The Rehabilitation of a Win 94 BB in 375

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

The Rehabilitation of a Win 94 BB in 375

Post by Noah Zark »

This goes back about 26-27 years when I purchased the pictured rifle from a co-worker. He bought it new when the 94BB came out, and attempted to use it for deer. I say "attempted" because he had no luck getting any group at all with factory 225s or 250s. The 94BB would truly pattern, with 9" to 14" spreads on the shots. I showed some interest in troubleshooting the problem, by my co-worker in frustration said I could have it for $150. What the heck, and I handed over 3/4 of my "emergency fund" tucked away in a back corner of my wallet.

I fired the 94BB the first chance I got, and it indeed patterned about 10" at 50 yds, the farthest distance available to me at that particular range. While at the range, I removed the barrel and forend bands, forend, and mag tube and fired it as a "single shot" off of the bags. At 50 yds the 94BB surprised me -- a five-shot group that measured just over an inch. While I expected improvement, I did not expect a miracle.

So back home at the bench I set to reassembling everything and just snugging the band screws. I got to the mag tube cap screw and when it was fully tightened it REALLY bore down on the recess under the barrel, as if the screw extension was too long. In my box of spare screws I had a screw that fit but was too short to even touch the barrel. With the band screws just snug and the short screw in the mag tube cap I went to another range a couple days later. At 100 yds this time, again off the bags, factory 225s printed a group that was 1 3/8" across the extreme holes. Three shots were touching. I fired the rest of the box in three more five-shot groups and got very similar results, groupings between 1 1/4" and 1 1/2".

With it "fixed," I asked Jack if he wanted it back, showing him the target. He had already moved on with a Savage 99 in 308 as the season was just days away. I wasn't really in the mood at the time for a 375, but another co-worker was a huge fan of the 38-55 and was intrigued by the 375, what he called the modern version of the 38-55. Since we were very close friends and he had done some favors for me, I just gave him the rifle.

Fast forward to last summer, and the owner of the 94BB shows up for a visit, lugging a gun case. "Happy Birthday," he says, handing me the case. In it is the 94BB. Some years ago he got a Marlin in 38-55, his original true love, and recalled my rekindled long-dormant interest in leverguns. He thought it was time the 94BB came back to the owner who rehabilitated it.

I took it out in October of 07 and it still shoots groups around 1 3/8" at 100 yds with the Lyman receiver sight and ivory bead, if I do my part.

Just sharing . . .

Noah
Last edited by Noah Zark on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Great story and great rifle!!!!! :P :P :P
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Noah, Its amazing what a little common sense will do. That sure was an extreme version of bad barrel vibrations.

The early 94BB's had some really nice fit and finish and that gun would make a fine NRA silhouette rifle. You have some good friends.------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

dz86
Levergunner

Post by dz86 »

C. Cash wrote:Great story and great rifle!
+1

Dave
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Wow,it don't get any better than that.Jim.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You deserve two thumbs up for a good story, well told... Image
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Neat story and a very neat rifle.....I too am a big fan of the 38-55 and 375 Win

Wm
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Great story. It goes to show you that what goes around comes around.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Funny how things come around. I think if more people understood this basic principal the world would be a more pleasant place. My BB .375 was a little tempermental until fellow forum members clued me in. Thanks to all who helped me. Congrats. to you. 1886.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Fantastic. What goes around comes around hey :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

greate story thanks for shareing
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Noah
Great story and congrats on the come-back rifle.

Now bear with and old guy here, but could you please describe a lillte more about the bands. Do you have the screws tight? DOes the forend wiggle (mine does)? If I tighten the band screw it stays solid, but never checked on how it affects accuracy (duh!)

I have noticed sometime it seemed I couldn't shoot groups for stuff but figured it was me (still might be but would be nice to blame the gun :D ).
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

handirifle wrote:Noah
Great story and congrats on the come-back rifle.

Now bear with and old guy here, but could you please describe a lillte more about the bands. Do you have the screws tight? DOes the forend wiggle (mine does)? If I tighten the band screw it stays solid, but never checked on how it affects accuracy (duh!)

I have noticed sometime it seemed I couldn't shoot groups for stuff but figured it was me (still might be but would be nice to blame the gun :D ).

Handirifle:

I have the screws just "snug," not reefed down tight. There is just a touch of play in each band, just a little freedom for wiggle. The forend has a tiny bit of play.

To ALL: Thank you very much for the kind words and comments!

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Thanks - very helpful!
Rhys.94.375
Levergunner

Post by Rhys.94.375 »

indeed, great post an real handy tip that one!!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That's a great story. Good friends are hard to come by.
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

Thanks for the tips. Great story.

You touched on one of my favorite aspects of shooting. Resurrecting orphans. There are so many great used guns out there that just need a little TLC and understanding.
No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
Will Rogers
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Could this be titled, "Bad Vibes/Good Vibes"? Great story and great investigatin' to determine the cause. I have found the same in several leverguns others couldn't abide! Enjoy yer "NEW" gun!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Good read. Firm believer that all good deeds are rewarded.
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

Great story Noah I love hearing them Thanks
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

My kind of story..Thanks..
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great story - great gun. Mine is a 444, I love it! :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

I sure there is more accuracy in my 94BB.

I'm now inspired to do exactly what Noah did !!

Cheers,

Carl
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

great story. Thanks for the post.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot