Very rough Muzzleloader season in Florida ended today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Very rough Muzzleloader season in Florida ended today

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Last month I did my home work and studied maps, satalite pics on google earth,
scouted and made sure to pick the right stand location for opening day last weekend.
I was the first one in the 20000 acre Wildlife Management area west of town.
Made the long walk to the edge of a cypess dome where a few well used trails intersected.
I set up my summit climber tree stand, and up the pine tree I went...Morning was really cool
dead silent...and sat there counting the stars waiting for the crack of dawn which
was an hour away....Off in the distance I saw a few guys walking up the same power
line I walked up.....and one guy stopped about 150 yards away:x right at the edge of
the power line...Well...as long as he stays there I should be alright...
About 10 minutes after daylight I could hear something walking to my right...Though the pines
I could see the deers legs....walking normally...Finally he crossed a small opening and
I could see he was at least a six point with a 12" spead...pretty good for this place.
I raised my muzzleloader and dang if he didnt hear it....and bounded off...in the direction of
that other hunter by the power line...He stopped standing broadside, raised the muzzy again,
and was having trouble finding him in my scope...its still kinda dark...So I lifted my head
found him again...adjusted my aim...found him, put the crosshairs just above and
behind the shoulder and squeezed the shot off...When I shot he was facing east...
When the smoke cleared he was on the ground and facing west...
While I was getting my reload out...he started kicking ...then got up and ran off to the
southwest...I just stood there, 20' in the air, watching this nice deer disappear into
the swamp...Well...I got down, packed up my stuff, walked over to where he was laying
and theres no blood...... :? I figured I'd give him some time and look in an hour...
I met the guy at the edge of the powerlines and he offered to help and I offered him
half the deer.....he even got his buddy to help...
Well five hours later....I could not find this deer....We found very little blood..very little..
I circled back on both sides...went through the cypress domes...zigged zagged back
and forth to no avail....he vanished...Backtracked and did it again...and again
As soon as it warmed up some, the skeeters came out with a vengence...
Not even the 25% deet bug spray worked...I was bitten so many times, my hands and
face were swollen... Swarms is not the correct word...
I think I pulled the shot high and it clipped him just above his spine...and put him
into shock for a few seconds...got up and ran off...With the 44 hollow point sabot slug,
if I hit him where i was aiming...there would have been much more blood...and quite frankly
I dont think he would have gotten up....and none of the other deer I have shot with
the exact same load and gun did....
I just dont understand what happened....This is the first deer I have lost with a gun...
Exhausted and very dissapointed I headed home....I was out 3 more times this week...
with no luck....
General gun starts next weekend.....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Very rough Muzzleloader season in Florida ended today

Post by kimwcook »

Really sorry to hear he got away. Win some, lose some. I hate squiters.
Old Law Dawg
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

There's always the late ML season in the western part of Florida in what February and March I think ?

Always wanted to come down there and do that late season hunt in the Apalachicola area .

Better luck in the upcoming gun season !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I know it isn't much consolation but if you hunt long enough you will lose at least one animal. All you can do is look inward and honestly ask if you did everything humanly possible to find that animal. If so and it still is lost you did the right thing. Again, although it isn't a good feeling, this will happen from time to time.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I'm very sorry to hear about losing the deer. Been there, done that with archery. I dont know what kind of muzzleloader you are using but I've done extensive experimentation with 50 cal using sabots and full bore diameter bullets. I have been very lucky over the year using whatever I put in the rifles, but I started to see more and more mishaps with exotic game on our ranch. Most of the knock downs and other visible effect like you experienced are from hits that are just below the spine or too far forward. Of course there's no telling where you actually made contact with your bullet. After shooting many animals both dead and alive to evaluate bullets, I personally settled on the Barnes T-EZ in 250 gr or 300 gr (my rifle likes the 250's better) for a virtual guarantee of an exit wound on any deer broadside or a slight angle. Clearly, the two-hole concept will show more blood on the ground than one-hole. The bullets also open up easily but do not lose weight. They work equally well at 1750 fps to 2100 fps MV. What happened is not the bullets fault of course, but using something you have full confidence in may eliminate any doubt that you did not have the right projectile (in the future). Last year we tracked a whitetail that was hit with a very powerful rifle cartridge. It took 10 steps, tetter-tottered and walked off. There was blood at the point of impact and where it stood. We then followed blood for 5 hours over nearly a mile and a half. I was back early to look for buzzards but none were to be seen anywhere nearby. A high percentage of deer can survive a serious wound that is not a disruption to the circulatory system. Nature will take care of its own, either in healing the deer or completing the circle of life. Again, sorry for the loss of the deer. I know how it feels and it stinks for a few days. Get back out there and try again! You did not do anything wrong. This happens.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Pard, it's not cause you didn't give it maximum effort...Sorry it didn't work out...
When I got through reading all of the responses, I started thinking about swivel barrel muzzle loaders...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

It is good to get an honest report of a failure! You did us proud in your efforts to find and double checking.
Bravo to the other hunters too!

Next time friend, next time :D

nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Sorry to hear that. We have all lost a deer. It happens. I have lost more than one over the years. Sounds like you need to get a Thermacell. They are like magic.
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

Anybody who says they haven't lost a deer is either untruthful or just hasn't hunted long enough. In this case it seems likely that the animal was not seriously hurt. Good for you for giving your best effort to find it. Remember that nothing in nature is wasted.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Bummer man, oh well it was a experience just getting out and hunting.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

It happens. Good on you for putting in the effort to find him.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

happened to me in 2009 --- and another time in archery season 11 years ago. Both times i felt just awful for days , so i know what your going through.
Honor the animal with a clean kill on the next one is all you can hope to do
----- Doug