OT- The Integrity of "Ugly"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT- The Integrity of "Ugly"

Post by J Miller »

http://leverguns.sixgunner.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31477

Back on the old forum, you know, the one with the Win 94 SRC as the background, I posted The Integrity of "Ugly". Since the old forum is back up again I thought I'd bring it over here for those who haven't seen it.

And a question for Ji, what happened to Waffles?
Back before 9-11 my wife belonged to an online group. One of the members sent this story out to all the rest. I guess I'm just an old sentimental fuddy duddy, but I found it very sad. I found myself wishing someone had rescued poor "Ugly".

I found the printed copy of it again today as I was doing more cleaning. I haven't been feeling too well lately and today it brought tears to me eyes.
I thought I would share it.

Joe

The Integrity of "Ugly"
-- Author Unknown
Everyone in the apartment complex knew who "Ugly" was. Ugly was the resident tomcat that loved three things in this world: fighting, eating garbage, and, shall we say, love. The combination of these things, combined with a life spent outside, had their effect on Ugly.

To start, Ugly had only one eye. And, where the other eye should have been, a gaping hole. He was also missing his ear on the same side. His left foot appeared to have been badly broken at one time, and had healed at an unnatural angle, making him look like he was always turning the corner. His tail had long ago been lost, leaving only the smallest stub, which he would constantly jerk and twitch.

Ugly would have been a dark gray tabby, striped-type, except for the sores covering his head, neck, even his shoulders, with thick, yellowing scabs. Every time someone saw Ugly, there was the same reaction. "That's one UGLY cat!! " All the children were warned not to touch him. The adults threw rocks at him, hosed him down, squirted him when he tried to come in their homes, or shut his paws in the door when he would not leave. Ugly always had the same reaction. If you turned the hose on him, he would stand there, getting soaked until you gave up and quit. If you threw things at him, he would curl his lanky body around feet in forgiveness.

Whenever he spied children, he would come running, meowing frantically. He would bump his head against their hands, begging for their love. If you ever picked him up, he would immediately begin suckling on your shirt, earrings, or whatever he could reach or find.

One day, Ugly shared his love with the neighbor's huskies. They did not respond kindly, and Ugly was badly mauled. From my apartment I could hear his screams, and I tried to rush to his aid. By the time I got to where he was laying, it was apparent Ugly's sad life was almost at an end. Ugly laid in a wet circle, his back legs and lower back twisted grossly out of shape, a gaping tear in the white strip of fur that ran down his front.

As I picked him up and tried to carry him home, I could hear him wheezing and gasping, and could feel him struggling. It must be hurting him terribly, I thought. Then I felt a familiar tugging, sucking sensation on my ear. Ugly, in so much pain, suffering, and obviously dying, was trying to suckle my ear. I pulled him closer to me, and he bumped the palm of my hand with his head, then he turned his one golden eye towards me, and I could hear the distinct sound of purring. Even in the greatest of pain, that ugly, battled-scarred cat was asking only for a little affection, perhaps some compassion. At that moment I thought Ugly was the most beautiful, loving creature I had ever seen.

Never once did he try to bite or scratch me, or even try to get away from me, or struggle in any way. Ugly just looked up at me, completely trusting in me to relieve his pain. But he died in my arms before I could even get inside. I sat down and held him for a long time afterwards, thinking about how one scarred, deformed little stray could so alter my opinion about what it means to have true pureness of spirit, to love so totally and truly.

Ugly taught me more about giving and compassion than a thousand books, lectures, or talk show specials ever could, and for that I will always be thankful. Ugly had been scarred on the outside, but I was scarred on the inside, and it was time for me to move on and learn to love truly and deeply. To give my total to those I cared for. Many people want to be richer, more successful, well liked, and beautiful. But for me, I will always try to be "Ugly."

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

You da man J Miller. You got what it takes.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Normally, I dislike cats in general, but some cat's I admit are different. There are some who should have been dogs.

Good lesson in this story. Just this week I told my son: "Never pass up the opportunity to do something nice for a stranger". I hope he listens.

Ed
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

Kansas Ed

He will. A tree is known by its fruit.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Good Story Joe, maybe we all can learn a little something from it!
GANJIRO

Re: OT- The Integrity of "Ugly"

Post by GANJIRO »

J Miller wrote:
And a question for Ji, what happened to Waffles?
WAFFLES my Dad's old cat still going strong, whenever we're outdoors he becomes our shadow all the while running his purr motor at full tilt. Waffles is the last living personification of my Dad so my promise to take care of Dad the rest of his life is perpetuated in Waffles. As silly as it may sound I see my Dad in his eyes.

This picture of Waffles taken just this morning before I fed him his breakfast
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Waffles is a cute kittie. I can't remember seeing one with that coloration.

Glad he's doing well.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Dang it, Joe........ I must be allergic to cats, 'cause my eyes are watering.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Thanx for reminding us, Joe. I've never understood why certain people distain cats. Shouldn't their independent nature be admired by the people with the so-called "Independent American Spirit?". Some people are STUPID enough to buy into that superstisious, (sic?) B-S about cats being associates with witches, dating from hundreds of years ago. jd45
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

Good story...kinda tugs at your heart..
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Every time I read it my eyes tear up. I've adopted old and unwanted kitties many times. Non like Ugly really, but some that were on their last legs when we got them. We gave them the best last months or years we could.

Personally, I would have adopted Ugly had he found my doorstep.

Joe
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I could never understand the Western view of cats bringing bad luck. In the East cats are symbols of good luck with most businesses having a "Maneki Neko" at the entrance to bring good luck and prosperity. I have always admired cats for not only their independent spirit but also their hunting prowess, watch a cat stalk it's prey and become a better hunter. It's this very prowess which makes them such a menace when they go feral and thus must sadly be dealt with with extreme prejudice. Keep your kitties under control. Waffles is a weird exception, he has absolutely NO desire to hunt, he'll even sit right next to his food bowl and watch the neighborhood doves as they eat up his food just a foot away.
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

jd45 wrote:Thanx for reminding us, Joe. I've never understood why certain people distain cats. Shouldn't their independent nature be admired by the people with the so-called "Independent American Spirit?". Some people are STUPID enough to buy into that superstisious, (sic?) B-S about cats being associates with witches, dating from hundreds of years ago. jd45
I think that goes along with human nature. If you put your hand out to a dog
they come over for a pet. It makes us feel good about ourselves. If you reach
to pet a cat and it scoots out of reach, you get angry that your "goodwill" has
been rejected. One thing a human cannot tolerate is embarrassment :shock:

But as far as "ugly" goes, it reminds me of my friends cat, we called him "scumcat"
My friend bought a house about six years ago with a barn and polebarns.
Well little did he know that "scumcat" was part of the deal.

He actually looked like Waffles but skinnier with patches of hair missing.
He was never an inside cat, and everytime you gave him a pet you did a
quick scan of your hand to make sure you didn't come away with anything
you didn't have before the petting :shock:

Well he died about two weeks ago, and we all raised a beer in "scumcats"
honor. I'm not sure about some of the others that were there but I know
my friend definately missed him by his stance and attitude.

So here's to Ugly and Scumcat, may they rest in peace.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT- The Integrity of "Ugly"

Post by cas »

GANJIRO wrote: Waffles is the last living personification of my Dad so my promise to take care of Dad the rest of his life is perpetuated in Waffles.
Waffles may be thinking the same thing about you.
Slow is just slow.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Well spoken Jeeps!,..........Semper Fi, if that's permitted from one who's not a member of The Corp, jd45
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

jd45 wrote:Well spoken Jeeps!,..........Semper Fi, if that's permitted from one who's not a member of The Corp, jd45
Not only permitted, but encouraged :D :D

I've met people in the Corps who shouldn't have been there, few but there
nonetheless. I've also met plenty of civilians who could easily wear the title.

"Always faithful" is a virtue that can mark a man.

It certainly marked "ugly","scumcat", and you can see it in Waffles eyes too.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Joe,
Now you have done it!!!!!
Going to have to go out and do something " good " today
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Nice kitty.

Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

FWiedner wrote:Nice kitty.

Well, there's always one spoil sport in the crowd isn't there.

Joe
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Oh c'mon, Joe. Y'all forced me.

All that cute and cuddly junk is making my skin crawl.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Oh, c'mon yourself, nobody held a gun ( lever action of course ) to your head forcing you to read about "The integrity of Ugly".

We cat people do realize that not every one shares our appreciation of the finer feline qualities, but we would appreciate it if you wouldn't "puke" on our threads.

Meow .................

Joe
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

J Miller wrote:Oh, c'mon yourself, nobody held a gun ( lever action of course ) to your head forcing you to read about "The integrity of Ugly".
Everyone knows that it's rude and impolite not to read every single thread.

Personally, I can only say "Awwwww..." so many times before my diaphram just siezes up.

:lol:

nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

FWiedner you need a big hug!