Older 336D in .35?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Older 336D in .35?

Post by pneuby »

I saw one of these locally and wanted to perform some due diligence. It's very clean, w/o any marks that I can see. It's got an XS rear aperture, but the front blade was left stock. $500 seems a bit much, but I'm not sure. I see the ammo is harder to find, but not impossible.
Oh, this can't be a Davidson's gun, because there's no porting. It does have the safety, however.

Are there any feed or extraction concerns with this round? It looks rimless to me. Thanks for the input.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Older 336D in .35?

Post by JerryB »

I don't own a Marlin .35, but I do know that Marlin has made the .35 Remington 336 since the early 1950's. I don't think they have had much trouble with them.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

The 336 feeding, loading, extraction isn't dependent on a rim: may be smoother without the rim. My first Marlin 35 Rem had the old "Marlin jam #1" but it had nothing to do with the absence of the rim and the fix was the same as for any of them that do that.

35 Remington may not go on sale at Wally World at the same rate as 30/30s, but ammo isn't too hard to come by and brass is available at all the majors.

That said, it may be worth $500 in comparison to the new ones, but I don't think they are bringing that. Why don't you go into gunbroker.com, and in the "advanced search" area you should be able to find "sold" ones for the past few months and see what they have been going for. You can't rely on what they are listed for because of all the games that go on in auction sites.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

If the barrel is not ported then it is not an original 336D. A 336D will have an 18" ported barrel and will be blued with a straight grip, checkered walnut stock.
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

hMMMM..Interesting. I wonder if it got 'trappered' another 2"? There is definitely no porting, and the crown looks remarkably like a recessed target crown. I will have a closer look. Thanks.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

pneuby wrote:hMMMM..Interesting. I wonder if it got 'trappered' another 2"? There is definitely no porting, and the crown looks remarkably like a recessed target crown. I will have a closer look. Thanks.
Doesn't sound like any 336D I've ever seen. HOWEVER, it might be a good gun, just not at that price. $300 is closer to right.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

TNBigBore wrote:If the barrel is not ported then it is not an original 336D. A 336D will have an 18" ported barrel and will be blued with a straight grip, checkered walnut stock.

My 336Dis ported. And an awsome carbine!

Love that thing!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"