Dove Season 2011 ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Dove Season 2011 ?

Post by cshold »

Ok, dove season’s right around the corner… 8)
What’re ya’ll using this year for the standard average of 5 to 8 birds per-box of shells?
casastahle: he's just chompin at the bit to get out there with his little “Parker girl”
0 frame 16 ga.he spent to much money on back in Jan. for his 50th birthday gift to himself. :D

Last edited by cshold on Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Dove Season 2011 ?

Post by rock-steady »

A 1977 model Remington 870 Wingmaster in 20 Gauge. I discovered years ago that I can miss with a 20ga just as good as a 12ga. :oops:
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

rock-steady wrote:A 1977 model Remington 870 Wingmaster in 20 Gauge. I discovered years ago that I can miss with a 20ga just as good as a 12ga. :oops:
LOL I'm sure we all can relate to that :wink:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

16 gauge ? definitely the way to go. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

First day will be using my Parker Trojan, 16ga, 2 1/2" chambers.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Don`t hunt em but nice old shot gun and good luck. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Went dove hunting once in AZ. Used a Sears Mdl 200 12 ga pump. Fired two shots, got three birds. When I plucked 'em and found out just how little meat they had, I said to myself: Self, this ain't worth the cost and effort."
Never went again.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well if I make the opener this year I'll more then likely be carrying my grandfathers old Pre 1897 damascus barreled "W.C. Scott 10 gauge 2 7/8" shooting my own handloads !

The second picture has our Kerner 16 gauge that I carried along on a January dove shoot last year incase I had some really long shots ! That ones fuller and fuller !

I wish I had some pics of my circa 1910 Parker Brothers 16 gauge GH 2 1/2" damascus gun ! Also wish I had a loader set up for 2 1/2" 16's . Then I just might consider the Parker instead of the old WC !
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

J Miller wrote:Went dove hunting once in AZ. Used a Sears Mdl 200 12 ga pump. Fired two shots, got three birds. When I plucked 'em and found out just how little meat they had, I said to myself: Self, this ain't worth the cost and effort."
Never went again.

Joe
I'm with yeah there Joe, "BUT" the one's that do make it to the kitchen
make for some mighty fine dinning, the ones that don't, make for some
Mighty fine practice. :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Rizzini 20 gauge, sxs with heavy target loads. Anxious to start the season.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I'll probably hunt every Fri-Sun of the first month and use a different gun every day.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Up here in the great white north dove hunting is not done. I assume we are talking mourning doves. They are here in numbers (more so in some areas) they have a season but not a big deal re opening day etc. where I live in Quebec it is ruffed grouse and duck opening day that gets the blood of the avid hunter moving. doves are sort of looked at as pests and not table fare. What does the meat taste like and best way to prepare it? (don't say tastes like chicken) I might just try to take a few just to try them but don't want to waste the meat by inproper preparation. Thanks
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I hope to do some dove shooting this year.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I gave up dove shooting some years ago, but still take some old timers out for a hunt. It's lots more fun to watch them bang away at the little demons. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

iceman wrote: What does the meat taste like and best way to prepare it? (don't say tastes like chicken) I might just try to take a few just to try them but don't want to waste the meat by inproper preparation. Thanks
Here we pop the breasts out and discard the rest . Some like to barbecue them , some like to fry them . But I prefer to wrap each one with a strip of bacon and broil them in the oven !
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

6pt got it about smack on...
About 6 to 8 dove breasts wrapped in Bacon strips
Lightly braised in an old Griswold frying pan.
Mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy and corn on
the cob. Now that's a meal right there. :wink:
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

6pt, you are now only the third person insane enough to shoot doves with a 10ga (me being one, and I know of another down in Texas that does)

Here in Nebraska, lucky to get in about 3 good hunts then done. Use Parker one day, the 16ga Citori the next, and then is toss up, 24 gauge, 10ga, Sweet 16's Ruger Gold label, Citori upland 12ga, etc etc etc.

Hoping they get some rain and SOON down in Texas, trying to plan trip down there with brother. He will probably shoot a boring 20ga.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Marlin32 wrote:6pt, you are now only the third person insane enough to shoot doves with a 10ga (me being one, and I know of another down in Texas that does)

Here in Nebraska, lucky to get in about 3 good hunts then done. Use Parker one day, the 16ga Citori the next, and then is toss up, 24 gauge, 10ga, Sweet 16's Ruger Gold label, Citori upland 12ga, etc etc etc.

Hoping they get some rain and SOON down in Texas, trying to plan trip down there with brother. He will probably shoot a boring 20ga.
I have a 12 and a 20 to match my 10 gauge !

There was a 16 gauge that was originally with the 12 and 20 but that one got away from us before we could get all 3 from the original owner !

A year or two down the road I'll get the 12 and 20 going also as they're both damascus and 2 1/2" .

Between the three WC's and my GH Parker I'm fairly set for shotguns I think !

I have several other SxS's and a couple O/U's . But I really like shooting my grandfathers old gun . And to be honest the WC's and the Parker all have connections in the past based on their history etc !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

casastahle wrote:6pt got it about smack on...
About 6 to 8 dove breasts wrapped in Bacon strips
Lightly braised in an old Griswold frying pan.
Mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy and corn on
the cob. Now that's a meal right there. :wink:

Sometimes it doesn't hurt also to add some venison tenderloin chunks also wrapped in bacon and seared quickly to about medium rare !

I kinda like venison and dove together with tossed salad or cole slaw , cornbread and fried taters !
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I like 12g o/u's for doves, with 26 in. barrels and skeet chokes.
I do most of my bird hunting in W. Texas, and the sad fact is if we don't get some rain soon (right)
the won't be any dern birds to hunt. The quail are thick though usually.
You fellas got to put a slice of fresh jalepeno into each side of the breast before the bacon wrap. It is the key ingredient.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

casastahle wrote:
J Miller wrote:Went dove hunting once in AZ. Used a Sears Mdl 200 12 ga pump. Fired two shots, got three birds. When I plucked 'em and found out just how little meat they had, I said to myself: Self, this ain't worth the cost and effort."
Never went again.

Joe
I'm with yeah there Joe, "BUT" the one's that do make it to the kitchen
make for some mighty fine dinning, the ones that don't, make for some
Mighty fine practice. :wink:
Down here in the South....
Its not really about the dove shoot....and what it cost in ammo
but getting together with your buddies...having a good time
and having a BBQ afterwards!

Its kinda like shooting 5 stand...but harder....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Dove hunting "It's kinda like shooting 5 stand... but harder..."

Great tag line 8)
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Post by redlevel42 »

I'll be shooting a double-gun of some kind, probably a 20 gauge Parker Trojan that my great uncle bought in 1913 0r 1914. He left it to my Daddy, and Daddy gave it to me when I was 12. I was a little disappointed because several of my buddies had comparatively new Stevens 311s. :D That was 50 years ago. If I get tired of using the Parker, I will change over to the Stevens A&T Co 215 12 gauge hammer gun that belonged to my wife's Granddaddy. I use 2.5" low pressure shells in the old girls. If I get real serious, I'll unpack my Browning BSS 20 gauge Sporter. No matter what I use, I'll wind up shaking my head and wondering how I missed all those easy shots.
Georgia On My Mind
vonfatman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by vonfatman »

I have not hunted dove for several years....too many! But this year, we have a nice harvested wheat field behind the house that is just full of grain. In about two weeks, I'm going to take my Grasshopper out there and will mow (very short) several areas and I expect we will have trouble keeping the guns loaded!

Bob
"Onward thru the Fog"
hammerman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hammerman »

I usually pick between my three shotguns. An h&r topper 410, and my bernardelli hammerguns in 12 and 20.

I have a feeling the 410 and 20 gauge will get used the most. I've been looking for a hammergun in 16 and 410 to go with my others.

I usually just roll the breasts in flour, salt and pepper and fry them. But I'm going to have to try the bacon and jalapeno thing.
Only Winchester levers, one custom 356 top eject bigbore