Old American Rifleman magazines: Keep 'em or pitch 'em?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Old American Rifleman magazines: Keep 'em or pitch 'em?

Post by kaschi »

Do you guys keep your old AR magazines (the reading kind!) or do you throw them away? I'm debating on whether to pitch 'em or not but can't make up my mind. I've decided to keep the earlier ones as well as some Guns & Ammo and Shooting Times (all from 1976 to 1981). The reason I'm keeping those is 'cause it gives me a chance to relive my youth a little, plus I like several of the authors from that era (Jeff Cooper, Charles Askins, Jack O' Conner) to name a few.

In 1981 I moved to Germany for several years and dropped my membership. In 1993 I renewed my membership, became a Life Member and have been receiving AR ever since. That's 18 yrs worth of reading which translates to over 200 mags total.

AR does have some interesting stuff for sure, but it doesn't get me as excited as much as in the earlier years. So, how do you guys feel about old firearms publications?
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Old American Rifleman magazines: Keep 'em or pitch 'em?

Post by okdee »

I keep mine.
Sometimes I think that I might toss afew, then I thumb through em and decide, I best hang on to them.
There will be a time, in the future, when reading back issues, brings back good memories!
OkD
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I used to keep my old issues, then about 5 years ago my wife had my son cleanup the garage... I was not consulted. So about 35 years of both American Rifleman & Hunter were tossed. :evil:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I'll take them. or find a gunshop and leave them there .
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm about to toss a ton of old mags, and I currently bring in the AR to work, sans address, and put it on the lobby table. It always goes someplace :idea: If I want to know something, I'll ask here, or google it...I'm surprised the NRA does not make old copies available online. I'd agree to a paperless AR if they made the old copies available to view online, as well.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Older, full year sets will readily sell on e-bey.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I keep most of my old shooting magazines and actively collect some (particularly "Handloader"). If there is something I think will be useful for reference or a couple of particularly good stories they stay. In the 70's "Handloader" had a column in the back called "Yours Truly" by Harvey Donaldson in which he talked about the early days wildcatting with smokeless powder and even some of the "semi smokeless" powders like Kings. Some of the best reading a gun guy could ever get their hands on.

Eric
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I cut out articles that I'll be reading again and file 'em. Use a razor box cutter for best cutting.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

Griff wrote:I used to keep my old issues, then about 5 years ago my wife had my son cleanup the garage... I was not consulted. So about 35 years of both American Rifleman & Hunter were tossed. :evil:

Would consider tossing both wife and son......
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

jcw wrote:
Griff wrote:I used to keep my old issues, then about 5 years ago my wife had my son cleanup the garage... I was not consulted. So about 35 years of both American Rifleman & Hunter were tossed. :evil:

Would consider tossing both wife and son......
He's probably got too much invested in them. It'd be cheaper to replace the magazines one at a time though the message boards and auctions... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Whenever we get through with old magazines, like National Geographic for example, we always give them to interested friends or take them to the local Senior Center (or other suitable venue). While things do change in the "Gun World"--the basics tend to remain the same. Used magazines, if they're worth buying in the first place, are too good not to recycle them to other readers.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Personally, I dump mine. If I kept all the magazines I get I'd be out of house and home in no time. Just don't have the room for them. Now I'll keep something if I think I need it, but the rest of it has to go.
Old Law Dawg
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

It depends on how old you are. I have 'em (and many others) from the sixties on up. As knowledge grows, you will not find a need for them for reference, besides, there's not much reference in any gun mag except Rifle/Handloader so............10-15 years years ago I trashed several hundred pounds worth. Now, I just keep 'em for a few months, then down the road they go. I do keep Handloader/Rifle though as I'm always playing with different rifles.

Funny thing, I was in the attic a few months ago and low and behold, there's this box of Playboy magazines from 1957-1961----just about complete----I remember putting them there in the mid-70's :D Somethin' how some things don't get thrown out. I think I'll turn these into a case of primers.----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

When I get a pile of them I cut my name off them and take them to work and sprinkle them around. If I have an appointment at a doctors office or something I will leave one or two there hoping some little boy will find it and take it home.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

t.r. wrote:I cut out articles that I'll be reading again and file 'em. Use a razor box cutter for best cutting.

TR
Dittos. Griff is a nice guy. My first wife did something like that. Note that I said "my first wife"...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Read 'em, toss 'em. Saving old magazines isn't my strong suit.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I figger if someone asks for the AR, I'll tell them to join the NRA.....I'd be silly to enable them not to join....need all the members we can get. :P :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

Sixgun wrote: Funny thing, I was in the attic a few months ago and low and behold, there's this box of Playboy magazines from 1957-1961----just about complete----I remember putting them there in the mid-70's :D Somethin' how some things don't get thrown out. I think I'll turn these into a case of primers.----------Sixgun
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Dave wrote:When I get a pile of them I cut my name off them and take them to work and sprinkle them around. If I have an appointment at a doctors office or something I will leave one or two there hoping some little boy will find it and take it home.
Best way to do it, in my opinion...!
BlaineG wrote:I figger if someone asks for the AR, I'll tell them to join the NRA.....I'd be silly to enable them not to join....need all the members we can get. :P :P
Good point, but hopefully, the previously 'unexposed' WILL become members once they've thumbed through a few back-issues... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Interesting posts and somehow I was suspecting there would be pros and cons to this issue. Actually, I have to admit that when I was receiving Rifle Magazine for a while (or buying shooting related mags at the local news stand if the contents promised articles about certain guns, etc) I would cut out the articles knowing they would be read over and over. These I've decided to keep and most, btw, are about lever guns and their cartridges!

So, I'll think this all over and maybe will do the same with the AR mags: cut out the "good" stuff!

Thanks for your input.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I'd be interested in articles on US service rifles and trainers (Krag, 1903, 1917, Garand, Springfield .22s). Maybe I can send you some back issues of Rod & Custom or Muscle Car Review in trade... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I have three boxes of them in the huntin cabin along with a bunch of Easyryder mags from the 70`s. If i get something new i like to dig them out and look for right ups about them.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I cut or tear out the articles that have lasting value and pitch what is left. After 50 year with numerous magazines I have quite an archive of files. Fills two file drawers.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I was in the same boat last month -- http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 82&start=0

I pitched most of mine -- they went into a paper recycling box next to an elementary school . Literally enough pounds of magazines to sag the springs on my 1/2 ton truck.

It was a good experience for me and began a couple of weekends of other clean up projects around my house that i needed to attend to. Anytime a small stack builds up now - i plan to toss them too -- life is too short and i have better things to do than be a caretaker of old magazines
----- Doug
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I toss them unless there's some reference article I just really want to keep. I have far too many books and magazines stacked up already.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

In the end I toss them all into the recycling bin :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hobie wrote:... Griff is a nice guy. My first wife did something like that. Note that I said "my first wife"...
TOO nice. She came closest when I came home & found my '55 Chevy on some guy's flatbed, with her in the yard wavin' a check like she'd just won the Publisher's Clearing House sweepstakes! We still have it, & an understanding about whe it'll be sold. The boy... well, the SECOND time he wrecked the wife's Camaro, it was a good thing he was in jail.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I keep them. I remember finding a box of my Father's AR magazines. This was in the early 80's, and the issues were from the 60's. Awesome reads. Hopefully Y2K will enjoy these someday. Though I imagine, most of his reading 10 years from now will be on electronic means.

If the NRA could digitize all the past issues, and make them searchable, I think they could sell this for big bucks. Same with all the other shooting magazines.
Cimarron
Levergunner 2.0
Location: North of the Cimarron River in Indian Territory (Oklahoma)

Post by Cimarron »

Ysabel Kid wrote:If the NRA could digitize all the past issues, and make them searchable, I think they could sell this for big bucks. Same with all the other shooting magazines.
+1,

I have cut way back on the number of magazines that I subscribe to because of the cost and the fact that I can't throw them away. It's always interesting to go back and read old articles.
HOLY BLACK? YOU MUST MEAN PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

"Get your guns boys! They are robbing the bank!" J.S.Allen, Sept. 7, 1876