Take a look at this Salute

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Take a look at this Salute

Post by Rusty »

Here is a salute to the U.S. Military by the WVU marching band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1RrUdq4E_8
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Take a look at this Salute

Post by earlmck »

Now that was quite the show. I especially liked the submarine. Thanks, Rusty.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Where the #@^% were they in 1969 when I came home on a stretcher after being blown up in Viet Nam? Where were they in 1970 when I got out of the Army and I was spit on when I exited Ft. Knox, KY in my US Army uniform? All this 'thank you for your service' stuff is 40+ years too late. I wish that everyone who meets me would just keep their guilty feelings to themselves.

I've lived my life watching others take credit for those of us who were there and didn't speak up. I've spent my time keeping my rage to myself for all those who stupidly condemned men to die by their silence. Traitors like Jane Fonda who aided and abetted the enemy during a time of war and weren't shot for treason because they were 'celebrities' got all the ink in the news while those of us who did our job and served our country were vilified by the press.

Upset? You don't know the half of it. You sheeple walking around have no idea what Freedom is worth, what Honor costs, what Liberty exacts. I spilled my blood so that you have the freedom to tell me I'm wrong, I'm stupid, I'm worthless. My Honor is worth so much more than a marching band on a football field. So much more. A band on a football field? You dishonor us by your ignorance.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

COSteve wrote:Where the #@^% were they in 1969 when I came home on a stretcher after being blown up in Viet Nam? Where were they in 1970 when I got out of the Army and I was spit on when I exited Ft. Knox, KY in my US Army uniform? All this 'thank you for your service' stuff is 40+ years too late. I wish that everyone who meets me would just keep their guilty feelings to themselves.

I've lived my life watching others take credit for those of us who were there and didn't speak up. I've spent my time keeping my rage to myself for all those who stupidly condemned men to die by their silence. Traitors like Jane Fonda who aided and abetted the enemy during a time of war and weren't shot for treason because they were 'celebrities' got all the ink in the news while those of us who did our job and served our country were vilified by the press.

Upset? You don't know the half of it. You sheeple walking around have no idea what Freedom is worth, what Honor costs, what Liberty exacts. I spilled my blood so that you have the freedom to tell me I'm wrong, I'm stupid, I'm worthless. My Honor is worth so much more than a marching band on a football field. So much more. A band on a football field? You dishonor us by your ignorance.

STeve,

I'll preface by saying that i truly enjoy most of your contributions to the forum -- but in this case, -- i dont agree

My father and uncle served in the Vietnam war as well, i was told similar stories to yours by my uncle. I still grew up with an urge to serve and i got my chance in Desert Shield/Storm and Somalia a couple of years later. 20 years ago, when i came home stateside, - it was to congratulatory hugs and cheers
---- My belief was that as far back as 20 years ago, middle aged America began to believe that
"HEy, we were wrong by insulting our servicemen coming back from Vietnam , lets try to overcompensate by giving their sons and daughters a hug when they get home "

This newfound philosophy still carries on to this day with this generations group of middle aged guys clapping younger vets on the back when they get home from A'Stan, and showing appreciation in the form of things like this

--- Do i think it has gotten a little bit blown out of proportion? -- Yes i do, but i still don;t think anyone is doing harm by showing appreciation for the kids today
I still understand when i see a guy with a "Nam vet" cap of some sort shake his head when some goober my age who has never seen an M!6 except on tv stands up to shake the hand of the local Army Reserve admin NCO when he comes in for a bagel, -- but to this i still say "No harm, no foul"
I believe many people's intent now would be to say --- "Hey guys -- thank you! I was too cautious to choose the route you have chosen, but am glad that you have for our country's sake"
Thanking someone in uniform still relieves guilt in a psychological way to some, as these men/women are doing a tough job they didn't want to do

And to go back to my example of the "Army Reserve Admin NCO" --- i even look around at all these guys nowadays and see patches on their right shoulders --- No longer do you have to be an 11b mos (or something similar) to put yourself in harms way - a NAtional Guard supply NCO from Indiana has as much chance of engaging and/or being attacked by the enemy as a Recon MArine now (well -- maybe that is an extreme example ---but you get my point)

And Steve, your generation is one ahead of mine, so i can't claim to know the anger you felt when you encountered the peaceniks and hippies back then, but i'll say once again, that i think overcompensating a little bit now - even though it borders on ridiculous sometimes --- is better than what was going on then.

Ya gotta admit though-- the choreography and effort required to put on a show like this was a huge calorie burner for all involved and was a spectacular piece of showmanship

Peace man
Last edited by Streetstar on Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Neat, great job by all those kids honoring all troops.
War is He!! plain and simple and has been going on for a long time, people are hurt and scarred for life and answers don`t come easy.
All i know is hate don`t fix hate, forgiveness and helping someone else is good medicine.
Nice intent Rusty and great video, thanks for posting and Salute to all veterans.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Pitchy wrote:Neat, great job by all those kids honoring all troops.
War is He!! plain and simple and has been going on for a long time, people are hurt and scarred for life and answers don`t come easy.
All i know is hate don`t fix hate, forgiveness and helping someone else is good medicine.
Nice intent Rusty and great video, thanks for posting and Salute to all veterans.
A big +1

I only wore my Class A's once while traveling. I was spit on and called a baby killer by some lady in the Chicago airport. You only have to tell me once.
Old Law Dawg
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

COSteve; You signed on to do a job, and your part of the job was hard. Nobody has ever said that it wasn't.

If you did it so that you could get slapped on the back at town meetings, or betting that folks would buy you beers until you hit 90, I'm thinkin' you probably lose at poker.

You did a good job to the best of your ability. Be happy with that because that's probably all you're gonna get outta this life-time.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

BEST half time job done by a marching band yet!
They should replace madonna @#$%^&... :evil:
with this band at the superbowl
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Steve, I personally wanna thank you for your service. I was younger than you, growing up with the belief I would go to 'Nam, but the war got over just in time to spare me that duty. But I believed then, and believed now, we as individuals don't get to choose when to "pay the rent" for our lives, we simply must go if called. I served in the way Sam wanted me to, pulling easy duty in California, helping keep our nuclear arsenal in the air 24/7, and as such a "7 minute target", but nobody shot at me. ALL who served did what was asked. Some gave all, all gave some.

It is really unfortunate that OTHER young people of our time hated us, but that is NOT OUR FIGHT. Our fight was in uniform, doing whatever needed done, and all of us ought to just know we did our bit in part so our country could be strong enough and free enough to allow and withstand the protests.

Those other people, the ones who misguidedly spit at GIs did a service in their own right, however much we disagree. They helped lay bare the uselessness of congress, the lack of will to win, and ultimately, placed the shame of losing 58,000 people for nothing. We owe some of them a debt too, maybe not the same as we owe our vets, but civil disobedience is a time-honored and valuable method of getting the attention of the powers that be.....
Certified gun nut
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Everyone, I'm sorry for my outburst. It wasn't necessary to bring up my feelings from so long ago and apply them to today. It's just that the hurt from the way we were treated hasn't gone away after all these years. In fact, with the great treatment the service people receive today there are many times that I feel that I'm getting my face rubbed in it all over again and it feels even worse than it did before. I know, it's my problem to deal with and not the fault of anyone today so I'm sorry for my slip. My demons from that time in my life lay just under the surface and at times they seem to poke their heads up a bit.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

We've all got our "hot button" topics ---- since it was an early post, i just thought you hadn't had your coffee yet :lol:
----- Doug
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Steve, i think i speak for everyone here that we understand and our thoughts and prayers go out to you.
Most people don`t understand how the brain works and how hard depression is to deal with.
After all my wife and i have been through along with health issues i fully understand how a person can commit suicide, not saying that`s the thing to do.
Faith goes a long ways in this old world, hang in there bro better days are coming. :)
Last edited by Pitchy on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Steve, get it off your chest..that's what Buds are for. :wink: I was in 72 - 92, and while not in Nam, I got the treatment. I still hate hippies to this day. Hippies are the best arguement for being conservative that I can think of. Dirty, nasty, ill-tempered, sub-human bastids, is what they are.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

I thought the band did a great job, THANKS for posting the link!!!

COSteve, it is to bad that some were treated with such disrespect we all herd the stories of that kind of treatment, but where I grew up they were all treated as returning solders, and heroes, defenders of our freedom, every local name listed on their respective plaque on the "Memorial Hill" here in the middle of town, perosnily I thank all of our brave sons and daughters who served for our freedoms, and wile I think such disrespect that you spoke of is dispicable, I have to ask what good is freedom if those idiots do not have the freedom to make BUTTS out of themselves in such a way?!
Terry
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thanks Rusty, that is a great tribute to our still free nation like it or not.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I'm in the middle. I like hippies and respect warriors. I do agree with Steve that we now over do the thanks to compensate for when we didn't do as good of a job. I also have a huge problem with the word "Hero" I get sick of everyone that serves being called a hero. It degrades those that truly are.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Mitch1352
Levergunner

Post by Mitch1352 »

COSteve, you bitch to your heart's content. You have earned it. Besides, it's like somebody said: you are among family here. My military service was during the Reagan years, so while I didn't get marching bands, I wasn't spit on either. I'm a cop and I remember getting a fight call at a theatre when Blackhawk Down premiered. My county has a large Somali population in it and the place was full of them. It isn't tough to figure which side they were cheering for. Well, 2 Marines were also there, one of whom had been in the deployment of Marines before the October battle. For some unknown reason, these 2 Devil Dogs took umbrage at some of their fellow movie-goers and it was Belleau Wood all over again: USMC 5, Skinnies 0. I got there and for some odd reason, the 2 "suspects" managed to escape in the confusion. Just darn. Still to this day haven't id'ed them. Am I a bad cop for letting personal feelings interfere with my job? Probably, but there are no regrets. I just wonder if me taking that view and looking out for those 2 servicemen made their lives just a bit more appreciated.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway