Ruger SR1911 availability and quality?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Ruger SR1911 availability and quality?

Post by shooter »

Has anyone heard anything, good or bad, about the Ruger 1911? I have read the Gunblast review, and love Jeff's articles, but that's only one gun. I would like to know what other's opinions are and how the guns have held up for them.

I've been waiting for Ruger to step into the 1911 market for a while. I love their guns, and think that they are great quality, strong firearms. They used to be quite a bit cheaper than the other manufacturers also, but not so much anymore.

I got some $$ for Christmas to put towards a gun. I want one of the Ruger 1911's real bad, but I haven't been able to find one available anywhere. Cabela's never has them, they are never to be found at the gun shows, and all the local gun shops are out. As soon as anyone gets one in they are snapped up right then.

I need a general carry/concealed carry handgun, and I've got it narrowed down to either the Ruger, if I can find one, or a Springfield XDM, caliber undecided, but probably a .40 S&W or .45 ACP.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Ruger SR1911 availability and quality?

Post by J Miller »

shooter,

Over on The Ruger Forum ( http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/ ) they are falling all over themselves in love with it. They've even created a separate forum for the 1911.

I've yet to see one in the flesh, but I'm curious about them too.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've seen two and they looked great. Can't get more, haven't seen more, don't know to whom they are going. I suspect our old friend Jengel can get them.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My local dealer has a LOOOONG waiting list and has only had one so far.
I am #1 on the waiting list for the Ruger SP101 8 shot .22
I was the first to inquire there and been waiting for almost 3 mo. now. The local Wholesale Sports has 3 of them but I`d rather see my friend get the sale. :wink:
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I have handled them and they seem to be very good. They have every desirable feature for a carry gun but extra stuff. Here they are taking deposits. They have had several deliveries but I don't know how long the wait is now. I want one bad but can't justify it. If they come out with a commander though.....................
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Dave wrote: If they come out with a commander though.....................
That's another problem. I wish they would've released both sizes at the same time. I know I'm gonna want a commander as soon as they release it, but can't decide if I want to wait till then or not. Who knows how long it will be till they come out with that? Then who knows how long until they are easily available? I'm thinking I may get the full size now and wait to see what happens.

I hardly ever spend money on myself, and I've been wanting one of these things since long before Ruger ever announced they were actually thinking about making them. I just don't know if I can resist the urge.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

shooter wrote:
Dave wrote: If they come out with a commander though.....................
That's another problem. I wish they would've released both sizes at the same time. I know I'm gonna want a commander as soon as they release it, but can't decide if I want to wait till then or not. Who knows how long it will be till they come out with that? Then who knows how long until they are easily available? I'm thinking I may get the full size now and wait to see what happens.

I hardly ever spend money on myself, and I've been wanting one of these things since long before Ruger ever announced they were actually thinking about making them. I just don't know if I can resist the urge.

Rumors are a commander in 2012. I am with you though it can't hurt to have a full size and commander. Every time I go to the gun store I handle the display model and have to run away. One day they had a shipment and told me they would sell me one no waiting. Just like the devil I tell ya! Whoever speced out the Ruger really knew what he was doing.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I got mine at the end of September. I handled a lot of 1911 for over two years. When i handlesd the Ruger I knew it was the one. Ordered it on the spot. I felt it was the best bang for the buck. Great trigger , good sights. I 've been very , very happy with mine. My local gunshop had to have a Ruger promo to get the waiting list taken care of. When he did the promo he got 25 of them.
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

I have had mine since spring and absolutely love it. Can't say enough good about the Ruger 1911.

Rob
NRA
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I've heard nothing but good reports about them--a bunch came through my neighborhood corner LGS and those that bought them like them--price seems good too. If I'm not mistaken (and I could be--someone will correct me--and I thank you in advance) I think Ruger has made frames and slides for Caspian Arms and for Kahr, so to put together a 1911 was not as big a trick as it would seem... :)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Dave wrote:If they come out with a commander though.....................
Bingo! That's the one I'm waiting for! :D
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

What is the street price running for them? I know the MSRP is something like $799, but actual price is usually somewhat under that. I'd just like to know how much.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Looks like they are running around $800 right now on Gunbroker. Of course who knows what the auction will close at! I only found 2 of them. My guess is the price is elevated right now due to supply and demand issues.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =265823859
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

At our local CAS/SASS club "Wild Bunch" match last month several got to shoot the R-1911. The piece is made at the Ruger plant in Prescott,AZ. One of our Cowboy Shooters is one of the Managers for Ruger at the plant. He brought several 1911 for all to see and test fire. They shot all sorts of ammo thru the Pistols and nary a hicup, stove-pipe. Every thing was digested with out a hitch. All were amazed at the action. For a out-of-the-box piece they are very good.

FYI; A Cowboy "Wild Bunch" match is shot with a 1911, as many magazines as the stage dictates, A Lever Rifle (pistol caliber), 40 cal. minimum & a 97/12 pump shotgun that can hold six in the mag tube. This catagory gets it's name from the William Holden Movie, "The Wild Bunch".
Matches are seperate from the CAS Matches. Stages, and targets can be the same. The 1911 Mag. are loaded with 5 rounds each. Most stages require from three to four magazines. Double action revolvers can also be used, like the 1917 Colt & S&W 45ACP's that use the moon & half moon clips.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

While I'm impressed with what I keep hearing about these pistols, I've gotten rather annoyed at the year+ waiting list to get one! I'd sooner pick up a Springfield Range Officer than wait if I were in the mood for a standard frame 1911.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Back in June I seen them in shops for $699,$679 and $649. I ordered one through the shop for $649. When they had the Ruger promo to get the pistols in I got another $20 off so I got it for $629. It's a great 1911.