What's a Marlin 336AS?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

What's a Marlin 336AS?

Post by pharmseller »

Seeing as how I do not own a Marlin 30-30, I spotted one at the local pawn shop today. Crossbolt safety, model 336AS. Priced at $279 and he wouldn't budge. Microgroove, overall I'd rate at 97%.
What's the AS mean? I hope it doesn't mean I'm an AS$ for not buying it.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Quinn,

Lets see if I've learned anything about Marlins.

The 336A is a standard 20" carbine.
The S on the end stands for safety.

For $279.00 I'd go for it if it was in good condition. I don't see that as a bad price at all.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Not a bad price but the regular 336 is a 336C or 336CS. They dropped the "S" this year judgeing from the catalog.
They change model designations for the hardwood stocked guns alot. I cant keep up with them. Was it a walnut stock? I'm thinking it probably wasn't.

At one time a 336A was a rifle configuration walnut stocked 336 with I believe a 24" barrel. But not no more.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

The rifle had swivel studs in place. I don't think the barrel was 24", more like 20". The rear sight did not have an elevator, instead it had a screw that elevated the rear sight by pushing against the barrel. I didn't like that arrangement. Also, it was d&t'ed on the side for a receiver sight.
Any more guesses?

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Origionaly the A was a 24" 2/3 mag tube rifle and the SC (sporting carbine)was a 20" barreled rifle with 2/3 mag.
What they call an A now is just a carbine and most have other than walnut for stocks. Yes, the S is for the safety. :wink:
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Well I just paid $379 for mine at Big 5, so I think you're going to get a good deal.

This is going to be a carry/hunting gun, so I didn't really want the walnut. But, as it turns out, the hardwood on it is pretty interesting, it has character. It should be a few ounces lighter, too.

It has the cheaper sight which is not going to be used anyway. I'm scoping mine and will see how I like scopes.

The other thing about this rifle is it has a forend cap instead of a carbine band. That's why I wanted to try this rather than ordering a 336c. I like the forend cap, a little cleaner sighting down the barrel. This will be important if I ditch the scope and put on a tang sight.

Also the butt plate is hard plastic, not rubber.

But, does it shoot? I fired one shot from it so far, offhand with the iron sights, and it was a hit at 100 yards. Hit the iron pig just behind the ear.

I think this is a good-luck gun.

Hey, I just took a look at the Marlin site, and they've dropped the 336A altogether. Now you have to get the W, which has the carbine barrel bands and gold trigger. I ran out and bought mine because I was worried Remington might change things, and they did!
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

So Quinn, I hope you're posting photos pretty soon so we can see it too. It's too cheap to pass up if you want a .30.

Grizz
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Yeah, I guess I should. I just hate it when a pawner posts a price and won't dicker. You gotta give the customer a couple of bucks off so he feels better about the deal. Still, a thirsty man shouldn't complain if the water's not cold...

Quinn

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I used to sell sunglasses at a store that discounted them heavily, and it was uncanny how people assumed we could come down even more.

Since our prices were a good 30% cheaper than anywhere else, we would start increasing the price when someone started to dicker with us.

It was a lot of fun to see the look on someone's face when you would bargain him up rather than down.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

sobenk wrote:...It was a lot of fun to see the look on someone's face when you would bargain him up rather than down.
My favorite tactic! :lol: :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Years ago Marlin carried a version of the 336 in the "value priced" Glenfield line for department stores,but I forget the Glenfield model number. When the Glenfield line was discontinued, the birch-stocked press-checkered or uncheckered 336AS became the new "value priced" Marlin 30-30 for large chain retailers. I have an AS in 30-30 that is birch stocked with a PG buttstock and press-checkering. I don't believe it's catalogued. This area of PA is fairly flooded with them due to four Wal-Marts that once sold guns, and they sold the 336AS for as low as $297 at one point, as I recall from peering through the plexiglass five or six years back. I recall thinking, "How can Marlin make any money at that?"

Now they are owned by Cerberus as a division of Remington.

Puts me to mind of the 3-gallon jar of pickles that Vlasic made for Sams and Wal-Mart. The price was like $3 or $5 or something totally unreasonably low. But they flew off the shelves, at a price that has Vlasic shipping dollars out the door -- Vlasic's price to Wal-Mart/Sams was below Vlasic's cost. Vlasic was hoping that W-M/Sams would offer other opportunities for regular Vlasic merchandise at higher margins, but the 3-gallon pickle jar program forced Vlasic into Chapter 11 before any other business was forthcoming.

Who eats 3 gallons of pickles in a reasonable time, anyway?

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Underestimate not the power of the pickle.

Quinn

horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I have an old Glenfield 30A that Noah is talking about. Beech Stock and a half magazine, surprisingly it still holds 5 rounds.