How do you adjust windage on bolt peep sights?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

How do you adjust windage on bolt peep sights?

Post by big bear »

Just like it says, how do you adjust windage, don't want to break anything. thanks.( Winchester 98A bolt peep) :?:
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Re: How do you adjust windage on bolt peep sights?

Post by cowboykell »

Adjust the front sight in the opposite direction.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

big bear,

Some of the originals such as the ones used on the Mdl 71 and 64s had a built in windage adjustment. Here's a small pic of one I had and sold some time back.
Win 94 Bolt_sight f.jpg
Others require the front sight to be moved for windage.
Still others such as the Skinner sights and "I think" the XS sights also have some built in windage adjustments.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

J Miller wrote:big bear,

Some of the originals such as the ones used on the Mdl 71 and 64s had a built in windage adjustment. Here's a small pic of one I had and sold some time back.
Win 94 Bolt_sight f.jpg
Others require the front sight to be moved for windage.
Still others such as the Skinner sights and "I think" the XS sights also have some built in windage adjustments.

Joe
I assume the windage adjustment is that little screw just in front of the aperture. I'm abit( major understatement :| ) ham fisted and don't want to screw with the screws till I know what I am doing for sure.that's why I was hoping someone who has one could walk me through it, going to range early am. tomorrow so will check back here before I drive out, thanks for any guidance.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

big bear,

I marked the pic a bit to clarify what screws do what on the Win bolt.
Win 94 Bolt with sight screws.JPG
Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

J Miller wrote:big bear,

I marked the pic a bit to clarify what screws do what on the Win bolt.
Win 94 Bolt with sight screws.JPG
Joe
Thanks, I checked just before I'm going out the door,I think I read the screw in front of the windage screws is some type of set screw for the 100yd mark? Really, really appreciate your help! :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Since I just basically screwed a non-windage-adjustable Skinner LoPro peep into the lawyer safety hole atop the bolt of my Rossi 92, I had to move the front sight for windage.

However, because it was exactly over the firing pin C/L, the sight movement was negligibal (less than 1/16").

big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

RANGE REPORT :D

Didn't have to touch the windage, adjusted it up to 200 for a bullseye point of impact , 6 o'clock hold 6" bull, 100yds, I can fool with that till it's just right about 2" high at 100 for me. Nice sight but sure looks delicate compared to my Lymans and redfields.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I originally bought the one I had to put in my 1950 94 Carbine. The factory had not started D&T'ing them for side mount sights then. But I found out my Carbine has a bad chamber so one the barrel is replaced it's no longer original and I'm gonna D&T it for the side mount sight.

I agree that they look fragile, so I guess it's a good idea to be careful with them.

Joe
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Don, are you getting ready for a fall bear hunt? Don't forget your camera. Good luck!!!