Wolverines??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Wolverines??

Post by Nath »

What do you fellers know of wolverines?? I believe they are quite formidable. Do any of you see any? Does anybody hunt them? Got any pics?
Thanks Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

OH BOY, THEY'RE NASTY BASTARDS. MOST OF 'EM HANG OUT AROUND SOUTH EAST MICHIGAN IN A TOWN CALLED ANN ARBOR WHICH IS EQUALLY FAMOUS FOR IT'S STEERS, QUEERS, AND FLAMING COMMUNISTS. LUCKILY THERE IS ANOTHER EQUALLY FAMOUS NASTY BASTARD CALLED A BUCKEYE AND HE KEEPS THE WOLVERINES IN CHECK BY KICKING THEIR COLLECTIVE BUTTS AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR. THEY CANNOT BREED AFTER THAT FOR A YEAR.
I SWEAR THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH !!!
I AM TOO SOBER.....!!!!!!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Paco
Site Owner

Post by Paco »

:wink: THEY ARE NATURE'S REALLY CRAZY ANIMAL.. EVEN BEARS TEN TIMES THEIR WEIGHT KEEP CLEAR.... THEY WILL FOLLOW A TRAP LINE AND KILL AND TEAR APPART EVERYTHING CAPTURED IN IT... THEY BREAK INTO CABINS AND FOUL AND DESTROY EVERYTHING THEY CAN... THEY WILL ATTACK MAN ONLY IF THEY ARE TRAPPED... BUT IF THEY DO IT IS TERRIBLE, VERY HARD TO STOP..... PACO
PACO/OWNER
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Terry Murbach wrote:OH BOY, THEY'RE NASTY BASTARDS. MOST OF 'EM HANG OUT AROUND SOUTH EAST MICHIGAN IN A TOWN CALLED ANN ARBOR WHICH IS EQUALLY FAMOUS FOR IT'S STEERS, QUEERS, AND FLAMING COMMUNISTS. LUCKILY THERE IS ANOTHER EQUALLY FAMOUS NASTY BASTARD CALLED A BUCKEYE AND HE KEEPS THE WOLVERINES IN CHECK BY KICKING THEIR COLLECTIVE BUTTS AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR. THEY CANNOT BREED AFTER THAT FOR A YEAR.
I SWEAR THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH !!!
I AM TOO SOBER.....!!!!!!

:D :D :D

LMAO!
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

They are the North American version of the African Honey Badger. The largest land dwelling Weasel, it's truly an imposing animal. Though Michigan has been dubbed the "Wolverine State" It's quite likely that Wolverines have never lived here. One theory is that there was a bustling Wolverine pelt trade in Sault Ste. Marie during the 18th Century hence the nickname.
A while back there was a documentary of Wolverines on Discovery HD theater. Here's a link to the guy that did the filming.

http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/wi ... rview.html

Regards,

Troy
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
pokynojoe
Levergunner

Post by pokynojoe »

pound for pound the only thing more ornery than a bearcat is my wife.

Joe
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

As stated above, they are the largest member of the weasel family.They are like fishers or locally refered to as fisher cats on steriods. They have thick brown fur and non retractable claws. If a wolverine is more testy than a fisher cat they I have to respect that animal. I have trapped fishers a number of times in cage traps and they always impress me as to how strong and vicious they can be. I will cover the cage with a cotton sheet when there is snow out to make a cubby. Every time I have found the sheet pulled through a 1/2" square into the trap. Tell me how strong a 15 lb animal has to be to do that? Now wolverines are much larger.

From what I know the best medicince for wolverines is a #330 conibear.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Wolverines/Badgers are beautiful animals. This one is. But they are some tough, nasty, mean, animals. They will back a mountain lion off it's kill in a heart beat.
You don't actually have to corner one to make him charge/attack you. You just have to make him THINK he is cornered in order for him to go beserk.

I generally kill 3 to 5 of them each year while shooting ground squirrels. Badgers will burrow into a ground squirrel den looking for dinner much like a coyote will. Sometimes while shooting ground squirrels, a Badger will take issue with being disturbed while taking a nap and come up out of his hole with teeth flashing and claws bared.

Oh, they are fast too. If one ever comes for you, you'd better start shooting as it is very difficult to evade/out run them and they are stubborn and won't quit/back off one bit.
ED
Yer never too old
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I have hunted the Adirondak and Catskill Mountains for over 25 years and have only seen one Fisher. I did not shoot him cause they are rare up there. And, I wasen't going to eat him!!! The terrible stories that have been written about the Wolverine are true. I never want to tangle with all that power. Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

What exactly is the difference between a wolverine and a badger?
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Badgers are from Wisconsin and Wolverines are from Michigan

A little big ten humor!
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I used to encounter them at times when I was in Alaska. They sure have an attitude! Got a "mad on" all the time! :lol:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Badgers are from Wisconsin and Wolverines are from Michigan
We have badgers in Texas (like the ones pictured in the earlier post), but they are definately NOT wolverines.

According to Wikipedia: "The wolverine (Gulo gulo) is the largest land-dwelling species of the Mustelidae or weasel family (the Giant Otter is largest overall), and is the only species currently classified in the genus Gulo (meaning "glutton"). "

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think theyare all females.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

A Badger will make a mess of a coon dogs face, I know that for sure. Don't see them too much. But I have been seeing a lot more fishers lately.
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

Michigan use to be full of wolverines, thus the name "Wolverine State." However, back in the late 1800's or early 1900's hunters and trapper made the wolverine go the way of the grizzly bear and wolf in this state....extinct. I'm all for conservation of species, but as far as I'm concerned, the wolverines can stay away.

They've re-established the wolf back in the UP and as far as I'm (and everyone in the UP I've talked to) is concerned, the wolf should have stayed away too. We got along really well for a hundred and twenty years without them..........
de k8bor

Dave
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

I saw one in AK on a hunt, looked like a small bear lopping along the hills, you could tell even at 500 yards it was a powerful animal. I will cherish that sighting memory.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

YK, the Badger is really slung low, they look almost like they drag their belly on the ground. They mainly dig for ground squirrels, moles and other varmints that live in the ground. They have really long front claws developed just for digging the critters out. They won't pass up anything else to eat if it's available.

The Wolverine will dig some but that's not how it generally get's it's food. It generally hunts above ground for smaller sized game. It's a big scavenger and it's stamina to travel is legendary. It has a trotting gait like a dog and it can go forever. It's one aggressive little bugger. It'll push some good sized predators off of game without a thought.
Old Law Dawg
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks fellers, send some over here I like a challenge :) Our badger is nocturnal and shy untill it is cornered. I will never forget one windy night we snook up on a big boar badger with his head in the turf. My friend had some new wellingtons boots on and I beckoned him to kick the badger up it's @ss. He did and before he knew it the badger had hold of his new boot and punctured it just missing his toes :lol: I just managed to keep my pants dry :lol:
Nath :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A big ground hog will try to run up your leg when wounded, too. Ditto on coons.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
k8bor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by k8bor »

That's why I go to my 1894C now when the coons start tearing up the bird feeders in the back yard. I've had them charge me after 5-6 .22lr's.
de k8bor

Dave
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

wolverines

Post by Hillbilly »

about a year ago someone seems to have found a wolverine alive in SE Michigan... I think in Genessee county (thats the Flint area). I dont remember the details but they ran some video on the news

Wolverines have been thought to be extinct in Mi for years... Of course the DNR said the same of Cougars and wolfs too.
~Jeff
Kilroy6644
Levergunner 1.0

Re: wolverines

Post by Kilroy6644 »

Hillbilly wrote:about a year ago someone seems to have found a wolverine alive in SE Michigan... I think in Genessee county (thats the Flint area). I dont remember the details but they ran some video on the news

Wolverines have been thought to be extinct in Mi for years... Of course the DNR said the same of Cougars and wolfs too.
~Jeff
Indeed. It was in Bad Axe, in the Thumb. This particular wolverine was found to be from Alaska, but no one is quite sure how she got here.

This site hasn't been updated in a while, but there's some good stuff here about the Thumb wolverine.
http://www.wolverineguy.com/
KILROY WAS HERE

"It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs."
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Wolverines were originally endemic to Michigan. They are also found in far northerm Europe and Asia. I recall a video of someone in Sweden (?) who had several that followed him about like cocker spaniels. They were very playful and gentle.

BTW, one of the other names for wolverines was 'Bearcat' a name bestowed of the classic Stutz Bearcat roadster. And then there is 'Wolverine' brand footwear.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

BAGTIC wrote:Wolverines were originally endemic to Michigan. They are also found in far northerm Europe and Asia. I recall a video of someone in Sweden (?) who had several that followed him about like cocker spaniels. They were very playful and gentle.

BTW, one of the other names for wolverines was 'Bearcat' a name bestowed of the classic Stutz Bearcat roadster. And then there is 'Wolverine' brand footwear.
Hey, so was Siegfried & Roy's tiger. Not to mention Timothy's bear. It's a wild critter. If you take in into your home, don't be surprised when it turns.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

While look on youtube for nature videos I found this wolf and wolverine fight.

thought i would share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfq_-oVk ... re=related

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

There are stories in AK about wounded wolverines waiting untin a hunting party has bedded down then they come into camp, drag away/break the "fire sticks" then go sit on a sleeping bag... before tearing into the occupant.

Probably mostly legend, but still.... they are waaaay to smart to mess with.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

The badger discussion reminded me of a little incident in my youth:

First you have to understand my Paternal Grandfather. He didn't always make the best spur of the moment decisions which many will attest to...matter of fact he thought that not only he was invincible, but that all those around him were also. "Can't" was never a word in his vocabulary. All of us Grandkids idolized him, and there was never anything he wouldn't do for us. He was the Patriarch of not only his own family but also many families and neighbors around him.....but I digress.

I suppose I was about 12 or 13 years old, and had gone to spend a week at his farm in Ionia Mo. at the time. He had leased the field across the road, and had baled it in big bales. I was tasked to take the 2020 John Deere and move all of the hay into the barn lot. I was working away, when I came across this substanially sized mound of fresh dirt near a hole. I drove the tractor over to the hole and was looking at it when a badger stuck his nose out of the hole. That was the first one I had ever seen and thought that was pretty neat.
When I got back to the house with the current bale, I hopped off the tractor and went in and told Grandpa: "There's a badger in a hole over there." Grandpa went nuts..."G#$ Da&* coyote bait!! Grab a shovel! he says.
Now Grandpa had this bait he prepared for his coyote traps, which was shoot what ever would stink good, put it in a gallon jar on top of the tin roof and leave it there till winter to ferment...really ripe that stuff was...
So off we went with a single shot Winchester .22, a hand full of shorts, and a spade. When we got to the hole he puts me on the shovel while he held the rifle. That badger was digging about as fast as I could...I can still see the dirt flying out of that hole and me trying to catch up. He hit some harder soil or rocks or something which allowed me a little more gain on him...and when we could see his butt, Grandpa put 3 or 4 shots into his back side to slow him down...at this point...and I'll never forget this statement...he says..

"Now reach down there and grab that stub *** of a tail and drag him out."

I started to argue, but Grandpa say's: "I'll shoot him before he gets you." Well, he takes the shovel in one hand, holds the rifle in the other, and I bend over to grab that "stub *** of a tail."

It all happened so fast it was amazing...I grabbed and yanked...and just as his head came out of the hole he started coming around on me...the shovel went between the badger and the hole, and the rifle cracked. Mr. Badger went limp. .22 short straight through the top of the head. I looked at those grinning teeth and those 3" needle sharp claws and determined that I would NEVER allow myself to be put in that situation again....

To this day I still marvel that my Grandfather didn't ever get one of us grandkids seriously injured, but he was still the greatest Grandfather of all time.

Ed
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Kansas Ed,

Outstanding story ! Very well told !

Don McCullough
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

WOLVERINES!

:lol:

Kansas Ed, :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
BHB
Levergunner

Post by BHB »

"WOLVERINES!!!!"
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I think there reincarnated ex-wives.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

Nath wrote:Thanks fellers, send some over here I like a challenge :) Our badger is nocturnal and shy untill it is cornered. I will never forget one windy night we snook up on a big boar badger with his head in the turf. My friend had some new wellingtons boots on and I beckoned him to kick the badger up it's @ss. He did and before he knew it the badger had hold of his new boot and punctured it just missing his toes :lol: I just managed to keep my pants dry :lol:
Nath :lol:
I think I remember seeing that commercial during last year's Superbowl...

Yeah, this is the one I was waiting for.
BHB wrote:"WOLVERINES!!!!"
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I'd love to have a wolverine hat. Be quite the conversation starter.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Terry,
you can visit here anytime!! OH-----------IO!!
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Rusty wrote:I think theyare all females.

Rusty <><
Hilarious! :lol:

bogie
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Blackhawk wrote:While look on youtube for nature videos I found this wolf and wolverine fight.

thought i would share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfq_-oVk ... re=related

Johnny
AMAZING! :shock:

I'm kinda proud of that wolf! He hung in there for quite a while. If winter food weren't so scarce, he would have quit a lot earlier though.

Thanks for the link!

bogie
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Pound for pound, I think the badger has the wolverine beat. I once saw a nature video where a wolverine messed with a badger. The badger won with the wolverine running off in the end.

That being said, I wouldn't want to mess with either of them. Love to see them in the wild, though.

As stated earlier, wolverines' stamina is legendary. I can't remember how big their home territories usually are, but it is in the hundreds of square miles. They are constantly wandering, often covering over 20 miles PER DAY. Seeing one in the wild is very uncommon, as their large territory means very low population density.
.........THE TWINS..........

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good vid, thanks fellers. Could use a truck load of them tipping up over here :D
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!