OT- TSA Incompetance and Repairs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GANJIRO

OT- TSA Incompetance and Repairs

Post by GANJIRO »

On my way to Texas Safari I had my gun case inspected by American Airlines after which they inserted the required signed tag and had me lock the case and take to TSA for scan. Before even scanning the 20 year old TSA gal asked for the key to open the case. I let her know the case was already looked at and inspection slip inserted, she replies she still wants to inspect it. I give3 her the keys, she takes case to the table and proceeds to empty contents of the case which had my 2 rifles, a peep sight, cleaning rod, and screwdriver. She removes the foam lining looking for nonexistent contraband then throws everything back in I find out later haphazardly, then locks and sends case thru scanner and down the chute. I had carefully placed my peep-sight between the two rifles to prevent damage to both rifle and peep-sight like pictured below:
When I opened my case in Texas I found the bimbo TSA agent had placed the sight on top of the butt stock thus causing damage to the stock but fortunately not the sight itself:
This morning I removed the butt stock of "Smelly Nelly" and proceed to steam the gouges almost all the way out over a hot tea kettle of water on stove. When the wood had expanded as much as it was going to, I sanded the small remaining scratch out of the stock and stained & oiled the bare wood back to original color:
I'm happy with the results but non the less still upset off at TSA, and wrote them a scathing letter last night describing in detail their incompetence with pictures attached. I don't know if anything will come of this but maybe they'll be more careful with the next gun owner. Next time I will pack my peep sight separately, and request a visual inspection after their's to make sure they haven't screwed up again. :wink:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That sucks. Glad to hear there was no permanent damage.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ji -

Sorry to hear about the 'thousands standing around" damaging "smelly nelly", but glad you got her squared away. They won't even bother to respond to you, much less do anything. Our government - the bureaucrats and their minons (TSA firmly in that category) - long ago stopped "serving" the people... :evil:

If there was any justice they'd dock the little bimbo's pay so that next time she'd be a bit more careful! :twisted:
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Man, that's a shame!
You can't trust anyone; you have to hover over them and exude authority even if it makes them nervous. Tell them how you want it and make sure they do it right. I've been the victim of ignorance one too many times.
bunklocoempire
Senior Levergunner

Post by bunklocoempire »

:evil: :x Grrrrrrrrrrr TSA keeping us safe :evil:

Sorry for your troubles G. I'd much rather have a fellow lever gunner lookin' out for "safety" then TSA/government.

Bunkloco
“We, as a group, now have a greater moral responsibility to act than those who live in ignorance, once you become knowledgeable you have an obligation to do something about it.” Ron Paul
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Man that stinks. The TSA is a joke. Looks like you did a fine job with the repairs though.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

What's funny is I was expecting the same stuff on my return trip so was prepared to deal but the TSA agents at San Antonio Airport were allot more cordial and did not open the case after asking if it was already checked, I guess the Texas TSA agents know how to deal with guns and their owners better than the paranoid Hawaii TSA people. :roll:
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

This is typical. TSA broke the front sight off my muzzleloader when one of them picked it up out of the case and turned. The front sight hit the partition and broke off (plastic fiber optic). Unfortunately they have no liability for such actions. Private gun insurance would take care of it, but for the $200 muzzleloader if wasn't worth it.

It looks like you did an excellent job patching it up!

The only way to keep the monkeys off your guns if you travel frequently is a top notch case. My regular travel case hold 3 guns, completely seperate but it cost over $600. If the gun(s) I am taking isn't worth much or I am taking just one I take a chance with a "standard" case something like yours or the black one I had with me. Like anything else this is a give and take situation where compromised have to be made. Do I lug a 35 pound case, pay extra for overweight bag and cross my fingers? Do I take a single case for ease of travelling and no additional cost? Either way I consider myself lucky if everything is as I packed it in the first place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

That really sucks, but I'm not surprised. heir not gun people, and most likel could care less if it was damaged or not, unless someone told them it would mean their jobs.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

+1 for the expensive case. I've also learned from experience to get a case that they will have to work hard to tear up. Mine has velcro straps to firmly lock the firearms in place so they don't shift around.

I learned to spend the most $ I can afford to protect my valueables once when I went fishing in Baja CA. We were already boarded on the Mexican plane when a tug pulled up to put some luggage on the plane so everyone with a window seat could see what was going on. The hacks started literally throwing rod cases into the plane like they were throwing a javelin. Then they would grab a ice chest and toss for distance, then look up at us in the window knowing there was nothing we could do. Luckily I had my Tuna Stick in a homemade PVC case and they didn't do any damage, but some of the guys weren't that luck.

Glad you were able to fix Nelly.

You're correct on the TSA workers from gun friendly states. Here in OK, so far, it has proven no big deal to transport firearms. I've taken some back and forth to CA. When I check into the CA airport and put the case on the table you would think there's a rabid animal inside the case. The peon working the table always has to get a manager or two and they all look over the case like it's the first time they've ever seen a firearm.

Nice pics also of your hunt. What does that meat taste like? More like venison or goat or ?....
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

GANJIRO wrote:What's funny is I was expecting the same stuff on my return trip so was prepared to deal but the TSA agents at San Antonio Airport were allot more cordial and did not open the case after asking if it was already checked, I guess the Texas TSA agents know how to deal with guns and their owners better than the paranoid Hawaii TSA people. :roll:
San Antonio is a laid back town and the airport is equally laid back. They'll jump on legitimate threats in a heartbeat but it's much easier to get through SA than many other places - usually no more than 15 minutes to go through the scanners. My wife flew out of Jackson, MS last year and got hassled about her makeup and shampoo. She finally gave it to her sister-in-law and had it mailed back to us because TSA was going to throw it in the trash. They were also quite rude to her - but of course, I have to admit she did look like the typical blond, blue-eyed 48 year old terrorist... :roll:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'd still file the complaint. Damage due to their negligence should NOT be excuseable. You did a good job on the repair, but, it shouldn't have been necessary.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

Cryin'' shame. It's not right.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Don't forget though - it's all worth it, because that TSA is really on the ball and keeping us safe...! :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "