The new 2012 Marlin catalog is out

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

The new 2012 Marlin catalog is out

Post by Warhawk »

http://www.thedigitaleditiononline.com/ ... =89652&p=7

I noticed a few things ... in leverguns, probably missed a few too

No 1894SS ... stainless .44
No 1894cSS ... stainless 357
No 1895 Cowboy
Looks like the 1894 Cowboy is available only in .45 Colt, but the catalog is confusing
No 338MX rifles
No 444 rifles
No 450M rifles

The 336W and 336Y now come with laminated stocks
1894c

Re: The new 2012 Marlin catalog is out

Post by 1894c »

thanks for posting the link--I looked too and I think you got it about right--no more Marlin 444--wow, is that the end of a great option? But they still will have the 336 in 35 Remington (must be something about that name). Looks like REM-Marlin is keeping what sells, surprised at the dropping of some of the stainless models... :)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Stainless - 1894SSc 357 is interesting. maybe one of the best all around guns going.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Warhawk wrote:No 444 rifles

Hmmmmm , if thats the case the bulk of my accumulation just went up in value !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

In reading this post and having read the blurb about Marlin in the recent AR or Rifle magazine (can't recall which), I'd say Marlington is trying to get back to making the rifles they can remember how to fit together. Basically, nobody moved to the new plant, all of the old timers took the package. There's just been an endless stream of posts in various places asking if Marlin still knows how to fit a lever action rifle together. It's been about ill-fitted stocks, poor machining, crooked barrel, crooked sight, etc.

Now that Rossi is making Marlin's and possibly making them better than Marlin, the end may be near. Still, there's a good supply of well built Marlins from the last 100+ years.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Surprised the .444 is out, but not the other two cartridges. That's Freedom Group bean-counting at work.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Right now on Gunbroker they have 178 Marlin 30-30's. Marlington can play it safe all it wants and if they drop the .338 EXPRESS they will have lost the best modern lever caliber concived in along time.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

As much as the new Marlin has been savaged here and on multiple other forums, a lot of us are waiting to see how things turn out.

Fortunately for me, I've got several set aside when I was in my buy-cheap-stack-deep phase.

I really, really hope Marlin pulls through. Right now I give them one to two years.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I was skimming through a magazine recently, I think it was Rifle Magazine, had an article on the current Marlin situation. I believe that them not making the above mentioned rifles is only temporary. Supposedly they are trying to get all the machining up and running and as a result are only trying to concentrate on certain models. Least thats the "story". Like I said, didnt read the whole article. Hope they get their act together whatever it is.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

wecsoger wrote:Fortunately for me, I've got several set aside when I was in my buy-cheap-stack-deep phase.
+1

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Old Ranger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Ranger »

So the new cataloge is out eh? And many weapons are not among the listings? Is anyone really surprised with this? The Marlin Firearms that we knew is dead. The accountants killed it. It will not be brought back to life by Remington and their poor excuse of building weapons either. As so well put earlier, I too would give it a year or two and it will be dissolved...
Aim low boys! They're riddin' shetlands!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I would equate this to post 64 Winchesters. Different process for making the same rifle. Freedom group paid money for Marlin. The goal is to make money selling Marlin rifles, not close it down. I think it's good to focus on a few models and get them right first, We'll see how they look in a few years.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

model 39a ang 1985sbl is on my list
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I've been hoping CNC and computerized manufacturing process' would save the mid priced working gun. I bought my 444 in the mid 70s because it offered real knockdown in a reasonably priced rifle. It was just before the 45-70 Marlin was released so it was the only game in town for a guy who wanted a big bore that was affordable.

I think the new masters will solve the problems and produce fine levers again. Sadly I don't know that yet. The cartridge thing doesn't surprise me at all. There are many chamberings that come and go rapidly these days. It costs serious money to tool and sell each chambering and a return to profit will require streamlining. Public demand will resurrect chamberings. Ruger chambered the N0.1 in 303 Brit because of a local Canadian dealer selling a 100 rifles, CNC at its best. The 444 had a long enough run and numbers that component supply doesn't worry me much. I would be worried if I owned some other chamberings.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Old Savage wrote:Stainless - 1894SSc 357 is interesting. maybe one of the best all around guns going.

+1
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I got mine and the pages all fell out
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

As someone who used to work for a manufacturer......

CNC, programmed properly, has insanely high QC and is relatively cheap to operate. One machine will do many operations at once, over and over, perfectly, assuming you programmed it right. The vast amount of AR-15 manufacturers show what can be right and wrong when you use them.

I think right now, they're looking at building a couple models RIGHT instead of building all the models they used to WRONG.

If so, I can wait a couple years to pick up a new one to make sure they have all the bits and pieces where they should go.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

MrMurphy wrote:As someone who used to work for a manufacturer......

CNC, programmed properly, has insanely high QC and is relatively cheap to operate. One machine will do many operations at once, over and over, perfectly, assuming you programmed it right. The vast amount of AR-15 manufacturers show what can be right and wrong when you use them.

I think right now, they're looking at building a couple models RIGHT instead of building all the models they used to WRONG.

If so, I can wait a couple years to pick up a new one to make sure they have all the bits and pieces where they should go.

I used to work as a CNC Tech for a local company that manufactured valve blocks and master cylinders for brake systems of all the major auto manufacturers . Now I am quite certain we held our stuff to a higher tolernace as we dealt in MICRONS rather then thousandths or hundreths of an inch . But we were able to get a very reliable rate of production our parts were checked every 12th or 24th piece . Typically for one block there were no less then 36 checks that needed to be taken . This had little to do with the programs as we always had those ironed out before going into production . Our worries came from tool wear and breakage .

"If" I were to make a guess I would say Remlin just wasn't checking their parts or even knew what to check .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

The Remlin catalog is out.

Great info for somebody who cares...........which I don't.

Won't be buying any new Marlins (post 2008) till the quality control issues at the new Remington factory are fixed.

Lots of good JM Marlins on the used racks.

Just check em over really good & test fire them if possible before you lay your greenbacks/plastic down to make sure you're not buying someone elses disaster.

NEVER buy used stuff by mail order.
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I wasn't aware that Rossi is making the Marlins...........( Now that Rossi is making Marlin's and possibly making them better than Marlin), "from rimfire Mcnutjob's Post"

..Mutt
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mutt wrote:I wasn't aware that Rossi is making the Marlins...........( Now that Rossi is making Marlin's and possibly making them better than Marlin), "from rimfire Mcnutjob's Post"

..Mutt
More correctly, Rossi is making Marlin clones. I am nonplussed. Why?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pricedo »

Hobie wrote:
Mutt wrote:I wasn't aware that Rossi is making the Marlins...........( Now that Rossi is making Marlin's and possibly making them better than Marlin), "from rimfire Mcnutjob's Post"

..Mutt
More correctly, Rossi is making Marlin clones. I am nonplussed. Why?
nonplussed? :?

If that means happy then I agree.

We need a source of good "336ish" leverguns somewhere that you don't have to send back 3 or 4 times or repair yourself right out of the box before you can shoot them.

If a Brazilian company like Rossi can make credible (& cheaper) 336s why can't Remington?
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Interesting that their website doesn't reflect the same products as their catalog. The 1895 Cowboy in 45-70 is still on the website.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

El Chivo wrote:

:lol:
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

Old Ranger wrote:So the new cataloge is out eh? And many weapons are not among the listings? Is anyone really surprised with this? The Marlin Firearms that we knew is dead. The accountants killed it. It will not be brought back to life by Remington and their poor excuse of building weapons either. As so well put earlier, I too would give it a year or two and it will be dissolved...
Well Ranger, they must make a profit.
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

tman wrote:
El Chivo wrote:

:lol:
They don't make the catalog.