OT First kill with 870 Express.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

OT First kill with 870 Express.

Post by gamekeeper »

I took my new Remington 870 28ga Express out this afternoon and got a squirrel on route to a roost shoot (thats shooting Wood Pigeons as they come in with full crops to roost for the night).
My old Rossi single barrel 28ga was a proven killer but the Remington is a real joy. I have in the past had two Savage pump actions, a 12 and a 20 and sold them when our Nanny State said they had to be permantly limited to 3 shots. I couldn't see the sense in paying good money to make a gun fire less shots! But when I saw the 870 I just had to have it! :wink:

Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I like the looks of the 870, very clean. Looks like yours works just fine. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great guns - my 20 is my favorite. Good shooting.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

TThose 870 20s are great. My dad has one that I love to shoot every time I go see them.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Depresses barbed wire, paddles a boat, gets me out of deep mud, moves trees branches (all while unloaded, of course), kills ducks and pheasant dead (when loaded, of course).
The 870 Express is the Abrams tank of the 12ga. world. There's no better shotgun for the way I hunt, or the conditions hunt in. :D
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Gk you take a good photo, I'm glad you found a hansom feller to stand in for you :lol: I asked some questions about that 28 on a post of mine, I'll catch up soon :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Love those 870's! Learned to love them when I was in law enforcement. We used 870's most of my career. We also had semi-auto Remingtons, but I always used an 870. We trained with timed drills on steel targets and I was as fast with the 870 as everyone else was with the semi-autos.

One reason I preferred them was the deterrent effect of that universally recognized sound when racking a round into the chamber. Just not the same with an autoloader. To illustrate, one day I took an 870 from the gun safe at work. Our janitor was on the other side of the room emptying the trash cans. I worked the action to make sure it was unloaded and the janitor, whose back was to me, stood up, stiffened, and turned pale when he heard that sound. Made me wonder what he did before he became our janitor. :lol:
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Nice squirrel. Looks like a plump little thing that'll sweeten the pot.

I love the Remington 870. I've got three of them -- all 12ga. Never had a glitch with any of em and they've all had hundreds of shells through them. The oledst has probably had thousands through it and it's as tight as the day I got it.
ED
Yer never too old
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

ain't much that you can't do with with the 870 12ga. hunting birds to elephants. home defense, sport shooting. enough barrels,chokes, and loads to do it all. proably the most versatile firearm you can legally posess.
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

game keeper

I hear that the Ameican grey squirrel is over running you guys and your native red squirrel. That 870 will do the trick. Do you need a recipe for squirrel dumplings? Can ya'll hunt the reds?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I did not know the 870 came in 28 gauge. Very cool - congratulations game keeper!!! 8) :D
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I really like the Remington 870 platform. Even a dumb mope knows not to get too screwy when you rack that machine. :twisted:
Old Law Dawg
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

The Remington 870 is to shotguns, what the Marlin 336 is to rifles. It and the Winchester Model 12 are the only repeating shotguns I'll own. Nice pics...
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Billy Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Billy Boy »

I myself, have two. A 12 gauge adorned in Max-4 and a 20 gauge that now sports an S&K (they make all the new laminated stocks) laminated stock.
They are the "chevy small block" of the shotgun world!
BB

:wink:
You can get alot further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone!
Al Capone
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

spurgon wrote:game keeper

I hear that the Ameican grey squirrel is over running you guys and your native red squirrel. That 870 will do the trick. Do you need a recipe for squirrel dumplings? Can ya'll hunt the reds?
Thanks but I have plenty of squirrel recipes, they are becoming more popular here now, even some fancy restaurants have it on the menu! :lol:

The red squirrel is now only found in a few small areas and is definitely not on the hunting list!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Yeah, even I won't shoot a red squirl :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT First kill with 870 Express.

Post by Slick13 »

Nice gun, and good hunting! I bought a Full choke for my Remington 1100 Sporting 28 to go squirrel hunting this year, but had my 16 ga. Ithaca 37 with me the one time I got to take a poke at one of them buggers. The 28 sure is a sweet gauge though.

I assume the 870 has a fixed Modified choke. What are you using for shells? Those look like Winchester field loads, but I'm guessing they're a European brand instead. 3/4 oz of #6, or where you using a heavier shot charge?

~Michael
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Michael,
Yes it's a modified choke and I was using Eley 3/4 oz 7's.
Over here because the grey squirrel is considered such a pest we shoot out any drey's we see and having a pump action I still have two shots left if any squirrel's jump out of the nest! :wink:
I did use a 3 shot B/A .410 but the 28G is whole lot better.

Good to here you use a 16G too! 8)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have a 28 ga. Quite nice to shoot and much more certain than the .410 bore.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Hobie wrote:I have a 28 ga. Quite nice to shoot and much more certain than the .410 bore.
Honestly, I'm suprised the 28 ga. didn't kill the .410 off 70 years ago. Everything the .410 does in the field, the 28 ga. does better. Plus its recoil is light enough that young shooters can handle it, and it puts out enough shot that is a useful, viable gauge for adults. I'm suprised gun makers and the public never got behind it more, and the 20 ga. was chosen as THE youth gauge rather than the 28.

~Michael
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My first shotgun aged 13 was a single shot .410 it was so tightly choked it shot groups rather than patterns! :lol:

The 28GA is real "contender" as long as you don't expect 12GA performance! :wink: