Question, model 1886's differences between makers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Question, model 1886's differences between makers

Post by smokenrust »

I seen an 1886 model rifle that had the model 1886 stamped on the upper tang and the serial number underneath. But it does not say anything on the barrel or tang on who made it. It appears to be fairly new...( in the last 30 or less years I would think). It got me to wondering , How do you tell the differences between the imported and domest... and the american imported rifles?
Winchester and Browning would have their names in plain daylight right on the barrel or tang and where it was manufactored at, I would think. But don't know what uberti, rossi, chiappa, chaperal, dixie, etc. makers have for designating their rifles?
Or what are the tell-tale signs / what to look for? I am thinking the above mentioned rifle is a foriegn wannabe clone.... Maybe some info would enlighten the ones like me to know the differences and be able to decipher the imitation from the quality guns. Thanks, SnR
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Question, model 1886's differences between makers

Post by TMair »

smokenrust wrote:I seen an 1886 model rifle that had the model 1886 stamped on the upper tang and the serial number underneath. But it does not say anything on the barrel or tang on who made it. It appears to be fairly new...( in the last 30 or less years I would think). It got me to wondering , How do you tell the differences between the imported and domest... and the american imported rifles?
Winchester and Browning would have their names in plain daylight right on the barrel or tang and where it was manufactored at, I would think. But don't know what uberti, rossi, chiappa, chaperal, dixie, etc. makers have for designating their rifles?
Or what are the tell-tale signs / what to look for? I am thinking the above mentioned rifle is a foriegn wannabe clone.... Maybe some info would enlighten the ones like me to know the differences and be able to decipher the imitation from the quality guns. Thanks, SnR
That would be good to know, I don't think I have ever seen one that did not have the makers, or at least the importers name on it, I know Browning, and Winchester both have their names on their imports, and every Uberti, rossi, and Dixie that I have ever seen also had their names on them, I have never seen a Chiappa, or Chaperal except in photos so can't speak to them.
Terry
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

Maybe rebarreled.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I agree with winchester 1886. Only ones I've seen with no maker were re-barreled. Could be a real Winchester that's been refinished too.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS