cases fit both chambers when a full length sizer will not. Thats the beauty of reloading, always more answers to be questioned. Regards. 1886.
neil mitchell
Levergunner 1.0

Post by neil mitchell »

1886 when I said the brass would not chamber I meant BEFORE resizing. I am suprised and pleased that "neck sized only" cases chamber easily in both rifles.

Neil