Air gun success

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Air gun success

Post by olyinaz »

After trying a number of inexpensive air guns only to find that they cannot keep three shots on a bowling ball at ten paces, I finally have run across an inexpensive air gun that seems too good to be true. These two groups were shot with a suppressed Stoeger X20 .22 cal air gun at approx 25 yards:

The pasters on the target are from me getting the scope (supplied with the rifle) zeroed in and then I shot the first three shot group by the bullseye with Crossman premium hunting pellets (heavy hitters with a hollow point) and the second group with some of those lightweight non-lead high velocity pellets they supplied with the gun. Obviously quite a point of impact change and I've never thought those high velocity non-lead pellets shot worth a dang in any air gun I've tried them in anyhow, but they were free so I wanted to try them on for size.

I shot several more groups after this with the lead pellets and they were all to point of aim and nicely grouped. None of the other cheap air guns I've tried would do this! I'm not asking for much, just minute-of-bird at 50 feet fer Pete's sake. Finally I've got a gun that looks to be good enough for that job, and I've found that .22 cal pellets knock various sky vermin DEAD with one shot flat. POW - clunk! I love it.

Also, I'll add that this gun is very quiet. I tried one of those Gamo Whispers. Not quiet and JUNK. I also tried a Crossman .22 cal air gun with their supposedly super quiet "Nitro Piston" air spring. Reasonably quiet but JUNK. This gun has the lowest noise signature of any of them (it has an actual suppressor, not some cheap bit of plastic on the end of the barrel) but most importantly it actually shoots. (Or at least it shoots well enough for knocking sky rats down in my back yard.)

Here's the web site for the rifle: http://usa.stoegerairguns.com/products/ ... airgun.php

Your mileage may vary! Just sayin'...

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Air gun success

Post by madman4570 »

Oly,
You be da man :mrgreen:

I like the looks and specs of that gun(good price too)
Those groups are great,and I have wanted a .22cal airgun.
How can you beat that one?
Think you found a keeper----Congrats :mrgreen:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Whell done Oly, I just got me a Crosman 1377 pistol, needs some fettling and it will be good.
Trigger is getting there, just need to lose some more creep!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I went through 4 or 5 airguns last year and sent them all back due to poor accuracy. Then I gave up. Maybe I will try that Stoeger. It looks promising. Good luck with it!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Oly, look around and see if you can find some Crossman Premier pellets. They are a dome top pellet but seem to be much more accurate than anything I've used. There is a club here that shoots field matches and all the guys there swear by them.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks for the report. Like you and others, I've tried several as well, and have been very disappointed with their ability to group and the level of noise they generate. Congrats on finding one that appears to solve both issues! 8)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Rusty wrote:Oly, look around and see if you can find some Crossman Premier pellets. They are a dome top pellet but seem to be much more accurate than anything I've used. There is a club here that shoots field matches and all the guys there swear by them.
One of my favourite pellets, not had a gun they shoot bad from!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Rusty wrote:Oly, look around and see if you can find some Crossman Premier pellets. They are a dome top pellet but seem to be much more accurate than anything I've used. There is a club here that shoots field matches and all the guys there swear by them.
Woops, you're right there - I said "Crossman premium" and I meant Crossman Premier. The ones I have are hollow points and they hit hard and shoot really well from this gun.

I should have added in my review that the trigger is typical cheap air gun terrible and the safety is annoying (bad location and re-sets every time you cock it). Can't win 'em all! :wink:

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Thank you for helping me with my Christmas list! :mrgreen: