41 Mag fans

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hilltopat
Levergunner

41 Mag fans

Post by hilltopat »

Can anyone tell me why i can't find any 41 mag rifles for sale? especially the marlin lever actions,
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: 41 Mag fans

Post by Terry Murbach »

BECAUSE THEY ONLY MADE THREE OF 'EM AND BUD McDONALD OWNS TWO.

OTHER THAN THAT THEY COULDN'T GIVE 'EM AWAY; NO SALEEE NO MAKEE...
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's one that looks like it is in good shape . . .

http://www.gunsamerica.com/995978740/Gu ... Magnum.htm

It's about $250 more than you'd pay for a new one in .45 Colt, though.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
hilltopat
Levergunner

Post by hilltopat »

What about the FG model and what are they going for now? i can't find one anywhere,
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

If Rossi made a 92 in the caliber I'd own one for sure, but the Marlins were made in minor batches and are expensive (at least every one I've seen) so it's just not going to happen.

Might be worth a letter writing campaign to Taurus (Rossi parent) or Davidson's for a limited run?

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had one of the 1894FG's for awhile and killed 3 deer with it . And while it did an adequate job I can't say I was overly impressed !

Alotta folks will disagree on my summation of why I wasn't overly thrilled with the performance . But here goes nontheless !

On ALL 3 deer I shot with the little rifle I used handloaded 210 grain jacketed HP's . All were pushed with 21 grains of H110 and the little rifle shot very nicely out to 100 yards . Had a Leupold Vari XII 3-9x on top of it at the time .

Anyway the first deer was shot at 70 yards , he was a small spike . At the shot he acted as if he hadn't been touched and went back to eating acorns . SO I proceeded to shoot him again . After the second shot he haphazardly trotted off and over a little rise and never came up the other side so I went and looked for him where I found him quite dead . Both entry holes were within 2 inches of each other right in the shoulder pocket and the heart was destroyed when I opened him up !

The second was a good sized doe I shot at 47 yards and again I shot for the shoulder pocket and after the shot she lifted her head and then went back to eating . So AGAIN I fired the second time and AGAIN she trotted off as if nothing was wrong and again she went in the same fold the little spike had gone and AGAIN I found her quite dead .

The third was shot at 56 yards and this is almost exactly as the previouse two except he went in a different direction and I saw him fall .

All three deer had two entrance holes where I was aiming and two of the three I found a nicely mushroomed bullet inside . All three had torn up hearts . So an ammunition or reloading component manufacturer would say all was well . Personally I would like to see ALOT more reaction then that after the first shot to say nothing of what I expect after a second killing hit .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

hilltopat wrote:What about the FG model and what are they going for now? i can't find one anywhere,
I sold my LNIB 1894FG about two years ago for about $600 if my memory serves me .

I think when I sold that rifle it had been shot maybe 75 times . And had no dings , scratches , marks etc !

They had also ceased production at the time . This rifle was from the first production run of 1894FG's they had . Seems they made them initially , stopped and then started back up a year or two later and maybe made then for 2 years in the second run .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The only thing I regret after getting rid of the 1894FG that I had is the fact that I never got around to trying the Lyman 41 cal gas check mold I had for it !
But at the time I was having fits trying to find the correct size gaschecks as I didn't know about Gator Checks then . Anyway I would like to have killed one deer with the little rifle and a cast bullet to see if it performed more in a way I would like as compared to the performance with jacketed bullets !
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Marlin QC was asleep at the wheel while they putting out the FG's.Now they sell for more then new.Like olyinaz if there was a 1892 in 41 I'd be there with a big smile on my face, even bigger if it was a trapper.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

model55 wrote:Marlin QC was asleep at the wheel while they putting out the FG's.Now they sell for more then new.Like olyinaz if there was a 1892 in 41 I'd be there with a big smile on my face, even bigger if it was a trapper.
Davidson's had MArlin make a limited run of 41 Mag's that had 16 1/2" barrels , laminated stocks and stainless steel metal . I woulda liked one in blued and walnut if they had ever made them !

Davidson's did the limited run thing with laminated stainless in 357 , 41 , 44 and 45 Colt . I had one in 45 Colt and while it was okay I didn't like it anywhere near as much as the Marlin 1894P and 1894CP .
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

olyinaz wrote:If Rossi made a 92 in the caliber I'd own one for sure, but the Marlins were made in minor batches and are expensive (at least every one I've seen) so it's just not going to happen.

Might be worth a letter writing campaign to Taurus (Rossi parent) or Davidson's for a limited run?

Oly
I'd be on it. Not for me, but for my Dad. I have been trying to find him a Marlin and what few show up are priced beyond hie or my means,..... for that matter both our means combined. :D

I keep holding my breath for the market to swing our way for a while. It would be nice to see a Rossi in a couple other fine older cartridges as well or even the new .32s (.32 mag or .327 mag).
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I would love to get a lever in 41 mag. I haven't killed a deer with one but I have killed hogs up to 250 pounds with 215 grain gc bullet and it has done a good job.
Loke
Levergunner

Post by Loke »

They are kind of like every gun chambered in the 32 Magnum. A lot of people want them, but don't buy them until they are out of production. Then they can't afford them. So they sit around and wish for them. I wish I had one of each.
Judge a person not for how they act, but for who you can help them become.