OT--Question For The Garand/M1A--with cast- Boys

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

OT--Question For The Garand/M1A--with cast- Boys

Post by Sixgun »

Howdy guys,
I spent the day shooting several hundred rounds of ammo out of a newly acquired M-1 Garand (1953 N.M.) and a new Springfield Armory M-1A N.M. I had a blast. It was a joke to hit far-a-way things like the 385 meter turkey with 5 shots on the breast in a 3 inch circle. (M1-A w/jacketed AND a 3X9 Redfield) :D

It all reminded me why I started to shoot cast bullets back in the seventies. There has to be some kind of a challenge. :D

In addition to lots of various jacketed ammo for the Garand (including original 1941 WCC military ball--(they ALL went off) I brought along 50 rounds of cast '06s that I shoot out of a Smith Carona 03A3. They shot great out of the Garand, but needed help in the ejection department due to it being lighter.

My question is ---is it OK to shoot cast out of these semi-autos? I realize I will have to "up" the powder charge in order for the action to cycle, but am concerned on the "lead fouling" of the gas system :D As it ain't nothing for me to shoot 3-5 hundred rounds in an afternoon, I'm trying to keep the costs down.

Thanks guys----------------------------------------------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT--Question For The Garand/M1A--with cast- Boys

Post by 2ndovc »

Jack,

i was told not to shoot cast bullets from my M1 long time ago by a good friend that
shot religously at Camp Perry. Didn't give me any real reason, he just happened to
see my cast loads for my '03-A3 ( which has always been far more accurate than any
M1 / M1A that I've ever had.)

That being said, you are FAR more literate in the cast bullet/ reloading world than
I ever hope to be so maybe a really hard cast bullet might work.
"Give it a shot" :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

All the cautions I ever got about cast bullets in gas operated semi-autos came from M1 shooters. I will not be doing that.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Try contacting Veral Smith or look on his forum over on graybeard's outdoor forums.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

I have had good luck using cast bullets in Garand. The leading problem in the gas piston is over rated. Just be sure to remove the operating rod and clean the lead off of it on the end. Use a well fitting brass brush to clean the cylinder of the gas system. Only problem I could think of is if you get carried away on rapid fire. I use a 195 grain spitzer gas checked bullet with enough powder to get sure ejection. The bullet is very accurate, of course I have a two groove barrel which helps I believe. Clean the lead out every 100 rounds or so and I doubt you will have any problems. I routinely use wheelweight alloy with Alox 50-50 lube. Makes me want to dig out my casting stuff and load some up. Good Luck and use common sense on working up loads. I don't use fillers. ATB
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cliff wrote:I have had good luck using cast bullets in Garand. The leading problem in the gas piston is over rated. Just be sure to remove the operating rod and clean the lead off of it on the end. Use a well fitting brass brush to clean the cylinder of the gas system.
That makes sense - unlike the AR-15's "tube" system, there really isn't all that much to clean out on a Garand, M-1A, or Ruger Mini-14...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

mmmmm..........Thanx! Now I'm thinking... (and that ain't easy :D ) Like Cliff says, I also believe that shooting cast in gas operated guns is overrated. There are probably a few "do's and don'ts" such as lube, hardness, sizing, velocity, rapidity of fire-------just like there is in any gun.---------the quest continues :D -------------------------Sixgun

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah - I just wouldn't do it in the funky "tube" gas system like the AR, because there are just too many places to get fouling and have to clean...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
I have been shooting cast in my Garands (3) since day one when I bought the first. I use the RCBS 180 Gas check flat nose. That bullet runs fine in all my caliber 30 rifles. Our range is only 300 yards but I can smack any gong hanging very regular. Straight WW .310 diameter and pushed to 2350 fps with any Garand powder.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

missionary5155 wrote:Good morning
I have been shooting cast in my Garands (3) since day one when I bought the first. I use the RCBS 180 Gas check flat nose. That bullet runs fine in all my caliber 30 rifles. Our range is only 300 yards but I can smack any gong hanging very regular. Straight WW .310 diameter and pushed to 2350 fps with any Garand powder.

Mr. Missionary,
Thank you! :D I now have the encouragement to bypass that $160 box (500) of 168 Sierra matchkings at the gunshop. Just like anything else, I will use common sense and also take Doc's advice of the AR-15 guns--but then again, that little .223 never did much for me anyway---and I have no 30 cal AR's.

This is for the Garand and the M1-A. Thank you gentlemen, I bow to you :D -------------Sixgun

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

IIRC there is also a book on the NRA bookshelf called the book of the M-1 Garand or something like that.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Rusty wrote:IIRC there is also a book on the NRA bookshelf called the book of the M-1 Garand or something like that.

Thanks Rusty!,
I've had my head buried in old leverguns/revolvers for so long I almost forgot what "velocity faster than 2K was" :D Gots to reeducate.----------------Sixgun