1895 front sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
LGS
Levergunner

1895 front sight

Post by LGS »

I installed a Providence Tool Company model 21 on my 1895 Browning 3006. I need to replace the front sight with a higher one. Were can I get this. I have tried Brownells, Gun Parts and Midway no luck. Can't even find who made it. Any help would be appreciated.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1895 front sight

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

That would be a VERY simple one to make and would be a fun project. :wink:

I don't know of any for sale. How handy are you with tools.
Its just a piece of flat stock with a tiny hole drilled through it.

I would make one out of plastic first , just to make sure it is the height I want. :D
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Chuck's right, one of the easiest sights to make at home. Ashley (AO, OS or whatever the heck they call themselves these days) used to have one but they are mighty proud ($$$) of it. You could probably make yourself one out of platinum and it would still be cheaper.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I have an original Win 95 that had the front sight (just like that one) replaced with a dime that had snipped in half, filed to shape, and had a tiny hole drilled in it for the sight pin.

IE: the Levergunners version of "Dropping a dime" on something.
LGS
Levergunner

Post by LGS »

Thanks for the ideas. Having trouble finding a piece of stock the right thickness. Tried a dime but coins are .050 thick and I need a piece .075. I am going to the auto parts to see if I can get a feeler guage the right thickness. :?:
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Depending on what you want, a piece of steel flat stock, a Silver half dollar or dollar, or a "Gold" Susan B Anthony, Sacajawea, or President dollar coin for stock.

Dressing any of the above tp the required thickness isn't any problem, just work the side on a reasonably sized mill pattern single-cut file by hand. There are lots of ways to use a file other than straight strokes across a piece of metal held in a vice.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Check Buffalo Arms, they may have what you desire. :wink:

http://www.buffaloarms.com
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I bought/installed the extra height front sight blade XS Sights supplies with their peep sight set or the M1895.

I already had a peep sight, so just telephoned their customer service & ordered the front blade only.

Their pin-on square-blade Patridge-type front sight has a bold vertical white line down it's face, that's easily blackened if not wanted.

www.xssights.com

LGS
Levergunner

Post by LGS »

Pete44ru, Thanks that is good info. I have checked their wed site. I can not find a pin on sight. Is this a non advertized item. I am going to give them a call.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I have used flat brass stock from the hardware store. I colored it with black magic marker ,but cut a 45 degree angle at the top of the sight that faces you and left it brass. I've also bought a front lyman or marbles sight of the correct hiegth and bead size. Cut the sides down with a dremel and file to fit. Take out the factory blade and take it to a good hardware store that sells number machine drill bits and get the correct size for the hole.