Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow!

Post by COSteve »

We hardy souls in Colorado are being treated to a nice 'first day of winter' . . . . . . . . . . . . . . snowstorm!! That's right, a cold front they hadn't figured would be much of anything a short 3 days ago has swept in a major snow event from Wyoming south through Colorado and into New Mexico today and tomorrow it will sweep into Oklahoma and Texas.

So far we have well over a foot at our place, the wind is blowing, and it's still snowing hard outside. Every time they talk about snow totals on the local news channels they revise the forecast snow amounts higher for us so I'm not sure how much we'll finally end up with. On top of the snow, they're forecasting that it will drop to 2 below (-19c) tonight! Oh, the fun of living in the Rockies!

So all of you there in sunny and/or warm areas enjoy yourselves this weekend, have a nice hot cup of coco to celebrate the holidays for us. And don't you worry about us poor folks huddled around our meager fires up here in the snow and the cold. Hey, at least we'll have a real White Christmas!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all and may the new year bring us peace, family, health, and friendship.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow!

Post by Griff »

Since, if I'm lucky, I'll be on the highways deliverin' goods for our boys still overseas... you enjoy your holiday in your winter-wonderland... I'm sorta hopin' I get unseasonably warm temps. And, if they decide that stuff ain't an emergency... I'll be out in the barn reloading...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Emmmmmm coco, stay warm and Merry Christmas to you and yours. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Dern you Front Range guys, keeping most of the snow for yourselves. Here we just have a meager 3" of snow. Why don't you send about another 6" of snow over to us on the Western Slope!!:)
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Have a Merry Christmas....enjoy the snow!
Send some cold weather down to me!
It 80 degrees here in Port Orange Florida!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Steve,

In the early 80s, we lived in Englewood (don't know what they call it now) between Arapahoe and County Line Rds and a couple of surface streets west of the interstate.

We were at a neighborhood Christmas Eve party and I had to sneak out to retrieve our son's Christmas Present (a bike) from another neighbor's garage. I can't remember exactly, but there was 20 +- inches of snow on the ground. I about killed myself carrying that bike (two hands over my head) through hip deep snow about 50 yds.

Same storm that dumped on you went through here (Montana) yesterday or day before. It only dropped about 2" of snow, but it was 8 deg F below zero this morning.

It's currently plus 8 deg F and am waiting for it warm a bit more before I take the dogs out for their daily walk.

Actually it's quite pleasant when the sun's out and the wind isn't blowing if you don't have to negotiate a foot or more of snow.

Enjoy the season, and have a Merry Christmas.

Paul
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Paul, you are likely talking about 1982 and the famous Blizzard of '82. We lived off of Kipling and Coal Mine and that was one of the largest storms to hit the Denver area, ever. It took us Coloradans a week to dig out of that one. The snow in my front yard was up to my sternum and the best part was that 12 hrs before the blizzard hit, the weather forecasters were arguing whether we'd get much of anything. Quite a storm and one you can read about HERE that set a few records that still stand.

It's finally stopped snowing and I fired up the snowblower to clean things off out front. Best as I can measure, we got a tad over 15" of snow in our little valley southwest of the metro area from this little blow. Nothing to screw up the city like back in 82 but a nice blast for Christmas.
Steve
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

How about some pics? I'd gladly take a foot of it, we never get any snow for Christmas here...at least at our Elev. :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I hope it isn't one of them cold fronts from Canada! If so we are so happy to bring you some Christmas cheer and a white Christmas, your welcome.

We got some Gulf weather here a week back, 160 km/hr winds! Thats hurricane force in any scale you chose to use!

Tell me, do Colorado drivers forget how to drive in snow every year? A whole bunch seem to here every year!
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Very unusual for here , but the prospect of a White Christmas is slim this year :cry:
Last year by the 22nd of December about 6 feet of snow had fallen .

http://www.startribune.com/nation/112351224.html

This year nothing on the ground.

Merry Chrismas to Every one here
Phil
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

1894 wrote:Very unusual for here , but the prospect of a White Christmas is slim this year :cry:
Last year by the 22nd of December about 6 feet of snow had fallen .

http://www.startribune.com/nation/112351224.html

This year nothing on the ground.

Merry Chrismas to Every one here
I still remember Lake Effect Snow :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

BlaineG wrote:How about some pics? I'd gladly take a foot of it, we never get any snow for Christmas here...at least at our Elev. :(
Pics of snow during the winter here are commonplace so I didn't bother with one on this storm.
Steve
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Man we were hoping for a white Christmas this year, but I am afraid it is not going to happen, I live in the heart of the Rockies just 15 miles from Park City UT. and NO snow in the yard! Last year it snowed before Thanksgiving, and we had snow for the rest of the winter, this year a couple of storms that each left about a quarter of an inch, and melted fast, I'm feelin low...but not all that low, haven't had to fire up the snow blower yet...I like that part of it.
Terry
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

My whining here may have worked :o
We now have almost 2" and it isn't s'posed to get back above freezing tomarrow !!!
May be able to wake up to a white Christmas after all !! <fingers crossed>
Calling for around 40 on Sunday though so it won't last thru the day.
Phil
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

No snow in South Carolina.I haven't worn a jacket in two weeks.Right now we are having an unusual warm spell.

MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

By January 15 I'm usually fed up with winter but there is something special about a white Christmas to this Canuck and his kids.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Let it snow - somewhere else.

Sometimes I can see snow on the distant mountains and once in a while it gets so cold I switch to a long-sleeved shirt. Christmas was not one of those days, though, 75 and clear as a bell.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

For the third time this season, we had a mere dusting last night, just enough to make for a white Christmas. We NORMALLY have plowable snow in November, and have had as much as 3-4 FEET or more in December many times. I'm not looking forward to the pendulum swinging the other way (one of those 10 ft plus winters) but right now I'm enjoying the break.
Certified gun nut