Inaccurate Savage99 Brush Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Inaccurate Savage99 Brush Gun

Post by big bear »

Went o range yesterday Winchester 94 in 375 Win clusters my reloads in 2" or less groups. It would appear to be intrinsically accurate as all loads cluster quite tightly, point of impact from load to load varies, but all in tight clusters :D The Savage however shoots patterns, it's a 358Win Modl 99 with Leupold 3x scope.I have never had such a poor shooting rifle :( With factory ammo and two, 200gr reloads I never get better than 4-6" "groups" at 100 yds. I was getting half that size group with my peep sight 94.The reloads are recommended loads from Ken Water's writing.Rifle bore is clean, sight mount good, nothing loose mechanical. Suggestions?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

big bear,

Glad to hear about your Winchester, sorry about the Savage.

The only suggestions are the usual generic things to check: muzzle crown, scope mounting screws, forearm mounting screws, pressure spots against the barrel, butt stock tightness.
Those kind of things.

Good luck on the project.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sgt443
Levergunner

Post by Sgt443 »

Big Bear,

Also check out the Savage 99 Campfire. I recall seeing some posts that talk about bedding the forearm.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... /40/page/1

Good luck.

Lonnie
If I am a student of the Human Condition does that make everyone I meet a lab rat?
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Big Bear,
Probably the best solution would be to sell that inaccurate Savage to me.
I sold my .358 Savage several years ago, and would like to buy a replacement.

email: jeff@gunblast.com
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

If the screws and mounts are tight, I bet the scope is at fault. I have a small box of scopes that went bad during my shooting days, and yes, theres a Leopold and a Redfield in the bunch.---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Sixgun wrote:If the screws and mounts are tight, I bet the scope is at fault. I have a small box of scopes that went bad during my shooting days, and yes, theres a Leopold and a Redfield in the bunch.---------Sixgun
NO SIXGUN! THE SCOPE IS FINE!!!
He is selling that inaccurate rifle to me!
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

Mine never shoot well either, tryed several handloads and different factory, none would group very well, best were some very old factory silver tips

Sold the rifle, and got a W356 AE More accurate but not as reliable
( jams )

Should have kept the Savage,.....
Retro
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Retro »

I've never heard of an inaccurate '99 but I guess there's always a first time. Sell that gun to Jeff.

(Psst, Jeff... you owe me :-)
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Oversize bore?
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

If you have ruled out the obvious you might try another, proven scope. Scopes go bad all to often. Regards. 1886
Dirty Dan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Dirty Dan »

Ditto- Bad scope. I have a 3x Leupold that is no good. I shot at a spike 4 times over a 20 min. time span this season and never scratched a hair, ran out of ammo, came down from the stand and stepped the distance (again). It was right at 100 yds. I came home and replaced the scope and presto ! tight groups again. Killed an 8 pt the following week.
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. - John Steinbeck
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

375 winchester

Post by dgr416 »

Try speer .375 235 gr bullets.I loaded them with 35 grs of AA1680 to start.It shot 1" groups in my big bore 94 single shot.You will have to deep seat them to feed probally.They are my favorite 375 winchester bullet.My gun does not like the 220 gr hornady.It shjoots 4" groups with them most of the time at 100 yards.I also shot some 270 ge hornady they did pretty good too.I like the speer 235 gr best of all.Try them single shot first so you dont jam your magazine.I tested almost 20 different 375 bullets in my big bore 94.The aa1680 powder will push the 220 gr 2400 fps out of the 375 winchester but the bullets failed at that speed.You wont hurt those 235 gr speer bullets at 2350 fps.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Jeff Quinn wrote:Big Bear,
Probably the best solution would be to sell that inaccurate Savage to me.
I sold my .358 Savage several years ago, and would like to buy a replacement.

email: jeff@gunblast.com
:lol: :lol: FUNNY GUY! You and I both know how hard these are to comeby, nice try though!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Big bear,
I would take the forend right off the gun and shoot it with the front of the receiver on the rest. Most of the time, guns with two piece stocks seem to show problems from the way that the forend is attached.
If your groups improve, you will know what to do to fix it, or you will eliminate one possible problem with a few shots.

Jack
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

If indeed the problem is not a loose scope mount or bad scope, my best guess would bedamage to the muzzle and/or crown. Might be damaged by bad cleaning from the muzzle.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

On second thought, I think the rifle is bad. I have never had a scope go bad---ever :D Beter sell the rifle to Jeff. (thanks for the twenty $$$, Jeff)--------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I would take the scope off, and check all the base screws. If you can get another scope, I would try that. Also, is the barrel squeeky clean?? There might be a problem there too. Recrown the barrel. Get a brass round head screw that is bigget than the hole in the barrel, put some grinding compound on it, and place it in your electric drill, and go to town. This takes only a few minutes, so don't over do it. If all these fail, sell the gun!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
30hrrtt
Levergunner

Post by 30hrrtt »

I got a 99 308 in great shape fairly cheap $250 that shot just as good, 6" groups with the remington 180's I got with the rifle. I pulled the bullets and reset them to the max length that would go through the rotary mag. Groups shrunk to 2".

After a dozen loads, I got some Hornady 180 round nose to group at about 1 1/2" inches.

I also got some cheap 150 Combined Technologies Partition Golds I picked up at Midway on special to shoot close to an inch.

I know it's a 308 and not your 358 but the groups were all over the place while finding the right combo.

Took a big 10 pointer with it this last year.

It was fun going through the different combos trying to get it to shoot.
dgr416
Levergunner 2.0

375 winchester

Post by dgr416 »

Sell it to me I will find the right load for it.Some guns can be very irrating to find accurate loads for.I once had a ruger redhawk 44 mag that shot 18 feet low at 25 yards.What double trouble try double rifles.I have two muzzleloading rifles that will drive you nuts trying to get the right load for.It took about 40 hours of shooting to get the barrels to shoot together.My 375 jdj was fun.It kicked so hard the first time I shot it that it bent the scope mount.Then it blew its self open.Then it broke the sear now it fires after you cock it and leave the hammer cocked.I have had lots of pain in but guns I sell most of them.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I feel your pain big bear, you came here to express your stress and all you got in return were comedians! LIFES ROUGH ON LEVERGUNS! :D