Rebounding Winchester Hammer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dodge City
Levergunner

Rebounding Winchester Hammer

Post by Dodge City »

This week I finally added cowboy examples to my collection after watching a library DVD of Steve Mcqueen's Bounty Hunter by purchasing a new Win 92(44mag) and a used Henry 92(22LR) and my 1st impressions of each were quite different, both then and now, three days later due to the unanticipated rebounding hammer on the new Winchester. I actually loved the used Henry and disliked the new Win92 because I thought the Winchester was defective since the hammer wouldn't close fully. Then I learned about the rebounding hammer on the Winchester was a designed effect(oddly that added more intrigue). The rebounding hammer achieved the same disquieting effect on me as the warning stamped on new barrels saying "read the owners manual".

I have solved the hammer dilemma and now I'm very pleased to own both 92s. My Dremel finally found a use that it was perfectly suited for.
kenken0269
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Rebounding Winchester Hammer

Post by kenken0269 »

What did you do with the dremel?

pics

kenken
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

kenken0269 wrote:What did you do with the dremel?
pics
kenken
+1

But, regardless, Image and Welcome to THE Forum "Dodge City".
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
264 Win Mag
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 264 Win Mag »

I have read so many things regarding the rebounding hammer I am officially confused. Would someone please give me the "Readers Digest" version of what it is and what it does. I have one of the new Model 94 rifles with it and all I know is it is supposed to be a bad thing but I don't know why. :roll:

Thomas
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The rebounding hammer uses a two pronged hammer strut so that spring pressure will push the hammer away from the firing pin extension in the locking lug... effectively making it "safer" to keep a round in the chamber with the hammer down as the hammer doesn't actually rest on the pin. But... in many cases this "springing back" of the hammer, reduces the force the hammer can hit the firing pin with and often cause light hammer strikes, not firing the cartridge.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JBledsoe
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JBledsoe »

264 Win Mag wrote:I have read so many things regarding the rebounding hammer I am officially confused. Would someone please give me the "Readers Digest" version of what it is and what it does. I have one of the new Model 94 rifles with it and all I know is it is supposed to be a bad thing but I don't know why. :roll:

Thomas
Hi Thomas,

I have a number of Winchesters (small collection) that have the rebounding hammer. From day one of production Winchester has had a "half cock" feature in which the hammer could be withdrawn from resting on the firing pin. The half cock position was a safety feature that permitted carry with a live round in chamber. However, the hammer had to be manually engaged in half cock, otherwise it rested on the firing pin/primer, not good.

The rebounding hammer is simply a mechanism to return the hammer to half cock position automatically. Thus an added safety feature. Those who are opposed to change and improvements call it a "bad thing". It sets a safety feature on automatically, you decide if that is a bad thing, but decide for yourself and not what others tell you to think.

264 Win Mag
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 264 Win Mag »

I appreciate the information gentlemen. I did not mean to hijack the thread but now I know what the rebounding hammer is all about. I have an older Model 94 that has the half-cock feature and I like it much better than the crossbolt type safety's I have on some of my rifles.

Thomas
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Dodge,Welcome to the forum. just rember if You ever sell or trade that rifle it should be returned back to factory specs first.if there was an accident with it some lawyers would have a field day.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

What I've found is that the rebounding hammer's spring is stronger than the older designs, and it takes more effort to cock the hammer, in turn requiring more energy in working the lever to cycle the bolt. Trigger pull is also affected, for the same reason.
Not as smooth as the older Winchesters, not nearly as smooth as the Rossi I have that was worked over by Steve Young.

I have a new loaner .45 Colt Winchester Model 92 here waiting for its turn, still undecided on keeping it at the end.
I do not like the rebounder or the tang safety, or the barrel stampings, but it's nicely done otherwise.
Denis
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »