OT - single action revolver comparison...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

OT - single action revolver comparison...

Post by azmark »

Which is the better gun, the EAA Bounty Hunter or the Heritage Big Bore in .45 Colt?
Mark Dickinson
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I have heard good reviews on the Heritage Big Bore, but I'm a little timid as to buying one because their .22's are pieces of junk. EAA's other guns are of pretty good quality, but I don't know about the Bounty Hunter.

How's that for not really answering your question?
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

Hey, at least you responded :D

I checked out the Heritage in a local shop on Tuesday, and it had tighter lock-up than any revolver I've ever checked. Fit and finish was great, too. I read good reviews in Gun Tests and on Gunblast, but wanted to hear from 'Joe Blow', if you know what I mean.
Mark Dickinson
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Just get a Ruger.

:)
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

+1 get a ruger better/MORE gun for the money.
pete
DAV life member.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I have to agree with Scott :)

I know Ruger wasn't one of the choices but at least consider one. I just picked up a Super Blackhawk LNIB at my local gun shop. It was built in '77 so it doesn't have all the warning 6ull5hit stamped into it. It locks up tighter than needed and is built like a tank. I know I'll never wear it out even shooting full bore go for broke .44 magnum loads. My body will give out long before this gun. Since I don't have kids, my nephews are going to inherit some nice guns from me but I doubt even they will wear it out in their lifetime. That means my great nephews are going to get some fine pieces.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

I do like rugers, I own two. A 22/45 and a 10/22. Used to have a Single six and also a GP100. The Vaquero just costs too much, and I've heard from several folks that the .45 Blackhawk needs cylinder work as soon as you get it. I don't really need to shoot hot loads. Am I wrong about my take on the Blackhawk in .45 Colt?
Mark Dickinson
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

You can't shoot hot loads in the New Vaquero by the way.

Just get a Ruger.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

So....I'm not sure I'm getting this....you're saying "get a Ruger?" :lol:
Mark Dickinson
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

for the money i think i would get a ruger or a beretta or a gaucho
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I've heard from several folks that the .45 Blackhawk needs cylinder work as soon as you get it.
Do you know what specifically they are talking about? Reason I ask is, I was thinking about getting a .45LC to go with my Super Blackhawk. I think I would look for an old large frame Vaquero though so I could shoot the uploaded .45LC.

Has anyone told you yet; get a Ruger.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

I have a NM Blackhawk in .357mag built in '73 and it's certainly going to outlast me. It was a little stiff, but I released half of the trigger spring, (poor man's trigger job,) and it's a little more crisp.

Finer guns for the money, and I'll bet if you get a Super BH or a BH in 45LC you'll love it.

I don't see how a .45LC would be any worse on a gun than the 44mag would, and haven't seen any complaints on them.

If you feel like spending a heap of cash, get a Colt!
haha
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

From what I've read, the chambers are a little too tight and not quite the same diameter from one to another. I read an article on it at http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_no ... tes.htm/59

I've read in other places that this problem is common in .45 Colt Rugers.
Mark Dickinson
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I've heard this issue has been fixed on new Rugers. I've owned 5 or 6 Rugers in .45 Colt, and they all shot very well without chamber work.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Um, that article was a little over the top, don't you think?

I regularly shoot 2" and less groups at 20 ft out of my gun, and have only lightened the trigger spring a little with no serious or permanent changing of the factory weapon.

The guy in this article does have some sound ideas, but come on.
He was looking for a custom pistol in a factory gun. Feeler gauges? Adding a quarter inch to a sight blade?
Completely stripping down and removing the grip frame when he could have bought a Bisley in the first place?

Anal retentive comes to mind.
:roll:

I bet FOR HIM, that gun he 'created' using Ruger's finished product is all he wants and needs in a gun. I bet he can shoot it, too.

For anyone who is NOT addled by an obsessive-compulsive disorder and apparently more free time than the Buddha, any factory gun will do after a short inspection.

Feeler gauges...
pfft.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I don't have an EAA "Bounty Hunter", nor have I ever fired one.

I so have a Heritage Arms "Rough Rider".

A couple things. It is actually made by F.LLI Pietta in Italy and assembled here. Pietta makes some reasonable blackpowder reproductions. Some of their stuff though is a mite questionable.

When I got this it wouldn't fire more than a few shots before it locked up. Had to send it off to the factory to have it repaired. It was under warranty, and they did the work pronto. Works fine now.

Good luck - let us know what you end up getting! :D
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have several revolvers and for the money I think Ruger is best. I have old Colt SAAs, new Colt SAAs, Cimarrons, and Rugers. The Ruger I carry the most is a 70s Ruger BH 45 Colt. It is a great all-around single action.

"That'll Be The Day"
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

I went back and checked prices on the BH at Bud's and they aren't all that much more than what I would pay for the Heritage. Do all the new Blackhawks come with hard rubber grips? How do they feel?
Mark Dickinson
1x2
Levergunner

Post by 1x2 »

azmark,

I actually had a EAA Bounty Hunter in .357, about 7 years ago; they're made in West Germany. It was actually a piece of junk clothed in SAA- looking metal. I remember the handgun fondly, as I could not shoot less than 6" groups with it at 50'. I rationalized carrying it when I went fishing cuz if I dropped it in the drink, I wouldn't really care.

Then came the day when I was fishing a small canyon, having a great time, beautiful afternoon, and out of nowhere the hair stood up on the back of my neck, then I hunched my shoulders. I raised my rod tip and started waving it around slowly, picked up my wading staff and waved that around, and started wading out farther towards the middle of the stream. By the time I turned around, I saw nothing on the lip of the canyon, about 16' above my head. My instincts told me it was a mountain lion. That was the last day I carried that piece of junk; I sold it and started trucking my good .44mag around with me.

I've owned a couple Ruger OM Blackhawk Flattops and a newer one with the transfer bar; with whatever issues they have, they're a darn sight better than the EAA I had. Never had a Heritage so can't type about it.

I like the Ruger rubber grips better than the wood ones, though I had to change my mind about the concept...

FWIW,
1x2

[This is not a mountain lion post; it could be said that a .22mag or the .357 is plenty for a mountain lion, but I've seen photos of real 200 lb mountain lions, and I'm carrying my .44.]
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...azmark:

...Both Davidisons' (Gallery of Guns), and Lipseys' web sites, indicate the currently made Ruger Blackhawks have black hard rubber grips.

...old goat
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I am getting into this a little late - but get a Ruger. They are built like a tank. I bought one in 45 LC with the extra cylinder in 45 ACP - I have only put 6 rounds through the ACP cylinder - and I should sell it off on gunbroker or someplace - I love shooting 45 LC in mine. I did have the undersized cylinder throats that have casued some problems in these guns - but I sent my cylinder to http://www.cylindersmith.com/ and they reamed them out for me.[url] I was too afraid of srewing it up and decided to send them out. Came back perfect and have improved accuracy - well worth the $$ spent.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Does this also hold true for the New Vaqueros. Are they worth the money?
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I just saw an ad for Doug Turnball and he is building single action 73s.
I also heard that Doug Turnball is connected to American Arms
single action reproductions...and I handled a couple this past weekend
and they seem very nice...and vert tight....case colored
Anyne here have experience with American Arms...
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

505stevec wrote:Does this also hold true for the New Vaqueros. Are they worth the money?
Ruger is never a bad choice.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

You might want to ping Steve Young, aka Nate Kiowa Jones, about this. When I had pretty much this same question about what SA to buy, he really was able to lay out the various choices and pros and cons on each. I ended up ordering a Ruger New Vaquero. Jim
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"