Fishing Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nobody

Fishing Gun

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Fishing Gun

Post by model55 »

I'd be real tempted by the black hawk/marlin combo,7mm magnum only if your were dedicated to some long range shooting.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Bob, out of your choices I'd go with the Blackhawk and 1895. You can load either pretty much up and down to meet most occassions. With the 1911 your choices are more limited. The M1A1 is a nice choice, but it doesn't go with the Blackhawk given your parameters.
Old Law Dawg
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Get a Blackhawk with both 45 colt and 45acp cylinders
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

A Sharps makes a nice fishing gun...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

3leggedturtle wrote:Get a Blackhawk with both 45 colt and 45acp cylinders
Yep.

Potential gun uses:
  • CCW - not ideal due to large size, but definitely would do the job
    Home defense - hard to find anything better
    Ranch/farm use - hard to find anything better
    Hunting up to whitetail deer - a matching 'carbine' levergun possibly slightly better
    Hunting bigger than whitetail - doable in emergency but need the rifle for that
    Plinking & Target Shooting - perfectly fun for that; cast or even wax bullets useable
    Surviving Social Meltdown - discrete, politically-correct, personal 'assault weapon'
Unless I lived in bear country, my 'companion' levergun wouldn't be .45-70; I'd just use a .45 Colt with stout loads, or a Rossi .454 if I really felt the need to push things.

Maybe add a .22 LR or a bottleneck rifle round instead of a 'matching' levergun, depending on your needs.

Still, for an "only one gun" scenario, I'd definitely opt for the revolver in .45 Colt, perhaps with a .45 ACP cylinder, vs. a 1911, much as I like 1911's. In the awful event of a social meltdown, you can make more stuff go 'bang' in a .45 Colt than you can make function in a 1911 semiauto. Get the .45 ACP cylinder for the best of both worlds... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Any or all of your choices would be aces, IMO :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

If I had to choose only two guns out of the ones you listed they would definitely be the Ruger and the 45/70. Nothing you can't take on with that combo. IMO it would serve you very well for just about any purpose, save small game hunting although you can load cat sneeze loads for the .45.

The 1911/M1A1 combo is definitely not a bad choice, I just don't think it's as versatile a combo as the other. Either is a good choice, but my vote goes for the .45 and the 45/70
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Having a Marlin Guide Gun and a Blackhawk .45 Colt with .45 ACP interchangeable cylinder, you have to be able to guess which way I say to go. The .45-70 and the Blackhawk are a great combo. The Blackhawk can be loaded up to almost .44 Mag power and down to light cowboy action stuff for fun. The .45-70 can be loaded light or heavy, and if you get the Model 86 or a clone, you can load it a little hotter than the Marlin and be safe to take anything on this planet. The .45-70 has a rainbow trajectory at long distance, but it will still hit accurately and with authority at long range even from a levergun. As much as I love my .480 Ruger SBH, if I had to limit myself to 1 pistol and 1 long gun, a Blackhawk in .45 Colt/.45 ACP and an 1886 in .45-70 would be the choices.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Geeze you guys have all the fun. Here in Ca we have to use poles to fish with. :shock: :D :mrgreen:
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Get one of the Lipsey special Ruger blackhawks with 45LC / 45 ACP cylinders and Marlin 45/70 . It's just more versitle. Then again you might have to get them all . Do some deep clinical research on handling and shootability. Don't rush it, take a few years and then make a decision. I'm just here to help. :D
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

To tell the truth I could be happy with either of your handgun choices but I'd probably go with the Blackhawk, maybe in the Montado configeration with some sight work. IMO, your long gun selection leaves a lot (much, mucho, a whole bunch) to be desired especially considering your location.

LK
Last edited by L_Kilkenny on Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Tough choices i love all them and switch back and forth but if your going to limit yourself to one class or the other then if i were you i`d go find a 1895 Cowboy and see how light they feel compared to a guide gun.
I have both and the CB is all i carry in the woods to me it`s a great rifle, and i have a 86 and love it but i`ve carried that 86 a few miles and ya better bring a car dolly along.
Hard to beat the BH and the combo model sounds like a good option.
The thing that throws me is the topic title that this will be a fishing gun, if i go in a boat i carry a Springfield XD in 45, can`t hurt the dern thing, water proof, don`t worry about scratching it.
I also love the 1911 but i feel a little under gunned in the woods for wolves or bears, i know chances are slim of having a encounter but the day it happens i want to be able to put it down.
Good luck with this decision.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Love the Guide Guns. Along with it, I'd look at BFR in 45-70. About the same as a large-frame Blackhawk but you would only have to reload 1 caliber.
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

Of the two choices, the 1911 is by far the superior fighting weapon. Since personal defense is what you're getting it for, that's the obvious choice. You say that if you get the 1911 then the companion rifle would be an M1A1, then IMO the decision is made.

The new Remington and Ruger 1911's both look good to me, but I admit I don't have actual experience with either one. My preference is a Springfield XD or CZ 75B in .40 S&W, but these didn't make your list. I have both of these (mine are 9mm) and they're both great handguns.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I have a different impression when I think of a "fishing" gun. For me, I want something relatively small, maybe to fit in a tackle box or waist pack, and rugged enough to take a beating, dirt, a dunking in the water, etc. With that in mind, I tend to gravitate towards a revolver rather than a bottom feeder. I think many refer to it as a "kit" gun, though that term is often associated with a small .22. I do a lot of small water wading and fly fishing, and a larger, SA pistol would be a hindrance.

I also think of a fishing gun as different than a woods gun, which may be needed for larger predators (2- or 4-footed). The .45 Colt is a great woods gun, I think, but less so for my fishing needs. So, I've compromised and now have a S&W 60 in .357 to serve both purposes, it's not really a "fishing" gun that suits my situation exactly, so I may supplement it in the future. Then again, I am on the East Coast, with smaller streams and less opportunity to run into large predators.
Last edited by alnitak on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I'm thinking down in that part of the country alot of fishing is done on the banks or river floating. I'm still trying to find the perfect shooter, I reload and love single actions but a 1911 carries so much flatter it's a tough choice although I'm leaning for the Blackhawk. I'm guessing the main use for said gun would be protection from feral dogs, hogs, and fiddle playing neighbors. :lol: :lol:
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Personal Defence (for 2 legged critters) = 1911
Personal Defence (for 4 legged critters) = Ruger Blackhawk
Hunting/Survival = 45-70
Fun/target long range hunting = M1A1

My personal choices would be Ruger Super Blackhawk, Stainless in .44 Magnum and a Model 92 Clone in .44 Magnum. (gosh, I realized I already have them!)
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

a good buddy used to take a Walther - fit nicely in his vest - and I know that's not on your list.
Another took a 45 LC Colt SA in his boat.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/cdp-ii/ultra-cdp-ii

If it's only going to be (the one,forever) the cost means squat!-----I want one of the best! (from the custom shop)
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

A good friend of mine owned a customized colt 1911 and a nice Kimber 1911, both 45 ACP. We used to shoot a lot. One day we were at the range, with my 2 sons who were teenagers at the time, and were also students of his. He was their 3rd degree Tae Kwon Do instructor.

He got into a challenge for them, with the loser doing a specified number of pushups. Before it was all over, they owed him about 75 each. We were shooting steel targets out to ranges of about 25yds. He challenged me, so I accepted, and matched him shot for shot. He gave me my choice of his pistols, the Colt or Kimber, I chose the Colt. After about 20 shots each, with no misses yet, he elected that we should shoot with our opposite hand. I shoot left handed, he shoots right. But what he forgot, is not only am I nearly 100% ambidextrous, I am also right eye dominant. so switching to right hand, for me, felt even better.

We went 2 for 2, then he chose a 3" steel at about 18yds out. He shot and missed, I shot and "clang". My boys really celebrated, cause I had bet double or nothing, for all three of us, on pushups. My friend just stood there with his mouth open. I said, "you forgot I was ambidextrous?" :mrgreen:

Live and learn. His Kimber was a beautiful gun, but didn't fit me like his Colt did. At 10yds I could make 5 rounds touch each other on a regular basis with that Colt. Have never had a handgun fit me that well since.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Blackhawk. forever is a mighty long time though. U could make a solid case for owning all 4, but not just 2
----- Doug
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I'd say 1911 and M1A. The handgun would mainly be used for defensive use I'm guessing and thats what the 1911 was designed for. The M1A could serve as a rifle for social use or as a deer rifle. It would especially work well for the latter if you were to put a scope on it.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

somewhat off message, for this I apologize--but if I were to pick a two gun combo I would pick the following...

a). 30/30 levergun or .357 mag. levergun (30/30 ammo is everywhere)
b). a 357 mag pistol--SA or DA (like the ability to shoot .38's)... :)
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Neither would be my first pick, but of the two options I'd go with the 1911 since you're listing personal defense. My choice would be the blackhawk in big bear country, but since you're in Arkansas, I'd say you're save from big brown bears.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Another M1A / 1911 vote.

I have both combo's you mention, though mine's a Super Blackhawk.

Either way you can't possibly go wrong.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
stinson
Levergunner

Post by stinson »

I'd vote for a Ruger in .45 Colt, but it would be a 4" Redhawk. Keep pulling the trigger until the threat is neutralized.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Good choice ,I have carried a Colt SAA in .45 Colt since 1959. I still trust it to keep me safe where ever I am.With the shot shells I load it is a great fishing gun for snake problems. I reckon where you woods roam and fish you have about the same varmits I do in this part of Arkansaw. Wild dogs, coyotes and maybe the two legged kind on occasion. Good luck with your .45, you will really love that round, real easy to load for too.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Bobthemotorcycle wrote:I am going to go with a Blackhawk. Thanks for your opinions. I am also going to get a Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70.

Next we are going to vote on a good hunting pole.
Lets go fishing. :wink:

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

[quote="Bobthemotorcycle"] I am only going to buy one gun to be my everything gun for the rest of my life. .... quote]

That's what we all have said, at some time now n' again! :lol:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

kimwcook wrote:Bob, out of your choices I'd go with the Blackhawk and 1895. You can load either pretty much up and down to meet most occassions. With the 1911 your choices are more limited. The M1A1 is a nice choice, but it doesn't go with the Blackhawk given your parameters.
+1

Though my last "fishing gun" was a FA .454. But then, I was "fishing" in the Russian & Deshka rivers in Alaska during Salmon Run. :twisted:
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Shrapnel wrote:A Sharps makes a nice fishing gun...

where do you tie the string on?
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

My fishing gun is a 44mag Taurus Tracker.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

It looks like I'm definitely with the majority with this one - A 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk with interchangeable cylinders - .45 Colt / .45 ACP. That is what I will be taking out when I fish again. I have a .45 ACP for urban carry and home defense for a number of reasons, including possible multiple attackers. But here is why the Blackhawk seems like the best idea (to me) for carry in the woods:

1 ) Rugged, easily to quickly clean, e.g. a surprise slide down a hillside
2 ) Stout 45 Colt loads will handle any animal or predator (up close) in my area almost as good as most rifles
3 ) .45 ACP HP loads are quite sufficient for 2 legged predators
4 ) Fun to shoot!
5 ) Easy to find .45 ACP ammo or relatively cheap to reload
6 ) It's cool!
7 ) It's easier on the ears than a .357 or .44 Magnum
8 ) I used to carry a small handgun in a tackle box; but it's hard to get to the box when you are doing something like answering nature's call. And a fast draw from there might mean hooks in the hand...
9) Large caliber makes it a bit easier to hit the fish you are shooting at.
10 ) It's the Code of the West to carry a .45

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

For me, I would go with the .45 colt / 45/70 combo. Here in penn's woods, I can't use semi's to hunt with. My woods guns are several, none of your choices but close. I have a smith 14 in 22 or, a smith in 38 +P, a smith trail boss in 44 mag, a colt m1917 in .45cap or my reeder custom Blackhawk in .44 mag. The reeder would match your 45 colt slot. For rifle, I have two wild west guns conversions, one in .457mag/45/70 and one in 44 mag, both takedowns. The .457 would be my one rifle. Good luck in ur choice. ( just to make it harder, the Kimber 1911 I have is an awesome carry pistol and with a .22 conversion kit, if I could use semi's to hunt with, would be my choice as my one pistol combo to always have)
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

3leggedturtle wrote:Get a Blackhawk with both 45 colt and 45acp cylinders
+1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

handirifle wrote:Geeze you guys have all the fun. Here in Ca we have to use poles to fish with. :shock: :D :mrgreen:
I use a Romanian. :D I bought it with a personal Czech. :mrgreen:
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

Compromise! The 1911 and the 45-70. The 1911 is the superior fighting handgun, the marlin is the superior hunting rifle. Or just get all 4, they'll all be going to a good cause someday (i.e. Your son)
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1