Primer Flash Test Photos

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Primer Flash Test Photos

Post by Hobie »

What do YOU think of this?

http://www.6mmbr.com/primerpix.html
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Re: Primer Flash Test Photos

Post by rbertalotto »

Yikes! And I've been using Remington 7.5 primers in my Benchrest rifle for year because I thought they had the smallest flash!

All I want is for the primer to ignite the powder, not add to the propulsion of the bullet.

I'm going to try some Federal "m" series and see if there is a change.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

Those Remingtons pack some serious ju-ju!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd like to see some similar study on uniformity of the flash, as well. Also, did they say as to the methodology whether the camera aperture was open for long enough they were catching the entire primer flash? If not, timing would be a real issue in the relative measurements.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

WOW!!!!

No wonder my black powder ammo has such a big bang ............ I'm using Remington primers in it. :o

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Photos don't tell the whole story---using them does. All I have ever used is Federal & Remington. I like the way they fit in the primer pockets is probably the only reason I use them. CCI's are a bugger to fit at or below the surface of the case and I have had misfires with them when using light mainsprings. Don't know nothin' about RWS as I don't buy foreign things unless I'm forced to. Winchester? I hear they are OK but I seldom see them for sale.

Who knows what is best. With leverguns and sixguns, it probably don't matter.-----Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Wow! Those apparent differences surprised me: I had always assumed there wasn't a great deal of difference among the brands, so my primer-swapping when developing loads has been minimal. I think I will do a bit more of that from now on though, especially now that I am being more regular about using a chronograph as I test loads. I'm thinking that when you find a load that shoots rather well but has uncomfortably large shot-to-shot velocity variations, maybe trying some other primer brands would find one that improves that shot-to-shot velocity spread.

Thanks for finding this, Hobie. Has certainly got me rethinking a long-held opinion which was based on nothing but assumption.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Yep, seen those before, but I would like to see some pistol primer tests (but difference in pistol primers is prolly a moot point anyway...) It is a good page for general info until you scroll down to the bottom to see an ad for rosie (my wife doesn't like it when I refer to her as Hog Woman). That could ruin a man's day :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

want magnum primers buy remington?
g rice
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm NOT a seasoned reloader...Having said that, a huge spike from the primer could cause a huge pressure spike by igniting much more powder at first than indended.......no wonder you back off 10% when changing stuff around :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Looking at those Remington primers, I think I'll just reload with the primers from now on. Forget the powder. 8)
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »