35 REM short barrels

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

35 REM short barrels

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

I was wondering if any of you fine Gentlemen (and Ladies) have any experience with short barrels in the 35 REM chambering. Just interested in velocities and how loud it may be with let's say an 16.5-18" barrel. Is it a worthwhile thing to do? I have a Marlin 336CS (early '80's) that is beggin' to get chopped! :D

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Hobie

Re: 35 REM short barrels

Post by Hobie »

I thought you were going to ask about 10" barrels. 16.5-18", not much difference due to bore expansion ratio. You might be able to hear a difference but it isn't much. As usual, velocities might depend more on other bore dimensions than just the length.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had a pair of the Marlin 336D's in 35 REM . These rifles had 18 3/4" ported barrels and I liked them quite a bit !

I have a circa 1966 Marlin in 444 I'm taking in to wack the barrel to 18 3/4" tommorrow as a matter of fact .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Hook

Post by Hook »

My Marlin has a 24" bbl, but I do have a M600 Rem with an 18.5" or thereabouts bbl. I've used it for years, killed several deer with it, and have never had an issue with muzzle blast or loss of effectiveness.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I have two Marlins in 35 Rem. The older 24" bbl has regular rifling, while the newer 20" bbl has the microgroove. I've chronographed several different loads with 180 grain and 205 grain jacketed bullets. With the same loads there is virtually no detectable difference, but if anything the 20" bbl has shown a slight velocity advantage. In short, I don't think the 35 Rem will gain or loose much velocity over a couple inches of barrel length from my very limited observation.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have one of the 336D's as well. I think the porting makes it a bit louder but didn't really seam to be that much of a bigger boom. Really like that short barrel.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

A guy at our gun club has a TC Contender in 30 Herret with barrel of 10 inches. The 30 Herret is a shortened 30-30 case which was popular 35 years ago with single shot pistoleros. It is definitely a loud one and annoying to adjacent shoots on the line. But as a hunting carbine, I would not be overly cautious about muzzle blast.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

The difference between a 16" and 20" barrel firing 150 30-30 Winchester ammo is right around 100 fps, which results in no practical effect. And as Hobie stated the bore expansion ratio is much better in the 35 Remington than a 30-30, so the velocity drop should be even less. As far as noise goes, it's loud either way. So cut to away. I think a 35 Remington "trapper" carbine would be peaches.
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

My 15 inch TC Contender pistol in 35 Rem will push 200 gr bullets close to 2000 ft/sec with by the book reloads. A 16.5" carbine should do a little better, and that isn't all that far from factory ammo specs.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Tom, I used to shoot/hunt with a .35 Rem Contender Super 14 (B 4 I moved to a .375 Win), that I didn't think bad at all - even though it was equipped with the issue Muzzle Tamer brake.

It wasn't until I moved to a scoped .45-70 Super 14 Hunter, that things started to get a little uncomfortable, forcing me to install Pachmayr rubber bumpers.