OT- Elk Chili

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

OT- Elk Chili

Post by Mike D. »

Today I'm fixin' the second batch of "Wild Woman"s Elk Chili. There's 1 lb of ground elk and 1/2 of mule deer sausage, plus lots of vegies, assorted spices, a cup of red wine and 1/2 cup Cabo Wabo. We ate a few bowls of yesterday's chili for last night's supper. YUM! I'm going to freeze it and take it to huntin' camp for the evening meal I am responsible for. :D Image
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT- Elk Chili

Post by Topside »

Mike, I'm makin chili tonight with hamburger. TRADE YA?

Seriously, that stuff looks like it'll stick to your bones!
Reed.
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I just made a batch tonight for the weekend myself. Not elk, but buffalo.
Yours doesn't look like chili though, looks like it had beans in it. Chili by definition does not contain beans.

Original chili was made and served OVER beans, never with beans cooked in it.
(or was served over rice, don't cook chili with rice in it either)

I am real stickler about my chili.

Only two habaneros, handful of serranos, some piquin pepper flakes, ancho pepper powder, piquin and habanero powder, and fresh tomatoes and homegrown onions. Bit o' garlic (okay, lots of garlic) Molasses, worcestershire sauce, bay leaf or two, some oregano, and half-sharp paprika, salt, celery salt, and black pepper.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I really have no idea about what "correct" chili is but the gal who wrote the recipe won first prize at the 2008 Big Sky Montana Chili Cookoff. It has four kinds of beans, red, pinto, chili and black. Onions, Jalapeños, GARLIC, red peppers and more.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Oh man! It don't get no better than that! In July, during my not-so-happy trip to Colorado I brought home about 5 pounds of elk and made chile. It kept me fed for a week.---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I'll be over shortly.....looks good! :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I have come to the conclusion that if Chili doesn't taste like what Ur "Mother" made then U don't like it. Ur Pot looks good Mike, I'm game to any kind of Chili with or without Beans. I kinda think the Okies threw in the Beans. OK Chili Beans.
@ Marlin32- only 2 Habeneros, is that Ur mild stuff. :lol:
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

It looks good except for me I would have to remove my most hated vegetable, the onion. The other problem is that I need to shoot an elk for the recipe, so to speak. :mrgreen:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Marlin 32, I'm guessing you add meat too??? :?:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Mike, that looks very tasty. Think I will go freezer diving and see what I can come up with for this weekend. I"m in the mood for chilli now.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

bean soup with elk and venison. :wink:

call it what you will.
bet it tastes good. :D
RIHMFIRE wrote:I'll be over shortly.....looks good! :wink:
can you swing by and pick me up? :lol:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

That looks like it'll be mighty tasty after you cook it down some. I don't like my chili quite so 'juicy'. LOL. I'd share my recipe but it ain't my recipe, and my bride doesn't divulge such sensitive operational information to me. Chili with beans can be yummy, but I prefer the version without beans.

I also am planning a freezer dive.

Chili for lunch!

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Lotsa arguments over what "real" chili (or is it chile?) is. That aside, yours sure looks good.

Guess I'll have to lookup "cabo wabo". A MT recipe and I'm even in MT, but have never heard of it. I do not consider MT the "center of the Mexican food cooking universe"; there seems to be much more of that in AZ where I spend my winters.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

CABO WABO IS A BRAND OF
tokillya(tequilia)
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Wife holds me to two Habaneros. But they are red savina's. The serranos and piquins will kick it up a hair too, and yes, I add meat, usually deer, elk, buffalo etc. About a 1 1/2lbs of burger of above meat, and then usually a pound of stew meat.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

No habañeros for me! We grew some, I pickled a few jars and threw them out. YIKES! :shock:

I also have 5 lbs of Nilgai that my cousin bagged in Texas. Traded elk loins for it. :)
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Mike, thats what I pulled out, nilgai ground, its going to be sooooooo good tomorrow.
Mike Johnson,

Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

The Rules and Regulations for cooks at the World’s Championship, State, Regional and District Cookoffs are as follows:
1. Traditional Red Chili is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats,
cooked with red chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA
which are strictly forbidden.

2. Chili Verde is defined by the International Chili Society as any kind of meat or combination of meats, cooked
with green chili peppers, various spices and other ingredients, with the exception of BEANS and PASTA which

But Nigali is legal. Interesting also.

had to throw in the official rules. My cousin eats those Dang Ghost peppers, and puts the powder on about everything.

Serving up a bowl right now.

hope to have moose chili in about three weeks!!! No beans about it!! HA!
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

fordwannabe wrote:CABO WABO IS A BRAND OF
tokillya(tequilia)

Thanks Ford, will have to try some one of these days. Also like your spelling of tequila--sometimes it is accurate--at least in the younger days.