Venison Pot Roast

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Venison Pot Roast

Post by crs »

Big bucks are nice, but it is hard to beat a roast from a nice fat doe; in this case it is the one Troupe shot a couple weeks ago.
The processor packaged two nice roasts from one ham and steaks from the other. Tonight it was a pot roast with sliced carrots, potatoes, and onions accompanied with salad and fresh baked bread. The venison was as tasty as it was tender. Every one liked it so much that we were told to go get a couple more this fall to top off the freezers! A tough job, but someone has to do it. :D
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Venison Pot Roast

Post by piller »

"Hey Grampa, What's For Supper?" and as they said on Hee Haw, Yum Yum!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

a deer roast with potatoes, carrots and onion is about as good as it gets.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Sounds delicious. I made the same thing from a doe I shot last year. Good stuff indeed!
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Another good, quick recipe: put about 8 ounces of meat (you dont have to do anything to it for preparation) in a crock pot with one can of fire roasted diced tomatoes, one can of fire roasted whole kernel corn and one can of pinto beans. Add one teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of black pepper and 5 shakes of Tabasco or Louisiana hot sauce. Stir cold and then put it on HIGH or 375 degrees for 6.5 hours. Mmmmm, Mmmmm good!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

you are absolutely right.....nothing better...
The other day we had venison goulash
and earlier we had venison madalions on wild rice with
broccoli and carrots and a nice cold beer....
really good stuff.....
no that I am out of work...
guess whos doing the cooking....
and guess whats on the menu :D :D :D
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

Many of the fledglings have left the nest here in the past year, so we are no longer feeding a family of 12. A few deer and an elk or other larger critter would be great - and there would actually be enough to go around for once!
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Rihmfire,
Thanks for the appetizing picture. From now on, I will try to remember to take pics of the really neat game meals made by the ladies of the house so I can share them with like minded epicures.

For starters, here is a picture of a coconut/pumpkin pie Lyle made on-request for 86er. You will have to ask him how it tasted as I did not get a single bit of it! :)

I think that he and Brandon ate it all one afternoon! :shock:
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

I've taken two deer so far this year (Archery). All I have left is a front shoulder and a backstrap. Rear hams went one from each deer into the smoker, and one from each cut into steaks. One of the smoked roasts was sliced and eaten in about a day and a half by my little tribe, and the other smoked roast was cut and chopped and made into chili. Two shoulders were crock-potted with taters, carrots and onions, and the backstraps and tenderloins were seared and roasted. All the rest went into jerky, which was also eaten in short order. Five kids can really pack it away ! Luckily gun season opens in two weeks...
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Mike Rintoul wrote:Many of the fledglings have left the nest here in the past year, so we are no longer feeding a family of 12. A few deer and an elk or other larger critter would be great - and there would actually be enough to go around for once!
10 kids!!! You and the wife are a very, very brave couple! I salute you.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

JerryB wrote:a deer roast with potatoes, carrots and onion is about as good as it gets.

NUFF SAID!!
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

crs wrote:Rihmfire,
Thanks for the appetizing picture. From now on, I will try to remember to take pics of the really neat game meals made by the ladies of the house so I can share them with like minded epicures.

For starters, here is a picture of a coconut/pumpkin pie Lyle made on-request for 86er. You will have to ask him how it tasted as I did not get a single bit of it! :)

I make a mean pumpkin pie, and I grew my own pumpkins this year for just that, but I've never heard of coconut/pumpkin pie! I may have to give that a try. Sounds strange to me, but I'm all for trying something new.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Now you guys are really making me hungry!!!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Shooter,
If 86er tells you he liked it, let me know and I will ask Lyle to post her recipe. :)
It did smell nice while baking, but then I like both coconut and pumpkin.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Without a doubt, venison pot roast is a delectable feast. However, the ultimate has to be chicken-fried backstrap steaks served with my lovely bride's famous jalapeno mustard sauce and a big plate of turnip or collard greens and a pone of cracklin corn bread....Now, I gotta go find some vittles. :lol:
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I grew up in Arizona and we didn't eat much venison: most went as dog food. Wasn't until the family had moved to Oregon that I discovered the stuff was quite edible. I know it must depend a lot on what the deer are eating: I do know that the deer that have been stuffing themselves on filaree (and who knows what else) can chase you plumb out of the kitchen when it is cooking...
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:D :D :D Lovely.

I had a simple rabbit pie this week, spicy mind you, chilli, ceyenne,,,,,

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You have no idea how temped I am when I see a fresh possem on the road that ain't tore up.....just as tender as the best pork, and more juicy. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

crs wrote:Shooter,
If 86er tells you he liked it, let me know and I will ask Lyle to post her recipe. :)
It did smell nice while baking, but then I like both coconut and pumpkin.
That would be great! I'm just curious as to whether or not it's a special recipe, or if you just add coconut to the pumpkin pie?
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

crs wrote:Rihmfire,

I cant get my wife to cook my wild game.....
Thats my job! :wink: ....and BBQ too! :D
Pie looks good!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS