Surprise! Another Final Post.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Surprise! Another Final Post.

Post by LeverBar »

The responses to my tread "Nearly time to take a bow--OUT. Forum is changing. EDITED" has served to illustrate some of what I had attempted to bring light to in my post. People here are not reading the words toward an understanding of others' ideas. Instead, they are gleaning what they would like to react to, perhaps to be combative, maybe to confront others--reasons ?. Whatever the motivation, it is not attractive. It is not admirable.

It is much easier to rip on others than to show a touch of restraint.

Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkeness illustrates a great point of human nature--well, many excellent aspects of our character. But one point he does make illustrates "restraint." The cannibals on the boat, working for a low wage are quite hungry. The whites on the boat are namby pamby wimpy complainers when all the while they have it very easy in comparison to the cannibals and other Black people aboard. These cannibals have sharpened teeth, empty stomachs, and are overworked--and our man in charge, a white man, knows the look in their eyes--He knows they know they could easily take the boat, and eat the Whities. But they don't. They hired on to do a job. They were honorable in doing it, while fighting their cultural urges, bodily urges, and perhaps even their mental urges to get rid of those despicable Whites. They practiced great restraint. They were/are fictional characters, but they are based on true people. I don't doubt that Conrad was on the boat with this group of men while they practiced their restraint. I admire them.

There are members of this forum that I admire also. I can tell at times that they feel strongly about an idea and want to set-the-record-straight. But they hold off their attacks. I have much respect for these people.

So, now I am out of here. I'm going to see what it takes to get my name off this forum. Those of you who sent me PMs, I won't be able to read them nor be able to respond to them after I figure out how to become a non-member.

To those of you who delight in your negative influences, I will keep my wish for you to myself.

As for the honorable men who dwell here, may you wake each day to the offer of much good fortune.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Whatever. Don't let the door hit your butt on your way out.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Cocked & Locked
Levergunner

Post by Cocked & Locked »

Way too much drama for a Newbie like me! :roll:

C&L
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

claybob86 wrote:Whatever. Don't let the door hit your butt on your way out.
Sounds like good advice.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Welcome aboard Cocked & Locked. Dont worry, we arnt as bad as some may proclaim. Glad to see we get a new guy as the old ones hit the door.
We arnt all that cranky, I PROMISE!
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Cocked & Locked wrote:Way too much drama for a Newbie like me! :roll:

Glad to see you here, C&L!
.........THE TWINS..........

homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

It's disconcerting how brazen and rude people can be from behind the protection of a computer screen.

Leverbar, your point about restraint is well taken, but you're beating a dead horse. Our ratio of gentlemen to "other" has taken a turn for the worse.

At any social gathering, which is just what this site is, when unpalatable characters turn up and spoil things one has a choice: throw 'em out on their keesters, or head to greener pastures. I rue the fact that the first is not an option here.

Pearls to swine, sir.
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

LeverBar, you got your feelings hurt because somebody pointed out to you that today's kids are dumber than yesterday's kids. Face it. They are. 27 years of LE experience says so. Bad kids, good kids, new cops, all un-educated; but they feel good about themselves.
You cited a few examples of the product of today's touchy-feely education system. They were all emotional scenarios. I'm sure they all feel good about themselves, but they probably can't balance a check book, change a tire, tell you when WWII started or ended,tell you who the founding fathers were, or what the Bill of Rights consists of. I had one newbie tell me he wanted to hold a prisoner without bail. When told the prisoner had the right to bail his response was "Since when?" Yep. Public education does a great job. :roll:

If you're unhappy here, then leave. Otherwise, screw up your courage and post your sacred photo, and try changing the tone rather than complaining about it.
Last edited by BruceB on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Surprise! Another Final Post.

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

LeverBar wrote:So, now I am out of here. I'm going to see what it takes to get my name off this forum. Those of you who sent me PMs, I won't be able to read them nor be able to respond to them after I figure out how to become a non-member.
Oh, this is another one of those things that happens on some forums. The guy who is mad at the world and is going to quit the forum feels the need to start three more threads to offer his commentary about how poorly the other threads he started were recieved.

"This time I'm leaving, I really am this time, you can't stop me, don't even try, I will not read the posts that try to stop me, I can't see you...."
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Cocked & Locked wrote:Way too much drama for a Newbie like me! :roll:

Welcome to this forum Cocked and locked. I have been around here for about a year, have learned a lot about men, their hobbies, their likes in guns. I find many men here a lot like myself, they try to mind their own business, shoot and hunt, collect rifles and handguns, and love their country and it's freedoms. I see a trmendous pride these men have in protecting and loving their familes and especially their wives. Many of these men have tremendous spiritual qualities as well. You're in a good place here, learn from these guys, and teach us what you know. Bruce
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Leverbar--Stay--I would NEVER let ANYONE dictate my future-------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Caco
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Caco »

B 100
St Johns wort
Fish oil for omega 3's
A little more time shooting.
Stop by again when yer feeling better :)
Dave
Caco
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Caco »

Howdy & welcome Cocked & Locked :)
Dave
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

" Adios Amigos, time for me to say goodbye.....Oh, I'm back....I just took 2 days off to finish reading the Bible." Sound familiar ?
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Leverbar:

Prayers and sincere best wishes as you move forward. Life is a journey.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

cowboykell wrote:" Adios Amigos, time for me to say goodbye.....Oh, I'm back....I just took 2 days off to finish reading the Bible." Sound familiar ?
Ha! :D The other "dali lama"!
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sixgun wrote:Leverbar--Stay--I would NEVER let ANYONE dictate my future-------Sixgun
Amen.

Now, I'm here to moderate. How come nobody pointed out these personal attacks? While discussion of any subject is permitted and most views (acceptably stated) allowed, we just don't allow personal attacks, cussing, threats of violence, and such. If any such does occur and I miss it, I hope and expect you'll let either me, JimT or AmBraCol know about it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Cocked & Locked
Levergunner

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Cubrock...I think I saw you at a distance at the Greensboro GS Saturday. It was so crowded that I didn't try to fight my way over. Edward said that he saw you.

I'll seize the moment to post a pic of the 39A I bought from you sometime in the past!

C&L
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice 22. Gonna have to pick one of them up. Either a Marlin or Winnie.
Old Law Dawg
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Welcome aboard, C&L!

What model Ford is that which you use as a gunrack?

Noah
Cocked & Locked
Levergunner

Welcome aboard, C&L!

What model Ford is that which you use as a gunrack?

Noah
It is a 1941 9N...makes a fair gun rack as long as I don't forget to take the gun off.

C&L
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

I wish I had a Ford gun rack...

How about a wrecked Camaro gun rack?? :wink:
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

9N -- I used to run one of those for a summer job as a kid in the mid/late 60s. It had a 1000 lb bucket on the front and I loaded and moved around sand and aggregates. Got real good with using wheel brakes, but the 6V system was cranky at times.

Nice dog, too!

Noah
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

LeverBar wrote: So, now I am out of here. I'm going to see what it takes to get my name off this forum. Those of you who sent me PMs, I won't be able to read them nor be able to respond to them after I figure out how to become a non-member.
"Please,.Please,.Please stay! Don't run out on us...."

There, is that what you want? For goodness sake, are we back on the playground at recess? All this whining sounds like somebody needs their "Didee" changed.

There should be a minimum "skin thickness" requirement to join this forum.

If someone doesn't like this "PUBLIC" forum, then take a hike! I for one enjoy being here and I back that up with donated $, not unlike a bunch of other folks. Quit complaining and move on instead of telling those of us who enjoy this forum what changes we need to make.

I'm grateful for all the people I don't know behind the scenes who make this site work,..Moderators, IT guru's, $ deep pockets...etc,.

Thanks,

Andrew Davison
aka Deerwhacker444
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Welcome C&L. Nice pics and Rifle and Rifle Rack. Enjoy the fire, its always interesting.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

You Know I don't agree with everybody's opinion on here but I just figure there speaking there mind have that right That's' what a forums for I have not been a member long I see a lot of post bashing curtain issues politics for example but that's part of American freedom just grin and bear it :) :D :lol:
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

C&L'd, that is one sweet tractor you got there!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

C & L: Welcome. Now, you were at the old forum correct under another moniker? I never forget a tractor :D
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

C & L,
I see we two newbies have some common interests. Old tractors, huntin' dogs and leverguns, some of the best things in life!

1941 Farmall A ( Amos )
1997 German Wirehaired Pointer ( Wolfy )

Last edited by sureshot on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

By gum! This thread's starting to take a turn for the better! Love that tractor, sureshot. In addition to putting together an Old Winchester Calendar, I've thought about putting together a Classic Tractor Calendar. Why don't one of you fellows start a new thread that shows photos of the forum members' old Tractors? I'm sure a lot of us would enjoy it. Hopefully, other members with old tractors would post pics of theirs.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Wow! Nice 39a... how did I miss everybody at the GSO show? Oh, well...
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I'll say for myself, there hasn't been too much going on here to hold my interests. I browse the topics quick and move on. Too much "other stuff" going on, and too much of "the same stuff. Neither of which being the reason I started coming here.

Conversely... I've never gotten the "I'm leaving" act. It seems to me too much like someone craving attention, or someone hoping he'll get a ground swell of "oh please don't go" replies.

As I've said before, when I leave, you'll know it by my absence. Most won't notice at all. And it won't change the world either way.
Slow is just slow.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I know I always speak my mind, that way I'm sure to end the conversation quickly. :D
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

LeverBar wrote:The responses to my tread "Nearly time to take a bow--OUT. Forum is changing. EDITED" has served to illustrate some of what I had attempted to bring light to in my post. People here are not reading the words toward an understanding of others' ideas. Instead, they are gleaning what they would like to react to, perhaps to be combative, maybe to confront others--reasons ?. Whatever the motivation, it is not attractive. It is not admirable.

It is much easier to rip on others than to show a touch of restraint.

Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkeness illustrates a great point of human nature--well, many excellent aspects of our character. But one point he does make illustrates "restraint." The cannibals on the boat, working for a low wage are quite hungry. The whites on the boat are namby pamby wimpy complainers when all the while they have it very easy in comparison to the cannibals and other Black people aboard. These cannibals have sharpened teeth, empty stomachs, and are overworked--and our man in charge, a white man, knows the look in their eyes--He knows they know they could easily take the boat, and eat the Whities. But they don't. They hired on to do a job. They were honorable in doing it, while fighting their cultural urges, bodily urges, and perhaps even their mental urges to get rid of those despicable Whites. They practiced great restraint. They were/are fictional characters, but they are based on true people. I don't doubt that Conrad was on the boat with this group of men while they practiced their restraint. I admire them.

There are members of this forum that I admire also. I can tell at times that they feel strongly about an idea and want to set-the-record-straight. But they hold off their attacks. I have much respect for these people.

So, now I am out of here. I'm going to see what it takes to get my name off this forum. Those of you who sent me PMs, I won't be able to read them nor be able to respond to them after I figure out how to become a non-member.

To those of you who delight in your negative influences, I will keep my wish for you to myself.

As for the honorable men who dwell here, may you wake each day to the offer of much good fortune.

LeverBar;
HOPE YOU ARE HERE TO READ THIS!
Good luck to you in the future - whatever your choice. Now for a little story for you.
Several years ago I was involved in a discussion with some fellow ministers who had just asserted they were going to leave denomination over some proposed changes in denominational views, unless those views that had been proposed were changed. At this point a wise man suddenly (unexpectedly) pointed out:
"Everybody knows that rats will leave a sinking ship. However, nobody stops to think that with all the rats that have done that over the years - they have never stopped a ship from sinking. Thats left up to us rats that are determined to stay!"
That made up my mind to stay and preach what I knew was God's truth (and "lead by example") instead of following that wrong denominational decision. That has been nearly 20 years ago, and I have never regretted staying. May your decision work as well.
Grace and Peace,
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

LeverBar get you some big girl panties and stick around. Being around men can be tuff. We aren't in touch with our feminine side at times.

My dad and his tractor. He's plowing corn in heaven now.

"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

sureshot wrote:C & R,
I see we two newbies have some common interests. Old tractors, huntin' dogs and leverguns, some of the best things in life!

1941 Farmall A ( Amos )
1997 German Wirehaired Pointer ( Wolfy )

Hey! I drove a Cub bringing in the hay when I was a kid. Looked just like this one.

(The one with the wheels...)

:D
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Swampman, the John Deere tractor brings back a lot of good memories. I miss that 'chuf-chuf-chuf'.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I wonder what I missed? I recond it must have been on one of the political threads.

I wish I had a picture of my tractor to put up. It's a 74 Ford with a newer bucket on it, but it's auful dirty. You guys probably would not be impressed, but it does start even on the coldest day, and I darned well need it to, every time I feed cattle.

At anyrate I don't recond I am leaving anytime soon, at least not on my own free will. :)
JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnnyReb »

OK, gonna have to take up for Leverbar some......

Don't agree with his particular method..... I have left forums before because the content and/or language was alittle too raunchy. Doesn't really bother me but it almost looks like I agree with it or condone it if my kids see me participating on such a site.......anyway......... The way I left was that I just left.... no messages or preaching, etc.

Guess I agree with Leverbar on one point (or maybe it was another member who said it), some people get brave behind a computer screen. I grew up during the time of mostly person to person contact. We had to consider what we said because the wrong words could get you whupped! Now, sometimes it is worth the cost of an altercation but not always...
I have been on forums when people said things to others that I would make almost any man roll up his sleeves and swing. Personally, I don't remember seeing any such posts on this board, but maybe Leverbar took something that way.

My point is that I treat my posts like I am talking to a person face to face and try not to say anything offensive unless the same would be said in person. Keeps me from hiding behind this "glass shield". Just a personal policy.
Thanks
JR
Redneck suicide note: Here, hold my beer and watch this!!
ByronG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ByronG »

cowboykell wrote:" Adios Amigos, time for me to say goodbye.....Oh, I'm back....I just took 2 days off to finish reading the Bible." Sound familiar ?
Gone now since Feb 5, without warning of farewell.......... :cry:
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I didn't see where anyone said anything remotely like that to Mr. LeverBar.

:?
Last edited by FWiedner on Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Swampman wrote: ...My dad and his tractor. He's plowing corn in heaven now.
Swampman,
That's a neat photo of your pop. Bet he's with my dad just laughing themselves silly at all the trivial stuff we're getting ulcers over... :)
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnnyReb »

don Tomás wrote:
Swampman wrote: ...My dad and his tractor. He's plowing corn in heaven now.
Swampman,
That's a neat photo of your pop. Bet he's with my dad just laughing themselves silly at all the trivial stuff we're getting ulcers over... :)
Tom
It is a great photo... never have been a fan of staged photos...

Reminds me of my dad... I would like to think he is with the fathers of don tomas and Swampman..........but, if you get to heaven and hear tell of a fella tryin' to sneak 'shine pass the pearly gates.... safe bet it was my ol' man!
Redneck suicide note: Here, hold my beer and watch this!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I too will take up for LeverBar. I think the site has lost a fine gentleman. We didn't always see eye to eye, but neither respect nor friendship requires that. The mark of a friendship is to give or take criticism with the spirit of helping. I try not to be too critical of my friends, in the hopes they won't be too quick to point out my faults. When they do, I hope they do so with the same concern, but if they don't, I'll try to understand that I deserved it. Most likely, anyway!

And for those that have complained or other criticized LeverBar for his method of departure, let me remind you that if one doesn't speak of that which annoys or causes discomfort, others don't have the opportunity to change those things.

Fare Well, my friend.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

ByronG wrote:
Gone now since Feb 5, without warning of farewell.......... :cry:
+1. What Scott did with that Bible post matches well with what he did previously. When the Passion of the Christ came out; he took time off in the same way to examine himself and focus on his Christian faith/beliefs. I for one need to do more of the same, and would caution against judging a man before I've walked a mile or two in his boots.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

DUH, I don't get it. :?
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Greg807
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Greg807 »

I don't get it either, why not just ride off into the sunset, then show up 6 months later. Who cares, Why all the drama?...
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I'm with you Griff.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Griff wrote:I too will take up for LeverBar. I think the site has lost a fine gentleman. We didn't always see eye to eye, but neither respect nor friendship requires that. The mark of a friendship is to give or take criticism with the spirit of helping. I try not to be too critical of my friends, in the hopes they won't be too quick to point out my faults. When they do, I hope they do so with the same concern, but if they don't, I'll try to understand that I deserved it. Most likely, anyway!

And for those that have complained or other criticized LeverBar for his method of departure, let me remind you that if one doesn't speak of that which annoys or causes discomfort, others don't have the opportunity to change those things.

Fare Well, my friend.
Griff, YOU are a fine gentleman.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Greg807
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Greg807 »

Could LeverBars reason for leaving be something else entirely...could it be a resentment of spending to much time online and realizing that the time spent online could be put to better use? Its kinda like the drunk that throws the shot glass through the bar mirror to get sobered up