Hello, first post and reason for joining!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
beichling1
Levergunner

Hello, first post and reason for joining!

Post by beichling1 »

Hello, my name is Brett and just joined this community. I only own one lever action firearm but it is one of my gems passed down through the family and I hope to dip into this forums vast well of knowledge so I can be educated about my rifle. It is a model 53 Winchester. The only info I have been able to learn about it online is that it was manufactured in 1924. It is a 44WCF and also a Takedown as the pictures clearly show. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. The serial number happens to be #339 if that helps. I fire this rifle regularly as it shoots great. The questions I have are production numbers, value, and opinions on if I should be using it as my go-to gun when I feel like plinking. Also the sights seem to be aftermarket but equally old. They were made by Pacific. If family the family story is correct this rifle was originally used in an official capacity by a revenue agent in San Fransisco. Of course family history tends to bend and flow through the years., so who knows. Thanks! I apologize in advance if the picture quality is low. Used my Ipod camera. I can take photos with a camera If somebody would like to see something specific on this weapon. Camera is out on loan at the moment. Family huh!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Hello, first post and reason for joining!

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the Fire beichling1.

Nice, well loved looking rifle you have there. :mrgreen: I'm sure one of our Winchester experts will be along shortly.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Nice rifle and welcome,
My 94 saddle ring carbine from 1916 has the same Pacific sight that was on it when I got it in 1958. I know it's valuable but shoot it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Welcome......... from a florida Levergunner...

found this on your winny
Model 53 Winchester Rifles - In 1924, Winchester introduced the Model 53 lever-action rifle as a more modern version of the 1892 Winchester. The Model 53 was available in 44-40, 32-20, and 25-20 calibers. This rifle could be ordered only with a round 22 inch barrel, the forearm smooth, half-magazine, a plain or pistol grip walnut straight-grip stock, and shotgun butt. The frame and barrel were blued and had either a solid or takedown feature like yours.

The Model 53 was manufactured through 1932 with approximately 25,000 guns produced during the 8-year production period. The Model 53 was discontinued along with several other Winchester models because it could just not compete in sales with the 1894 and the impact of the Great Depression on Winchester Arms.

This gun is very, very collectible and sought after...KirkD is the man to talk to...

To determine the market value go to Gunbroker.com
and search for a gun closest to yours...you can also
go to guns international or auctionarms, or gunsamerica....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome and that is clearly a treasure, one those everyone would like to have. Feel free to PM KirkD - he will be interested to see that.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Nice old Winchester, I say use it and enjoy it. You aren't going to hurt it if you take resonable care of it. It's been used enough that you don't have to worry about it being perfect forever, but good enough to be able to appreciate it's abilities.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Welcome,You sure know how to make an entrance. :) . what a Treasure You have there. As the others have said Kirk D will love to see that old Girl.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Welcome beichling 1, very nice Rifle for sure. I have a 53 with a stainless steel barrel in 25-20. They r handy little rifles and very collectable. As others have menyioned Kirk D is the Man for info on 53s. He is compiling information on them. He was extremely helpful with what is right and what is wrong with Mine.
Again "Welcome" post often. Very good start, U have pictures.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
ArcticGoose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ArcticGoose »

Welcome aboard! I have a solid frame 53 in 32-20 and love it. Being that it's a family gun, I'd say it's value is priceless. Shoot it, enjoy it, and pass it along.
"Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not used one or is un-wittingly commenting on their marksmanship." Phil Shoemaker
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Wait a minute. . . are you related to Ysabel Kid...?
Are you related to Ysabel Kid.JPG
(He always manages to have his feet/slippers in his gun photos 8) ).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Nice looking rifle - for starters :) - and welcome aboard!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

AJMD429 wrote:Wait a minute. . . are you related to Ysabel Kid...?

(He always manages to have his feet/slippers in his gun photos 8) ).
I was thinking that too!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Welcome! I sent you a PM.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
beichling1
Levergunner

Post by beichling1 »

Thank you everybody for the welcome! I will post better pictures shortly and I even intend to actually set up a measured range in order to provide accuracy information. Thanks for the advice about value and use. I like to carry this rifle when out and about and will keep doing so. A friend of mine is going to start producing handloads for me as well. This will make my ammo supply problems disappear. As far as the boots in the picture go-they were close when I needed to prop up the rifle, lol. A friend of mine is itching to borrow the Win. this fall for deer. Easy deal for some steaks. Again thank you. I do own many firearms and hope to be able to contribute to this forum in the future.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Welcome. Unless the best of friends, I would be slow to lend out a family piece like that. It sure is nice.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
beichling1
Levergunner

Post by beichling1 »

I understand the trepidation about loaning friends firearms. Two way street though and he is a close friend and serious firearm collector (though not a levergun guy). I have the highest trust in him. He knows how to take care of firearms. And a freezer full of meat is worth the chance:)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Wow Brett you really know how to make an entrance. Not only do you post a picture right off you post it of such a highly desirable rifle.

Welcome!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice introduction and you did it right the first time with pics. Great piece of history, priceless. Welcome to the forum.
Old Law Dawg
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Welcome aboard. Heck of a first post beautiful ole rifle. :mrgreen:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Welcome Ching! :D :D :D Hello from Northern Nev.

LeverBob
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome aboard! :D
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

late to the meeting, again. :roll:

like everybody else :mrgreen:

welcome.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Gobblerforge wrote:Welcome. Unless the best of friends, I would be slow to lend out a family piece like that. It sure is nice.
Gobbler

Amen to that, especially one that nice. A modern gun that can be repaired or replaced...yeah, but that one??? I've loaned guns many times and probably 50% of the time they've come back damaged in some way. Now I keep a SKS beater for a loaner.

BTW, glad ta see ya. :wink:

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.