OT - Win some, lose some

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT - Win some, lose some

Post by Ysabel Kid »

As many of you know, I have a weakness for .22 rifles. Lately I've been looking for inexpensive bolt actions to refinish. However, I've also been looking for a tublar-feed semi-automatic, a Marlin Model 60, but thus far hadn't found one cheap enough to refinish. I have a few magazine-fed .22's, but just thought it would be neat to have one that was tube feed like my Marlin Model 39 Mountie. I had consigned myself to the fact that I may have to just pick one up new - they aren't that expensive.

I was in my local candy store last Friday looking to see if anything new had come in. And by "new" I mean "old". I saw a rifle in the corner, no price tag, and had to pick it up. It was well worn, but was a tube-fed semi-auto .22. Not a Marlin, but a Remington. A Remington 550-1 to be exact.

It gets better. The 550-1 is not a .22LR semi-auto, but also fires .22 Shorts and .22 Longs as well! So, if I could get it for the right price, it would kill two birds with one stone - a tube-fed semi-auto and a semi-auto that can handle .22 Shorts!

Like I said, there was no price tag, so I picked it up as nonchalantly as I could and asked, “what’s the story on this one?”

The store owner said that he had taken it in trade a couple weeks before. It had a small bag of parts taped to it, and he wasn’t sure if it worked.

I asked him what he wanted for it and he said $100. I countered with $50 – since he wasn’t sure if it worked and I would be taking the risk. We met in the middle at $75, tax included.

Here’s a few pictures of it; the first with my trademark!

Well, I gambled that I would be able to get it in working order on my own – and I lost. I recognized the parts in the bag as the safety, but when I got it home it wouldn’t function, and it was missing a few parts. Off to the gun store I went (but I different one, where I know the gunsmith). $75 and a few days later and I have it back – and it works perfectly! Functions well with Shorts and Long Rifle rounds (didn’t bother trying Longs), and groups very nice!

So, it was a bit more than I originally thought, but if you don’t take a chance every now and again, you don’t get any deals.

So, should I refinish it, or leave it as is?
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - Win some, lose some

Post by Hawkeye2 »

So you end up with $150 in a sweet little .22, not bad. It looks fine to me, I wouldn't do anything but shoot it.
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

Ysabel Kid wrote:.....So, should I refinish it, or leave it as is?
I would leave it alone. I like the looks of it. I don't get too hung up on "collector value" - it just looks good the way it is.

A Model 60 is bound to turn up. They've certainly made a bunch of them.

$150? I think you won that one. Having a gun that cyces with shorts is worth something all by itself.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

i enjoy rehabing old rifles and handguns too (cheaply acquired beaters) but I would probably leave that one alone. From the pictures it looks pretty good to me, I especially like the color and finish of the wood.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

A nice old rifle at a good price, plus you get to brag about its connection with "Carbine" Williams.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Just enjoy it and leave it the way it is(nice older rifle with some character) good deal!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Maybe some tung oil on some 0000 would clean the stock up a bit...but, I like that dark color. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

YK - Wow ! I have the same rifle ! Mine was given to me by my Dad when I first moved out on my own. That's just under 40 years ago now. Mine also has that "patina" yours does. Actually, the word "patina" is being a little generous; the bluing on the receiver and barrel was gone when I got it, and I've debated having it reblued for years. Still haven't made up my mind.

My rifle belonged to a railroad engineer in northern Ohio, and was beat up when Dad bought it in the early 1950's. It, like yours, has had problems, mainly in the ejection/extraction department. When I was a kid Dad let me order the parts and we fixed it once. Now I wonder if this design wasn't prone to stressing those parts, as I can fire single rounds, but trying to load the mag tube and have the whole mag fire without a hitch is just not gonna happen. Sooooooo.... since reading your post I guess it's time to find those parts again and see if I can't effect a more permanent fix.

One last thing, the stock on my 550 was a bit beaten when Dad got it. What can you expect, when a railroad man kept it in the engine room, and stuck it out his windows when rabbits would appear ? It was definitely never a safe queen. But I love that stock just the way it is. Not only does it have great character, but if you've shouldered yours a bit, you'll notice that the length of pull on the rifle is more adult friendly. Meaning, they weren't making these things with super short lengths of pull, like they often do with .22's today. Having longer arms than some, I really like this. It's one of the few rifles I've ever owned which comes up to my shoulder perfectly, every time, just as they made it.

Let us know when you find a good parts source, I'll be right behind you. And congratulations ! Mine is an accurate rifle, and your post is just the kick in the butt I've needed to put it back into proper shape. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

They were able to handle shorts because of the floating bolt. If U notice it has an adjustment on the back with a screwdriver slot. I'm assuming that is to relieve pressure on the spring for shorts. Maybe if U keep having trouble try adjusting for hotter LR rounds.
I am taking one to the Gun Show tomorrow. I cleaned it up after getting it , loaded 3 rounds and it went bang bang bang as fast as I could pull the trigger. It would be a keeper but I have a to of 22s.
Good luck with Urs. I was only going to ask $150 for Mine,maybe I should bump it up.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Those are nice old classic rifles. I would be careful about what you feed them though. Stay away from the high velocity stuff and stick to milder target rounds so as not to beat up the innards.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

$150? cool :D Think of it this way -- thats less than a suburban soccer mom spends on Starbucks products in 2 weeks !
----- Doug
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

The Williams floating chamber is what permits it to handle shorts, longs, and long-rifles interchangeably, including hi-speed ammo. No need to baby it. It can take most any modern ammo without adjustments.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Nice find. Thats how I shop. Of course some guns I 've purchased I still haven't worked out the bugs out yet. i would leave it like it is.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Leave it and shoot the snot out of it.
Old Law Dawg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:. . . so I picked it up as nonchalantly as I could and asked, “what’s the story on this one?”
That's always SO hard to do... Your voice creaks, your hands shake, and the drool starts coming out, while you try to act like the treasure you're looking at is just some odd-and-end that you are only half-way interested in... :lol: :lol:

Is the 'code' only one slipper shows until you know the gun works...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

I have a 550-1 too. It is an excellent rifle and very accurate. The stock and metal are in excellent shape. Unfortunantly the bolt has a small chip out of it and I cannot find a replacement bolt for it so I have retired the rifle. I would be willing to sell it to the right individual though who would take care of it.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I would say shoot it and not do anything else with it. very nice. enjoy.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

Know what? That model 550 was my first rifle my dad bought me when I was 12. it broke my heart when it was stolen from my home in 1979 along with many others. That is a very good shooting rifle and highly functional. Im glad you found one.
g rice
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

A hundred and a half for a 550-1? I'd say it was win-win and leave it as is. :mrgreen:

I do so love the old .22s....
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

When I said, 'win some, lose some", I should have been more clear. This was certainly a win. It just could have been a stunning "win" had I been able to get it running without the trip to the gunsmith. After looking at the asking prices on GunBroker, and some of the conditions of the rifles offered, I really scored even with the additional money I had to put into it to get it working.
DixieBoy wrote: Let us know when you find a good parts source, I'll be right behind you. And congratulations ! Mine is an accurate rifle, and your post is just the kick in the butt I've needed to put it back into proper shape. - DixieBoy
DB - The only part I think I need to add, and it is somewhat optional, is the shell deflector. I checked Numrich Gun Parts, and they carry a bunch of parts for the 550-1, including the shell deflector. Will probably pick one up for the heck of it.

I think I'll leave this one "as is". The bluing is gone, but there is no rust, so I like the aged look it sports now.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

pwl44m wrote:They were able to handle shorts because of the floating bolt. If U notice it has an adjustment on the back with a screwdriver slot. I'm assuming that is to relieve pressure on the spring for shorts. Maybe if U keep having trouble try adjusting for hotter LR rounds.
I am taking one to the Gun Show tomorrow. I cleaned it up after getting it , loaded 3 rounds and it went bang bang bang as fast as I could pull the trigger. It would be a keeper but I have a to of 22s.
Good luck with Urs. I was only going to ask $150 for Mine,maybe I should bump it up.
I think the slot in the back is just for take-down - according to the reference manual I have. I'm going to pick up a copy of the original owner's manual. It fed the shorts right after the LR's and didn't have any hesitation. This is going to be one fun gun!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:Is the 'code' only one slipper shows until you know the gun works...?
It will be now! :lol: :lol: :lol:
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

YK - Where are you finding owner's manual for the 550 rifle ? Remington ?

I'd love to find one for mine. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.