New To the Forum, Introduction, and .45 Colt load questions.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rantingredneck
Levergunner

New To the Forum, Introduction, and .45 Colt load questions.

Post by rantingredneck »

Gentlemen,

I stumbled upon your fine forum while browsing for information on .45 Colt loads for Whitetail deer. More on that in a minute....

By way of introduction, I'm a life long shooter and hunter and a lifelong resident of NC. Grandfather put a Marlin Model 60 in my hands when I was 9 and it's been a blast since then. I'm a NC Hunter's Ed Instructor. I'm primarily a deer hunter though I dabble in other game pursuits such as wild turkey (the feathered kind), dove, squirrel, and rabbit hunting. I also do a fair bit of fishing in the warmer months. I've lately also discovered the joys of competitive shooting and I'm a regular competitor in the local Ruger Rimfire Series matches with .22LR Semis of the Ruger variety. I'm active at our local forum (carolinashootersforum.com where I'm an admin), and some of the national broad-interest forums (thefiringline.com, thehighroad.org, and rugerforum.net). All under the same username.

But back to what brings me to leverguns.com......

I recently acquired a 5.5" .45Colt/.45ACP Blackhawk Convertible along with a Rossi/Puma M92 in .45 Colt. It's the Scout model with the factory forward mounted scope and cheek piece. Haven't shot either much as I just this past weekend got setup to load this caliber. Factory ammo, even the soft LRN cowboy loads, are outrageously priced.

I'm starting with a load that's 18.6 gr. of Hodgdon's Lil Gun under a 260gr. WFN .454 hardcast bullet. No gas check. I've got some loads at 19.1 and 20.1 gr. as well (what my Lee Autodisk is throwing).

Planning to shoot the three and see what the gun(s) like (hopefully the same thing). In my reading here I'm seeing that maybe Lil Gun isn't exactly the powder of choice that I thought it was when I bought it (based on other reviews). I'd be interested to hear other's experience with Lil Gun in the 92 and Blackhawk specifically.

Thanks for having me on board..........
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New To the Forum, Introduction, and .45 Colt load questions.

Post by pwl44m »

And a big Hearty Welcome to Ya rantingredneck (whew-hafta shorten that one in future responses)pull up a stump, a log ,a bucket or whatever is Handy and sit a spell.
Caint help U with loads but I will be interested to c what others say as I am set up to load that caliber also.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
rantingredneck
Levergunner

Post by rantingredneck »

I answer to "RR" in most places :D
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

So We will have an RR and an RR7.
Meant to ask, where in NC. I have a Friend that lives in Morganton.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
rantingredneck
Levergunner

Post by rantingredneck »

I've lived the last 12 years in the southern end of Alamance County (Graham area). I grew up in Fayetteville though and went to school at Appalachian State (class of 96). Morganton wasn't far from ASU. Had to make a couple of trips there when I was in school.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

RR,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined.

I've never used Lilgun but I hear is good stuff. I just hope that 5.5" BH convertible of yours is the full sized Blackhawk and not the mid frame flattop they just brought out.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A .45 Colt Rossi has become one of my main 'go-to' guns around the homestead:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=31062

With the Burris Fastfire-II/LaserMax UniMax combination (on a B-Square QD mount), and a light clipped onto the under-magazine rail, it is ready-to-go for possums in the henhouse, coyotes in the goat-pen or whatever else goes 'bump in the night'. Low noise and flash, so I don't have to go blind and deaf like the guys who tote their AR-15's out for night-duty.

I think Lil'Gun may be at its best for pretty stout loads, but I've also read it somehow generates more heat than other powders so best not to use in rapid-shooting applications.

Anyhow - I think you'll like the pair of .45 guns quite a bit...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rantingredneck
Levergunner

Post by rantingredneck »

J Miller wrote:RR,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you joined.

I've never used Lilgun but I hear is good stuff. I just hope that 5.5" BH convertible of yours is the full sized Blackhawk and not the mid frame flattop they just brought out.

Joe
It is indeed the full sized and not the Lipsey's edition flattop. Made sure of that one.
rantingredneck
Levergunner

Post by rantingredneck »

AJMD429 wrote:A .45 Colt Rossi has become one of my main 'go-to' guns around the homestead:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=31062

With the Burris Fastfire-II/LaserMax UniMax combination (on a B-Square QD mount), and a light clipped onto the under-magazine rail, it is ready-to-go for possums in the henhouse, coyotes in the goat-pen or whatever else goes 'bump in the night'. Low noise and flash, so I don't have to go blind and deaf like the guys who tote their AR-15's out for night-duty.

I think Lil'Gun may be at its best for pretty stout loads, but I've also read it somehow generates more heat than other powders so best not to use in rapid-shooting applications.

Anyhow - I think you'll like the pair of .45 guns quite a bit...!
Yeah, I've been reading that it can heat the barrel if rapid fired. This is more of a hunting load than a plinking load so I think I'll be good to go there. I've got some lightweight cowboy bullets and Titegroup or 231 for plinkers.

Thanks for everyone's welcome and input so far!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think if you look around on http://GunBlast.com, Jeff Quin has some loads using Lil'Gun for just about every cartridge known to man, and some not invented yet.

http://AmmoGuide.com shows 14 Lil'Gun loads (out of 185 total) for .45 Colt, six of the Lil'Gun ones even show results in 'rifle' length barrels; the Lil'Gun loads range from 200 grain jacketed to 405 grain cast bullets. Ammoguide membership ($19) agreement prohibits just copying and pasting their load data, but it is one of the first places I check; they also post and reference manufacturer's load data, which helps me be sure I'm not out on a limb without realizing it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

welcome to the fire hope u enjoy
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum.

While most of us know what a Ruger BH and Rossi 92 look like, we're a visual group... mostly because some of us can't read well! :twisted: :P So, when I saay:
It's mainly to get you started off on the right foot AND help those that need help! :shock: :lol: :lol:

I'll also note that Hodgdon lists 21 grains as a max load for Rugers and a 260 grain jacketed bullet. That'd be a load I'd approach with caution. At 1300+fps outta the handgun, it'd be smokin' in a carbine. With a plain base lead boolit it might give you leading issues without the right alloy & lube.

Look forward to a range report, tho'. For my .45Colts, (I am glad to see you got the name right :P ), I'm partial to RedDot, 700X, 5744 and the original powder. :D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

Welcome to a fellow CSF-er. The good news is that most everyone here is a grown-up. No mall ninjas.
rantingredneck
Levergunner

Post by rantingredneck »

Griff wrote:Image
Sir, Yes Sir!

:lol:
rantingredneck
Levergunner

Post by rantingredneck »

edwardyoung wrote:Welcome to a fellow CSF-er. The good news is that most everyone here is a grown-up. No mall ninjas.
Howdy Edward. Good to see you.

Also good news on the grown-up atmosphere..........a refreshing change......... :mrgreen:
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

RR,
Welcome to one of the best places on the internet inhabited by some of the best people you will ever have the pleasure of associating with.

Stan in SC
(A fellow CSF member.)
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
rantingredneck
Levergunner

Post by rantingredneck »

Another familiar face......

Thanks Stan.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Welcome !!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I like Lil'Gun but don't use it with bullets of 300 gr. or less in the .45 Colt because, in my experience, H110/W296 is more efficient. HOWEVER, there isn't really anything wrong with it.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

IT'S HIGH TIME YOU FOUND YER' WAY BACK HOME...MA'S BEEN WORRIED SICK & PA'S ABOUT AT THE END OF HIS ROPE WONDERIN' WHERE YOU BEEN. SO HAVE ALL OF US...YOU KNOW HOW MANY POTS OF 'JOE WE'VE MADE WAITIN' FER YA? A WHOLE RANGE FULL PARD. I'M SICK & TIRED OF 'SPLAININ' WHY YER NOT HERE....EVEN THE DEER & BEAR ARE TWIDDLIN' THEIR PAWS WAITIN' FOR YA...

Glad you made it home Pard...found the way home did ye?

LB
Share some pard...looking forward to your posts.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Welcome. I think you'll find this place a very friendly and informative atmosphere.
Old Law Dawg
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

RR, welcome to the fire. Wish I could help you with the powder /bullet combination, but like Hobie I much prefer H110 or Win 296 as well as 250 and 300 XTP for my hunting and SD loads in 45 Colt. As for cowboys loads, I go through about 3-4 thousand a year, and use Titegroup exclusivly. You ought ta come play cowboy with us sometime, we're only an hour away. Good to have anothe CSF member here.
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome aboard!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

rantingredneck wrote:
Griff wrote:Image
Sir, Yes Sir!

:lol:
that will do, as you were.

oh, welcome home. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Yes, indeed wellcome. I also shoot a lot of 45 Colt and will be looking at a lot of the same posts. I shoot two Beretta Stampedes and a Beretta Laramie as well as a 1873 Uberti. I hpoe to shoot my first deer with thwe 1873 this fall. I think 250 gr..454 dia. rnfp with 9 gr. Unique.
Less powder for the pistols.

Owen
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

hightime wrote:Yes, indeed wellcome. I also shoot a lot of 45 Colt and will be looking at a lot of the same posts. I shoot two Beretta Stampedes and a Beretta Laramie as well as a 1873 Uberti. I hpoe to shoot my first deer with thwe 1873 this fall. I think 250 gr..454 dia. rnfp with 9 gr. Unique.
Less powder for the pistols.

Owen
Owen,
The 9.0gr Unique load produces between 16,000 and 17,000 PSI. It is equivalent to the old 40grs Black Powder load velocity wise.
The 45 ACP has a SAAMI pressure level of 21,000 PSI. Every gun maker since the ACP was invented has made guns available in that caliber. Every gun chambered for the .45 Colt by every maker you can think of will have either an ACP cylinder or a sister model chambered in .45 ACP. Uberti and the other Italian manufacturers as well.

What that means is that 9.0grs of Unique may well exceed SAAMI specs for the .45 Colt cartridge, but it does not exceed the ability of the gun to handle the load safely.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

Back in the day I used a Colt New Frontier in .45 Colt for IHMSA competition. Yes I know, it isn't what could be called a target revolver and it is the weakest of the modern revolvers, but I wanted a challenge. Here's what I learned, a load of W296 and the Hornady 250 XTP bullet produced the greatest accuracy (I won't suggest a charge because the load is no longer published). Use Hornady's manual for loads of AA#9 today.

The absolute most important thing in using any of the slower spherical powders W296/H110 (they are the same powder) and AA#9 is to use a MAGNUM large pistol primer and a heavy roll crimp. Same with slower extruded powders, a heavy roll crimp is essential to uniform ignition. To get a uniform crimp, the cases have to be trimmed to the same length, this may require trimming to the shortest case in any lot of brass, adopt this case length as your standard. I had hangfires and excessive pressures with standard large pistol primers, so don't mix them up. Accuracy suffered with a light crimp across all platforms, and extends to .44 Mag and .480 Ruger cartridges. An obsessive shooter can also use a large pistol primer pocket uniforming tool to obtain the same primer seating depth, a real boost to accuracy.

I also noted that many .45 Colt sizing and expanding dies do not result in cases that grip the bullet solidly. The bullet can actually be rotated and moved in the case without a crimp. In this instance performance will suffer. I use a .45 ACP/.45 Auto Rim/.45 Colt carbide die to size the neck portion of the case and a .45 ACP expander to expand the case neck and mouth. This produces a better bullet pull.

Standard large pistol primers are fine with Unique or faster powders. My favorite .45 Colt load is 8.0 grains of Unique with a 250 grain cast bullet. Great practice load. I still use the same crimp die setting for this load.

These loads and techniques also worked in the Colt Anaconda, Contender, my Blackhawk convertible and should work in a Redhawk, my Redhawk is .44 Magnum so I must leave that to others.

The .45 ACP cylinder turns the Ruger Blackhawk convertible into a target pistol, delivering astounding accuracy. I used the same load as my custom built heavy slide 1911 target pistol, a 180 grain semi-wadcutter cast bullet over 3.0 grains of Bullseye. It would cut the x-ring out of the 25 yard target with anything falling outside the 10 ring being my fault. I reworked the trigger to a crisp 3 lb pull and the Colt had a 2 lb trigger, but I don't recommend this for any but advanced shooters with a lot of experience, or for a hunting revolver, 4 lbs should be fine for these.

Consistent ammo should shoot well in both the rifle and revolver, but there is no guarantee this will happen. Still, using precision techniques will better the chance of success.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have used the Li'l Gun and the H110/W296 and prefer the H110/W296 as I get better accuracy and consistency from them. The Li'l Gun works better with 300 grain or heavier bullets for me. For carbine loads, I prefer the H4227 as it gives a huge velocity increase in the longer barrel vs what it does in the pistol and does so at the benefit of less barrel heating.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Welcome to the fire. Grab a cup of jo and join in on the jawin!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Welcome to one of the finest forums on the net.
Old Law Dawg
rantingredneck
Levergunner

Post by rantingredneck »

Well folks, you'll be happy to know that the Rossi '92 has drawn it's first blood.

I settled on a load of 20.1 grains of Lil' Gun which is launching these 260 gr. Hardcast WFN bullets at 1750-ish avg according to the chrono.

This fella here had the misfortune to step out in a clearing about 50-60 yards away. I actually missed him with the first shot, darn buck fever I suppose. He snapped to attention, but didn't move. Second shot hit him right around the third rib and quartered through his vitals exiting just forward of his off-side shoulder. He jumped up like his rear was on fire and ran about 30 yards before CRASHING in a pile in the woods. No trouble finding him. He didn't go far and left behind a blood trail that Ray Charles could follow.

I'm liking the big bore pistol caliber levergun. A lot of the stands I hunt have 50-60 yard max shots and thick stuff nearby for deer to run and hide in. Big bullets make big holes..............:)
Last edited by rantingredneck on Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Well..... nice buck, congrats. sure must have been handy haveing a luggage handle on that rifle,as it was alot to tote with dragging that deer an all. My advise for both revolver an longgun was Elmer Kieths load for the Colt of 18.5gr of 2400. but You allready have a winner.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Welcome, RR. If you're looking for a decent 'Ruger Load' that won't set the grass on fire with each shot, I covered a couple in this article.

http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2010 ... -none.html

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

RR,
Welcome to the forum.This is a great place to be. I think you will like it here!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Lite & set Pard...have a nice warm cot in the bunkhouse for 'ya...

Try this std. load....any cast 250-270gr. Keith....10 grs. unique with any case & std. primer. It will be a top load in a Colt, but just a midrange load in a Ruger. 9.0 grs. in a Uberti was super. Worked for me!!!!

LB
1894c

Post by 1894c »

nice deer--great shot--good choice in guns and caliber--enjoy yourself here--this forum has the best info...great people.
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

Wow, nice deer !!!

I have two 92's and two Ruger Bisley-Vaquero's in .45 Colt on deck this year for deer season. Little sister is flying up Sunday fromFlorida after JROTC State Qualifications and we are gonna try and get her her first deer.

My 'go-to' load is the 300 grain LBT LFNGC over 24 gr of H110, it shoots like a laser from both leverguns and the revolvers. I took my Rossi 92 SRC and mounted a 3x-9x scope on it with the B-Square QD mount. Going to sight it in this week. Hopefully my wife and my little sister won't permanently adopt this gun as their own...

How did you like the scout scope setup on your gun, and what optics did you use ?
rantingredneck
Levergunner

Post by rantingredneck »

I'm still figuring out whether I like the scout scope setup or not. It came that way from the factory with the cheek piece included as well. Scope is a Nikko-Sterling 2.5x32. Not the greatest scope in the world but so far has held zero well and is clear.

I may at some point switch it out for a leupold, nikon, or redfield LER/Scout/Pistol scope, but for now it's working.

One thing I'm definitely going to do before too much longer is replace the safety in the bolt with one of the peep sights available for that purpose.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nice looking deer. Looks like some good eats! Congrats!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Yes, nice deer and thanks for the load.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Welcome to the board. We are all a pretty nonchalante bunch here :)

You may be surprised how many members are staff members and such on other boards.

There doesn't seem to be much need for a large staff here. Hoby takes care that that needs it without much fanfare.

I admittedly enjoy my time spent on the other boards too...

But the lack of need for the large staff is probably one of the reasons that we are all here, and the types that hang here, sharing our leveritis...ness. ;)

And for a good deer load, I would suggest looking to Power Pistol with a good 255 grain Keith boolit.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!