Question Marlin 1894C Fiber Optic Front Sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Question Marlin 1894C Fiber Optic Front Sight

Post by woods-walker »

I have been considering swapping out the front sight on my Marlin 1894C .357 Magnum. I presently use a Williams Foolproof with one of the gold ring "twilight" inserts and the stock factory front sight. This set up is pretty good but a green fiber optic should give a better low light/bad light sight picture.

I was just on the Brownells site and found several from Marbels. Williams Gunsite has them but only in red.

Has anyone experimented with this type of set up?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Question Marlin 1894C Fiber Optic Front Sight

Post by AJMD429 »

Green or Yellow is the way to go.

Brownells and MidwayUSA both sell 'kits' of all three colors of fiberoptic in 4" or so strands, so you can change colors of any sight easily. The fibers are thicker in diameter than those for archery sights.

I'll dig up some of my posts if I get a chance...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Google "HiViz" sights.....I have a HiViz green fiber optic front sight on 3 of my main hunting guns. Absolutely love them. :D

you're on the right track.....Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Since Williams often sells their 'FP' sets with a front firesight (or two) at no extra charge, I wind up using those, and taking out the red/orange and replacing it.

Just decide what DIAMETER fiber optic you want (or already have), then order one of these KITS, and experiment for yourself...! 8)

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1971 ... SIGHT_RODS

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#fiber% ... -4_8-16-32

Pieces are about 6" long - enough to do or re-do several sights.

If you don't already have a fiberoptic sight, just get one the height you need, and the style you want, then see the next paragraph...

If you already have a fiberoptic sight, just measure the diameter of the fiber, and order replacements. Clip one end off the existing one with a nail clippers, and you can pull it out, then replace it with others as you wish. You can snip a short section of each color off, take the gun afield (into your lighting conditions, etc.), and look through the sight with a piece just slipped in, to see which color you prefer. When you heat the fiber end to 'seal' it in finally, the dot will be just a bit larger than your 'experimental' ones, but you get the idea. To install, all you do is cut it to a bit over the length you want, then push it into your sight, then briefly flame the ends with a lighter.

Piece of cake (if I can do it, anyone can... :lol: ).

I like both yellow and green when hunting, but orange is only useful to me on a target range (too bright).

----------------------------------------------------------------

Also - Lots of peep pics, and some with fiber optic fronts on THIS thread: http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=20342

----------------------------------------------------------------

I even made my own fiberoptic on a Rossi square-bladed front sight, just with a Dremel, fine bit, and a small file. Took less than 20 minutes.

Here's the project thread - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=21648
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

A few days ago I acquired a used Rossi 92 in .357 that somebody had already partially set up. Nifty Williams peep and a green fiber optic front. This was my first experience with a fiber optic. Wow! I'm in love! And I was a fellow who thought the small ivory bead up front couldn't be beat. I've been converted.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

I have a .357 1894C that has a Skinner rear sight with a Twilight Peep, and then I put a red fiber-optic Williams "Fire Sight" on it. To me, I like the red color better than green, but your mileage may vary. The T/C Omega X7 (inline) I bought originally had a green sight on it, but I switched that to red, and then later upgraded to a scope.

Anyway, on the l'il Marlin carbine, I think the combination of the Twilight Peep in the rear with the red fiber-optic up front will be just the ticket when the deer are in the fir thickets early/late in the day. I have the same setup on my Marlin 39 Mountie, and that's been deadly on red squirrels and other small game, and it's a great practice rifle for the range too.

Good luck with your setup, and tight groups.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

For about $12, Hi-Viz makes/markets a FO front sight that comes with six interchangeable optic rods - three each od red/green in three different diameters.

For those who want to add some FO rod to an existing sight blade, please be aware: Since the FO rod operates via gathering light from the SIDES of the rod, then transferring the light to the round end as a visible bead - the top and/or sides of the FO rod need to be exposed to the open air (light), INCLUDING cutting a hole in the roof of a front sight hood, for those who use hoods.

woods-walker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by woods-walker »

Gents,

Thanks for the ideas and feedback. I'll have to place a front site order and do some experimenting. This was the information I was looking for. Much appreciated.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pete44ru wrote:For those who want to add some FO rod to an existing sight blade, please be aware: Since the FO rod operates via gathering light from the SIDES of the rod, then transferring the light to the round end as a visible bead - the top and/or sides of the FO rod need to be exposed to the open air (light), INCLUDING cutting a hole in the roof of a front sight hood, for those who use hoods.
Yep. When I did the Rossi (wasn't a 'Firesight' like the Williams ones - just a plain blade sight), I cut a 'light' notch for that very reason: