OT--Carrying guns in British Columbia, Canada

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT--Carrying guns in British Columbia, Canada

Post by getitdone1 »

What's the law regarding an American carrying a gun for defense against bears in British Columbia, Canada? I'd like to hike over some country up there but not if I have to go unarmed in grizzly country.

When I say gun I mean rifle. I think they, generally, have a low opinion of handguns and few can legally carry them.

Don
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT--Carrying guns in British Columbia, Canada

Post by 86er »

Here's the info we provide our US hunters going to Canada, and the same procedure we use when we visit a sporting clays club and shooting preserve just over the VT border:

Visitors may import non-restricted firearms (shotgun/rifle) into Canada for legitimate purposes:

sporting or hunting use during hunting season;
use in competitions;
in-transit movement (i.e., moving in the most direct route possible from Point A to Point B) through Canada; or
personal protection against wildlife in remote areas of Canada, as long as the customs officer is satisfied that the circumstances warrant the firearm being imported.
Import 200 rounds duty free for hunting purposes, or up to 1,500 rounds duty free for use at a recognized competition.

When entering Canada with a firearm a "Nonresident Firearm Declaration" must be completed.

The declaration is available at all border crossings, but can be downloaded and filled out prior to arrival.

The declaration is good for 60 days. It cost $25 Canadian, paid at point of entry.
You can receive an extension to your Declaration from the Chief Firearms Office for the province you are visiting.
To extend your Declaration, call the Canadian Firearm Center and they will connect you. The extension must be granted prior to the 60-day expiry and requires no additional fee.
You must be at least 18 years old to bring a firearm into Canada.

The declaration is only valid for the person who signs the declaration.

You can be processed by Canadian Customs in under twenty minutes.

Firearms temporarily imported, using a confirmed Non-Resident Firearms Declaration, must be removed from Canada on your departure.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks, Joe. I'm not Don, but that's good info to know.
Old Law Dawg
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

I know this is off-topic, but it's an amusing aside:

A friend of mine who moved to Alaska drove from Oregon to Alaska and had to fill out the Canadian paperwork to transport his Model 70 Winchester and Remington 870. It went seamlessly. When he arrived at the Alaskan border, the US Border Patrol agent asked him if he had anything to declare. He replied, "I've got two guns and half a bottle of whiskey in the trunk."

"Welcome to Alaska!" she said, and waved him through.

:lol:

Rob
NRA
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Kinda sad really. Back in '84 I drove from SoCal to Alaska in my Jeep. The "road" was well sorta a road in spots. But when I entered Canada, I told the nice young fellow, in the natty uniform, that I had a handgun and a rifle. He ask where I was bound, and I told him Alaska. He told me to have a good trip, and drive safely. I guess back then they weren't afraid I'd detour to Calgary and shoot up the town.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Things changed here. Once I carried my Mk4 Series 70 openly while hiking. it was technically not legal but I had the target club carry permit and the officer or two I bumped into agreed I was target shooting, cost me a couple cilp full but it was ok.

Interestingly, they are now allowing trappers to carry a pistol. That really is a big leap in the right direction for us. I got lots of Cree and Lubicon family who might like this. If I was younger and richer I'd buy a line and shoulder holster for my little J frame S&W 22 or a vintage 32-20, oh dreams.

I lived in the NWT and upper Arctic for years. The news was common of tourists hiking on some of the great old gold rush trails. It was common to find bones in scat and a loaded rifle at the camp site. Never hear a word about it south though, bad for business. We learned to recognize bear trails. They are old, deep and habitually used in that country. Camp near one and look out. It is a safe and fun country to hike through that any competent hunter can enjoy. Bug season will drive an unprotected stranded man crazy, literally. Load heavy and hot and see something that is disappearing too fast.

Welcome to Canada by the way. You might want to train up on some strong malt beer, ours has some kick to it.