Only ONE Winchester...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Only ONE Winchester...?

Post by AJMD429 »

I have to confess that the only Winchester our family owns is an old bolt-action kids .22 LR, plus if you count them, a few Rossi 92 clones. :o :oops:

Collectively, we have Marlins or Rossi carbines in .32-20, .357, .44 Mag, .45 Colt, .454 Casull (mine :mrgreen: ), and .30-30, .35 Rem, .444 Marlin, and .45-70 in the Marlin 336 rifle actions.

I think it is therefore ordaned that one of us must get a rifle-action Winchester, and next time the budget allows, I'm willing to take one for the team if I have to... 8)

We are admittedly more 'shooters' and 'accumulators' than 'collectors' of fine vintage arms, and if I'm the one who gets it, I'd want a practical, shootable, strong gun. I don't have a strong cartridge preference (our other collective firearms cover most bases there),

so, if you already had the 'bases' covered otherwise. . .

. . . WHICH Winchester to look for, and why that one . . . ?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Only ONE Winchester...?

Post by Swampman »

An 1886 in .45-70 because it's strong as heck.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

A Mdl 1894 Rifle with a 26" octagon barrel and a full mag. My caliber of choice is 30 W.C.F..
Matter of fact I am looking for one like that and I already got 4 Winchesters.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

you need to fix that this Christmas..... :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I guess that we suffer from a similar affection, I only own 1 Marlin, but a number of Winchesters. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

im gonna say 25-35, why? cuz it looks like your bases are covered
im looking for a 25-35 but im finding out i need more $$$$$$
Driftwood Johnson
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Driftwood Johnson »

Howdy

I am lucky enough to own a bunch of Winchesters. My favorite Trap gun is a Model 12 made around 1921 or so. I have another Model 12, and a Model 1897. Last year I picked up a terrific little Model 61 22 pump. I have two Model 1892s, both chambered for 44-40. And last but not least I have my Dad's old Model '06 22 gallery rifle.

I almost grabbed a nice Model 1890 last week, the price was right, but I had my eye on an antique S&W Tip Up that day.

If I was to go looking for another Winchester, I think it would either be a Model 1890, or another Model '92, but chambered for 38-40 this time. I have gotten lucky with my 92s, the one I bought last year only cost $450! That's less than a modern Rossi, but this was a real Winchester. I'd like to have a real Winchester '73, but all the ones I have seen recently are beat to heck and they still want around $3000 for them. If I found an old '73 in either 44-40 or 38-40 that was a good shooter for a reasonable price, I would grab it. But the '73s I have seen are all overpriced, in my humble opinion.

One thing to bear in mind, if you want a real Winchester, look for one that has been refinished. A refinished Winchester will have had its collector's value knocked way down, but refinishing it will not affect its ability to shoot. That's how I was able to afford both of my 92s. They had been refinished. No over polishing, just a good refinish job. Makes them affordable if you are not interested in a 'white glove' collector's piece but just want a good shooter.
I don't know where we're going but there's no sense being late.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I own only one winchester lever gun, its an original 1886 in 45-70. That or a 94 in 30-30 would be my one and only if that was a requirement.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

+1 26" 94 .30 WCF, but make mine a round barrel--that smallish hole in a long barrel gets a little heavy toting, but is otherwise plenty of heft just in round configuration to keep the barrel down.
Maybe an 1895 .30-06 or .270?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A Win Model 72 bolt .22.....IMO the closest you can get to a sportster 52 with out spending more than 250 - 300...unless they've gone up since the last time I looked.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If you have to have one and only one Winchester lever-gun and it must be practical, above all, practical for the whole family you need the 9422.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The 9422M because you can! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

If I was limited to one of my (3 centerfire, 3 rimfire) Winchesters it would be my Big Bore 375. you can shoot mild 38-55s in it or hot 375s. Very versatile rifle that didn't get a fair shake.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

One of the finest men I've ever met has a pre-64 94 that he had re-bored to .38-55. It's otherwise a completly ordinary 94, twenty inches, round barrel.

I love it! It balences perfectly for me and the caliber is very versitle. I own a 26 half round .38-55 94 that I really enjoy also, but the 94 of his just tickles my fancy.

Cat
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Hobie wrote:If you have to have one and only one Winchester lever-gun and it must be practical, above all, practical for the whole family you need the 9422.
Good point, Hobie, and I've kicked myself for not providing each of my kids with a Ruger Mark-II in .22 LR as the single most-useful 'post-apocalypse' firearm I can think of. Maybe I should spend my 'Winchester money' on that instead, but back to the OP, I guess I should have specified, I already have a couple Ruger 96/22's we shoot the heck out of, and my son has a Henry .22 LR he loves, so I'm really thinking more in terms of a CENTERFIRE Winchester, probably in one of the 'rifle' cartridges, though the .44-40 and other 'carbine' ones certainly intrigue me.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I hate to be the one to point this out, but you have THREE glaring gaps in your caliber coverage. :twisted: But, I would be remiss if I didn't point out the missing calibers of .321-.323, .375-.378 & .405-.408. This can be easily rectified by the acquisition of Winchester's fine mdl 94 lever-action in either .32-40 or .32 Winchhester Special, the same model in .38-55 or a Winchester mdl 94BB in .375 Winchester; rounding the trio out with either Winchester 1876 in .40-65 or an 1886 in .40-82! :P

Shame on the rest of you guys for over looking that omission! Ok, Doc, decision time. Don't forget to post pictures of your "new" leverguns! :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, I think first of all, you have to decide how much money you are willing to spend.

A nice clean pre-64 Winchester model 94 will cost probably $400.00 on the low end, and up from there but $600 to $900 would give you several choices. Everyone should own at least one pre-64 Winchester model 94.

If you want an original 1886, then I would look for a nice 45/70 with a nickle steel barrel, but it's going to cost probably at least twice as much or more then a nice model 94

Another great gun to have is a 95 Winchester, espacally the Carbine version in 30/40 Krag, or 35 Winchester in the rifle version, but be careful of the old 30-06's as many of those have been stressed from the added pressures of the 06, and may have headspace issues. A 30/40 Krag might be the eaisest to find in good shape.

And don't forget about a nice Model 71 in .348 Win. Several can probably still be found in the $2000 dollar range, but a really nice one, might cost $3000 or better.

Then of course you might find a old 92 somewhere if you are lucky. You say you want an original 73, well good luck, they are out there, but a good clean shooter at a resonable price is like looking for a needle in a haystack.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The 1895 is the SLICKEST Winchester. The 1886 is the easiest to carry POWERFUL Winchester. The 92 is the most compact Winchester (aside from the 9422). The 94 is the best all-around Winchester (get a pre-64). You can save some money and get a Miroku/Browning which is as good or better (depending on how you look at it) in every way except collectibility.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

I got three Winchesters, a '41 M70 in 30Govt06, a '41 M94 and a '77 M94, one in 30WCF and the other in 30/30. The last slicker than snail snot, 'cause it's so loose, still locks up tight though. :D
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

You need THE Winchester: a pre-war 94 saddle-ring carbine. If it were in .38-55, that'd be the cherry on top!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks for all the feedback.
Mike D. wrote:I guess that we suffer from a similar affection, I only own 1 Marlin, but a number of Winchesters. :)
:D Man, looks like we both need to take better of things... :wink:

It's gonna be a .375, I'm thinking. I really need one, it sounds like. :roll:

I guess I quit buying guns I needed quite a few years ago, unless having stuff to hand down to your kids, or trade on other stuff you don't need, counts.

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Griff wrote:I hate to be the one to point this out, but you have THREE glaring gaps in your caliber coverage.
Shame on the rest of you guys for over looking that omission!
Nah, Doc's got just two glaring gaps, and ollogger noticed one of 'em (25/35). The glaring gaps are centerfire 22 and 25. Already fixed with a bunch of the big-hole-in-the-bbl things; time to get a nice 25/35 and/or .219 Zipper. Yep, might have to pony up some serious $, but oh well :D And get a real rifle this time; not another of those runty little carbine things: you got plenty of those already.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

earlmck wrote:The glaring gaps are centerfire 22 and 25.
I forgot to mention I did just get a .218 Bee (another one I really 'needed' :roll: ). Of course the OCD 'collector' in me now knows I have a .218 Bee and it's parent .32-20, but NOT a .25-20...!
earlmck wrote:And get a real rifle this time; not another of those runty little carbine things: you got plenty of those already.
That's why I decided on the .375, instead of a .25-20 (that, plus I found one of them first :wink: ). Now I just have to figure out what to sell to keep the herd (and checkbook) 'balanced'.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:
earlmck wrote:The glaring gaps are centerfire 22 and 25.
I forgot to mention I did just get a .218 Bee (another one I really 'needed' :roll: ). Of course the OCD 'collector' in me now knows I have a .218 Bee and it's parent .32-20, but NOT a .25-20...!
earlmck wrote:And get a real rifle this time; not another of those runty little carbine things: you got plenty of those already.
That's why I decided on the .375, instead of a .25-20 (that, plus I found one of them first :wink: ). Now I just have to figure out what to sell to keep the herd (and checkbook) 'balanced'.
Women's work.

Earl,

Good catch on my omission... I don't have a sub .30, don't see the need most of the time... and $s necessary always seem better spent on another .30-30! But, hey! That's just me! :wink: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

AJMD429 wrote:Thanks for all the feedback.
Mike D. wrote:I guess that we suffer from a similar affection, I only own 1 Marlin, but a number of Winchesters. :)
:D Man, looks like we both need to take better of things... :wink:

It's gonna be a .375, I'm thinking. I really need one, it sounds like. :roll:

I guess I quit buying guns I needed quite a few years ago, unless having stuff to hand down to your kids, or trade on other stuff you don't need, counts.

Good choice!!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I agree with swampman, an 86 in 45-70 but for a different reason. Partly nostalgia, and I just think they are the coolest thing ever. Probably just me, and why I ride a 1966 FLH Harley and shoot Colt SAAs.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

+20cows
"That'll Be The Day"
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Doc,
When you say (rifle action)do you mean only lever action?(I imagine it is)
if so, Winchester 94 in 30-30 (always have ammo for,and can at dinner time sit around the table teasing each other" my Marlin 30-30 is better than your Winchester 30-30---and vise versa)makes good conversation? :D

if not-------a open sighted Winchester M70 in 30-06 :D

Also I am seeing just lately some fine old Winchester M37's out there for $100 that would be great for the kids out in the woods small game hunting (and those have that old vintage cool factor thing going on)besides working wonderfully.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

AJMD429 wrote:I forgot to mention I did just get a .218 Bee (another one I really 'needed' :roll: ).
I was wondering what happened to that 218 Bee (you got to it just ahead of me, you know!)
If you aren't appreciating the Bee enough to even remember you have it, maybe you should balance up the checkbook by sending it my way!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

We all differ in our preferences - which I think is good since it promotes competition among gun manufacturers among other reasons. In centerfires - the Winchester 94 in 30-30 is hard to beat -

But, if one wants a more general "for any hunting" rifle in the lower 48 - the Winchester 95 in 30-06 leads the pack -

I just lucked out finding this Hi Grade when my wife was pressing me to find something I really wanted for her to get me for our 25th anniversary nearly seven years ago - so I "helped" her - we husbands should help our wives any way we can. It shoots as good as it looks but, I have no reason to think it shoots any better than the plain Jane Grade 1 does.

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I don't think I could live with Myself only having ONE Winchester. I know I have a Dozen, would have to count to see how many more. And yes i do have Marlins- 357, 44mag , 30-30 x 2 , SS Marlin bolt 22mag. and My 44 Marlin.
I've got the bases covered as far as need, covered that a long time ago ( Colt Trooper Mk3- 8 inch and a Custom Mauser 30-06) Now there is a whole bucket full of wants. Main one being an old Winchester in 38-55 (did I say that before)I think so.
Sounds like U have NEEDS Covered Doc, except that Everyone needs more than 1 Winchester. Good luck in Ur quest.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

madman4570 wrote:When you say (rifle action) do you mean only lever action?
I've always considered actions that take the longer cartridges as 'rifles' and ones that take the 'pistol' cartridges as 'carbines'.

(I know the REAL difference in rifle and carbine isn't the length of just the action, and a 24" barreled .357 sure carries more like a rifle, and a 16-1/2" barreled Guide Gun carries more like what I'm sure our WW-II veterans would have considered a lightweight 'carbine'.)

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

20cows wrote:You need THE Winchester: a pre-war 94 saddle-ring carbine. If it were in .38-55, that'd be the cherry on top!
+1.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

madman4570 wrote:Doc,
if not-------a open sighted Winchester M70 in 30-06 :D

Forgot to mention, my '41 M70 has a Lyman peep on it!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

:shock: :mrgreen:
Sweet!
Throw all your Marlins away. :lol:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice rifle, i bought a new one when they came out and wish i`d kept it. 8)

If i`d been asked a year ago what my favorite lever was i`d said my Browning 86 bought new in 86, but right now i`d have a hard time getting past the Marlin Cowboy 45-70 :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.