45-70 Loads for Plainsgame?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Borealis Bob
Levergunner

45-70 Loads for Plainsgame?

Post by Borealis Bob »

Been lurking for a while and just signed up; looks like a great group of folks.

I've read a bit of the levergun safaris you have had, and wonder what loads are good in a Marlin 1895CB? Did a search, but something is amiss as I was getting extraneous threads on Obama and other items.

I'm in the final stages of planning a hunt in the Limpopo province in '09 and am thinking it would be fun to bring the lever along to compliment my 35 Whelen. I've only shot cast in the Marlin, and have not bloodied it yet.

Game likely to be on the list is Kudu, zebra, warthog, gemsbok, wildebeest, and possibly eland. Is hard cast the way to go, or should a guy plan on something along the lines of a jacketed 400 gr. FN?

I appreciate any, and all, input.

Thanks, and hope to contribute somewhere down the line.

Bob
RAC
Levergunner

Post by RAC »

I used a 405 gr Alaska Bullet Works Bonded Bullet in South Africa in March 2006. Game killed: wildebeest, waterbuck, bushbuck, warthog, and blesbok. Load was R7 and 1800 fps out of my 18 1/2 barrel. Blasphemy to some here, but I would recommend the bonded bullet over the cast.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

86er ought to speak up shortly. He'd be the one I'd really listen to as he's playing with that size game all the time. I think you'd be just fine, but It's only speculation on my behalf.
Old Law Dawg
RAC
Levergunner

Post by RAC »

kimwcook wrote:86er ought to speak up shortly. He'd be the one I'd really listen to as he's playing with that size game all the time. I think you'd be just fine, but It's only speculation on my behalf.
IIRC, I was the one who turned him on to the ABW 405 gr Bonded Bullet.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

If it were me, I would go with a Cast performance WFNGC bullet in the 400 plus grs. These bullets hit really hard and are surperbly accurate!!!! Good luck in your search!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
maddog
Levergunner

Post by maddog »

My son and I will be going to the limpopo in July for a plains game hunt. The gun I am taking is my .45-70 guide gun. I am taking my own handloads. Here is what I am using.

WW cases
Fed. 210 primers
51 gr. H4198
300 gr. nosler part.

This load gets me 1950-1975 fps.

It should do the job out to 200 yds. Have been advised that avg. shots ar +/- 100 yds.

Here is who we are hunting with
www.cruisersafaris.com/

Mad Dog
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Mr. Davis was with us on last year's Safari. He used the Hornady LeveRevolution factory ammo. It worked just find on Wildebeest and Warthog.

He also took a Bison here in the States using it. He got complete penetration side to side on the Bison.
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

One of the things that I have only recently come to understand is the "Extreme" powder line from Hodgdon. I have been using H335 in my 45-70 and I think that I will change to H322 due to the temperature extremes that I shoot my 45-70 in. This year, I have shot it at deer in 17 deg to prairie dogs at 100 deg. I think that the Extreme line of powders will be more consistent and safer in hot weather.
Borealis Bob
Levergunner

Post by Borealis Bob »

Thanks for the tips...keep 'em comin'.

Bob
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Ever since RAC turned me on to the Kodiak Bullet I have not used anything else with the exeption of the PUNCH bullet that is in a different catagory altogether.

The 405gr Kodiak will produce consistent results from 1400-1900 fps impact velocities. I have taken over 50 animals from 100 pounds to cape, water and american buffalo and the bullets have been flawless.

I recommend the heavier bullet over the 300gr variety. The 400 gr class holds its velocity and penetrating ability over a longer range because it remains stable. I have seen a few instances where the 300gr class bullets did not perform as I expected or require.

The cast bullets are good. They will expand in the animals you named. Usually you loose the front shoulder to the metplat as it smears away. You may get through and through penetration. I don't prefer them for bushvelt hunting because the premium jacketed bullets have proven more reliable for anchoring shots. The cast will kill but will not kill "on the spot" as consistently on game in the 400+ pound range.

If you have any specific questions or would like to discuss further I am happy to correspond or speak directly with you.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

You have to listen to the guys that have been there and done that. I have not shot a single animal with the .45-70 but I would think the Nosler 300gr partition driven to 2100-2300fps would be devistating on plains game. 1886
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Got a URL for Kodiak Bullets?
Googled with no luck.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Borealis Bob
Levergunner

Post by Borealis Bob »

86er...

Thanks for the input...just what I was looking for. I appreciate the offer for more information and might take you up on that.

Salvo...

There doesn't appear to be any website for these folks, but try them at Alaska Bullet Works 907-789-3834. I'm going to call them today for info.

Thanks to all.

Bob
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

You can discuss Kodiak bullets with Mike Rintoul at (503) 556-3006. He loads them and has tested them extensively.
Rhino357
Levergunner

Post by Rhino357 »

OK is it just me...........or is that is the COOLEST phone # you have ever seen! :D
And even COOLER it's (503).

Ron
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

JimT wrote:Mr. Davis was with us on last year's Safari. He used the Hornady LeveRevolution factory ammo. It worked just find on Wildebeest and Warthog.

He also took a Bison here in the States using it. He got complete penetration side to side on the Bison.
I totally agree with what Jim said here. Here's a link to Midway ammo and it also has a bunch of reviews on that 45/70 LeverEvolution round, if you click on the "read the reviews" link right under the average customer rating in stars. Just for comparison, the LE ammo for the .450 Marlin is a full 350fps faster than the 45/70LE, and the 45/70LE is 25fps slower than Corbon's 300gr Barnes "X" bullet loading.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005
We are responsible for leaving the same legacy of freedom and rights given to us for our children and grandchildren.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

I read of one brown bear hunt in AK with the 450 and LE ammo. The guy ended up shooting his bear at about 12 yds, and it killed the bear with one shot, but, it made a massive entry wound and did not exit.

To me, that means at very close range the bullet over expanded, and MIGHT have been close to coming apart. I say MIGHT because it obviously didn't in that case, but I'd feel better hunting with something a bit stronger design.

Never used them but this was what I gathered from that article.