Marlin 336ER serial numbers.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Marlin 336ER serial numbers.

Post by FWiedner »

Anybody know what the serial number range(s) is (are) for the Marlin 336ER?

I know that mine was manufactured in 1983, but I'm trying to figure out where it was on the assembly line.

Just curious.

:?: :mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
JBledsoe
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Marlin 336ER serial numbers.

Post by JBledsoe »

The 336ER (extended range) was manufactured from 1983 - 86. Only 2441 were reported to have been made making them a bit scarce.

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Yeah.

I'm trying to discover the serial numbers "lots".

Mine is 171540XX.

I'm trying to devine whether this indicates that mine is among the first hundred made, or in the first production run, or whatever.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The 17 prefix makes it a 1983.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Call Marlin/Remington/Cerebus and tell them the seriel number they may be able to give you an exact production date or they may not be willing to tell you anything !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Well... yeah. OK. Thanks for helping me to arrive at a 1983 serial number. I appreciate the effort.

I'm really trying to discover whether the production number is as low as it seems by finding our what the range of serial numbers is, that is, what sequence/range of serial numbers were used/issued in 1983, what sequence/range in 1984, what sequence/range in 1985, and what sequence/range of serial numbers were used/issued in 1986. 1983-1986 were the production years, right?

I'me sure there are numbers out there lower than mine, but mine is two digits in the first year of production.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

FWiedner wrote:I'm really trying to discover whether the production number is as low as it seems by finding our what the range of serial numbers is, that is, what sequence/range of serial numbers were used/issued in 1983, what sequence/range in 1984, what sequence/range in 1985, and what sequence/range of serial numbers were used/issued in 1986. 1983-1986 were the production years, right?

I'me sure there are numbers out there lower than mine, but mine is two digits in the first year of production.

You may or may not be aware of this but Marlin had a rather distastefull habit of serielizing the guns before they were actually finished in production so your rifle could have been serialized very early in the scheme as far as numbers are concerned but not actually finished until much later . Thats whay I say call them and see if they'll give you an actual date or any other helpfull information .

FWIW , I had a pair of the 336ER's about 2 years ago and I don't remmember the seriel numbers other then both the ones I had were made in 1983 .
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'm sure that parts get moved around on an assembly line in every business, especially in a business where some hand finishing is required.

What I know is that the serial number looks to be under 100 and I actually had it in my hands in June of 1983, there was no ammo available, but dang it, I had the gun. LOL.

I suspect that yours is the best advice. Go to the source and ask.

Thanks for your suggestion!

:mrgreen:

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

FWiedner wrote:I suspect that yours is the best advice. Go to the source and ask.

Thanks for your suggestion!
I hope they can help you but don't be surprised if the arrogant ***'s decline !

I think the call center is for all of Remington , Marlin and H&R . Anyway I've been trying to get hold of the Remington custom shop for 3 weeks now ! They do not answer the phone and do not return calls even if you leave a call back number !