Taurus Tracker 41 Magnum

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Taurus Tracker 41 Magnum

Post by stretch »

Evening, Gents!

A mechanic I know is selling a Taurus Tracker
in 41 Magnum. It's new in the box and unfired,
and has a 6.5" barrel. One box of factory shells
is included. He's asking $500ish. I'm a BIG fan
of the cartridge, have shot it quite a bit, and
load for it.

I'd love to own another revolver in this chambering,
but I don't want to (knowingly!) buy a dog. Anybody shot one of
these? Anybody own one in one of the larger calibers?
How's the noise with the porting? Any other unvarnished
opinions on this forum? :wink:

Thanks.

-Stretch
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: Taurus Tracker 41 Magnum

Post by Buck Elliott »

A good friend of mine has, among dozens of other guns, a .41 Titanium Tracker, with 2 1/2" barrel.. His opinion is that it is the most wicked, vile, nastiest handgun he has ever fired, but he carries it for defense in the mountains, especially while fishing... If he should ever find himself in a tight spot, he says he will enourage the bear, wolf, lion, &c., to take the gun and shoot Him with it, ending the confrontation in the most equitable manner..

A couple years ago, I had the distinct "honor" of firing a slightly longer-barreled version of same, and decided that I like REAL metal in my high-performance guns...

The great John Taffin, who has fired more really heavy handgun rounds than anyone else I know, forcibly opined that the Taurus Titanium Tracker, in .41 Mag., kicked more violently and was more uncomfortable to shoot than any other handgun he had ever come scross...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have a 6" one (stainless, not titanium) in .357 that I really like. I got it as a 'trainer' gun for the kids, figuring that with the full underlug and ports and six inch tube, plus the relatively small grip, it would be a peach to shoot with .38 Special loads.

It really worked for that purpose, but after the kids grew up, I started using it as a 'trail' or 'chore' gun, and found that with .357 Magnum loads it shot accurately and handled well.

I didn't notice the noise to be unusual, but I always wear hearing protectors.

The only 'different' thing about them is the grips are sort of on a 'peg' that they surround, rather than being two pieces. I kind of like not having the 'seam' in between grip halves, plus it means you can put really small, or really large, grips on the gun easily.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A good friend of mine has, among dozens of other guns, a .41 Titanium Tracker, with 2 1/2" barrel.. His opinion is that it is the most wicked, vile, nastiest handgun he has ever fired,
I will second that. I fired one cyl full.....that was enough. He also had a 4" (I think) stainless, and it was a pleasure and accurate.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Buck Elliott wrote,... If he should ever find himself in a tight spot, he says he will enourage the bear, wolf, lion, &c., to take the gun and shoot Him with it, ending the confrontation in the most equitable manner..

That's funny--made my day... :)
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

He's asking premium money for a "budget gun" -- try to find a Smith Model 57 first before you pony up the dough (i really dont know what they sell for but if it is not too much of a burden , may be worth it in the long run)

I had somewhat decent luck with a little .44 Special snub a decade ago, but when new, i still had to take it to a Smith to relieve some tolerance in the end gap so it would turn freely in double action mode -- Taurus would have fixed this complimentary, but i would have to ship it and wait a while, as their customer service is nowhere close to the level of Springfield Armory , Henry, or i guess KEl Tec according to a recent thread on here
After i got the little snubbie fixed, it ran like a champ, it was just irritating having to do that to a brand new gun -- and i have read other similar accounts about the exact same issue with others.
In a thread on another forum (i think AR15.com) a fella disassembled a Taurus 44 MAg alongside a Smith Model 29 to compare and he stated the appearance of the internal parts was not even close -- i know the internal parts don't have to be pretty to work right, but the Taurus was a 550-600$ revolver, - not exactly chump change

I would get another Taurus 44 snubbie, but only because Smith and Colt dont make one --- Charter Arms does, and the quality i have heard is similar --- decent but not exceptional.

There are probably still mad people out there waiting for Taurus to fix their Gauchos (their failed SAA clone) ,
----- Doug
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

According to Taurus literature, their Gaucho was "discontinued, due to popularity.."
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

I bought a stainless 4" Tracker in 44 last year for around $300 (a bargain I know). They can be had for around $400 fairly routinely if you look. I also owned one in 357 several years ago. The quality of both was very good. The 44 was downright painful to shoot more than a cylinder full per session, but carried very well on my trip to Montana this past August.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

People have to make a choice.. Is the gun for carrying, or is it for shooting, if the need or desire arises..

I don't pay any attention to the weight of a Colt or Uberti single-action, or a Ruger Vaquero, or a Freedom Arms Casull... I Don't pack a pistol to impress or intimidate anyone, but to have something relaible to shoot, if the occasion presents itself...
Regards

Buck

stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Thanks for all of the input.

Buck, your buddy wins the prize for the most "unvarnished" opinion!
His opinion is that it is the most wicked, vile, nastiest handgun he has ever fire
That's pretty clear! :lol:

I had half made up my mind to pass on this
one. I know this because I wasn't drooling
when he presented me with his offer! :D
Had it been a Model 57 or 58 for that money -
well, I wouldn't have asked another opinion!
Mad money is a little bit tight right now, so
I'll save it for something else.

-Stretch