Freedom Arms breakopen hand-cannons

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Freedom Arms breakopen hand-cannons

Post by AJMD429 »

Another single-shot on the market...

Specifications Sheet - http://freedomarms.com/ssret.pdf

At $1,495 vs. an Encore for half that price, they're more than I'd likely spend, but it is nice to see 'factory' offerings in .375 Maximum and in .375 Winchester... 8)

Freedom Arms makes top-notch stuff, that's for sure; the video on their website indicates some nice 'better-than-Encore' features.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Re: Freedom Arms breakopen hand-cannons

Post by Jeff Quinn »

The FA is much more comfortable to shoot, for me at least, than the T/C pistols. Very accurate as well, even out past 600 yards.

Details here, with video, from June of 2008:
http://www.gunblast.com/FA-2008.htm

Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

AJMD429 wrote:Another single-shot on the market...

Specifications Sheet - http://freedomarms.com/ssret.pdf

At $1,495 vs. an Encore for half that price, they're more than I'd likely spend, but it is nice to see 'factory' offerings in 375 Maximum and in .375 Winchester... 8)

Freedom Arms makes top-notch stuff, that's for sure; the video on their website indicates some nice 'better-than-Encore' features.
375 Maximum? Never heard of that one or is it 357 Max? In any case I need to check this one out.

Mainehunter :wink:
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The .375 Maximum was developed by the IHMSA boys, for taking down the big steel rams.

It is also the cartridge chambered in that ill-fated Seville-type revolver that blew up, years ago, in Jackson, seriously injuring the shooter. Not particularly the fault of the cartridge, but a design flaw in the gun.. That was the only revolver wreck I have ever seen or heard of, where the recoil shield/standing breech failed! The results were not pretty...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Buck Elliott wrote:That was the only revolver wreck I have ever seen or heard of, where the recoil shield/standing breech failed! The results were not pretty...
I'd like to know more about that; do you have more info?

I do know the .357 Maximum is much higher pressure than typical .357 Mag loadings, and so it isn't just a 'ream a deeper chamber' kind of thing, any more than the .454 Casull is just something you can ream a .45 Colt into. Even the wrong Handi-rifle frames (the ones they often use for .357 Mag & Shotgun combo sets) won't work for it; you need the 'rifle' one.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I had the opportunity to shoot one of the 357Mag prototypes at the 2008 IHMSA Internationals, very accurate and comfortable to shoot :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I can't stand looking at Freedom Arms' website. I've wanted one so bad for so long. When I look at the one I want, a Premier Model 83 4" or 4 5/8 in plain old .357, it's all I can think about for weeks on end. I put it on my screen saver, print out photos and start checking for used ones. When people started posting pics of their FA's here, I was so jealous.
Someday..... :wink:
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The .357 Maximum is listed at 48,000 CUP, while our old friend the .357 Magnum is held to 35,000 psi.

The .375 Maximum (aka "Ultra Mag") is a semi-wildcat cartridge, developed by Elgin Gates, for the Metallic Silhouette game, and was chambered in Dan Wesson and other revolvers, along with Contenders.. i don't know For sure what the pressure parameters were..

We never found out for sure if the gun that blew was a manufacturing anomaly, or if there were a bunch more just like it out among the shooting community.. The cross-section of what wss left showed only paper-thin partitions of steel holding everything together.. Visualize if you will, the cutout for the loading port, then the slot for the hammer, transected by the basepin hole, and adjacent to the raceway for the hand. Add to that the huge, deep hole for the firing pin and its retainer or "recoil plate," which was as big around as the cartridge rim.. In essence, there was not much standing behind the cartidge in battery, except for dubious pillars of "steel foil.." the only solid steel in the standing breech was far off, to the left of the hand slot, and not directly behind the cartridge In battery..
Last edited by Buck Elliott on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

The Max aka Supermag is still one of my favorite barrels on my Contender. The basic concept was a cartridge that would shoot a 200 gr. bullet as fast as a Mag would shoot the 180. It did that plus some. I don't remember ever "ringing" a ram with it, though I did "turn a turkey" at the Missouri state shoot once. It's a really hollow feeling hearing a clank, seeing the bird disappear, then hearing my spotter say "that turkey is still up and he's looking at you".

Post by Thunder50 »

larkbill, almost as bad as shooting a chicken and having it do a 360 degree flip and land back on the stand!!
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Thunder50 wrote:larkbill, almost as bad as shooting a chicken and having it do a 360 degree flip and land back on the stand!!
Wow, wouldn't that be scored as a hit? A 360 flip is definitely off the stand.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."