Vaquero or Blackhawk?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Vaquero or Blackhawk?

Post by El Chivo »

Which would be your pick in .357 (and why)?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Re: Vaquero or Blackhawk?

Post by adirondakjack »

For most uses, the adjustable sights would be handy. That said, a vaquero can be load tailored and/or filed to regulate it. Beyond that and of course appearance, they are essentially the same gun IF ya stay within the same family. The original BIG vaq was on the super BH frame and is a tank like the big BH. The latest iterations of both are closer to colt frame size.
Certified gun nut
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Blackhawk!
Adjustable sights (with that caliber I want full advantage of guns capability)

Now if I could sway to the 45colt then it would be Vaquero in their Model 5151 :D
http://www.ruger.com/products/vaqueroDE/models.html
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

With the 357 frame size matters. The 357 in a large blackhawk frame has a lot of extra steel in it the makes it heavier than I like. The new Vaquaro uses the medium frame which is the original 357 frame size, this balances nice. I am not sure if Ruger went back to the medium frame for their new 357 blackhawk or not. If the new 357 blackhawk is offered in the medium frame , I would go with that because I need the better sights. Plus you can adjust sights to different loads.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Blackhawk every time for me. I don't play cowboy and either gun is too big to carry in my pocket, so I want the adjustable sights.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

What are you planning on doing with it?
Either would make a fine everyday carrying piece, the Blackhawk does have the advantage of the adjustable sights , and if you're going to be continually fooling with various loads , that might be a handy feature.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Blackhawk for me too. I've never handled any of the new smaller frame size guns but I don't find the "full size" ones to be heavy.

Recoil in mine can be a little snappy, don't know that I would want a lighter one, unless I was going to shoot mostly 38 Specials.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Sights or sleekness.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I have both types. I wanted a Vaquero type for years before Ruger made them, now after carrying them for a while, and getting a little blue wear, I find the sights seem to disapear in poor light. Whether you ever change the sights after getting it sighted in or not, I'm a believer in the adjustable types, as they are much sharper and cleaner in sight picture. I'm planning on putting adjustables on my favorite Vaquero. I really don't like the factory Vaquero sights for actual use in other than perfect conditions, and even then, they are inferior to the sharp, clean edged Blackhawk type sights. The Blackhawk type hold up to holster wear much better.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

OR, the 50th Anniversary BlackHawk....orginal smaller size, and adjustable sights :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Blackhawk merely for the sights and I'm not caring much about the adjustablility but more so for their visibility. Eyes just can't see them thin blades as well as they once could.

LK
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

BlaineG wrote:OR, the 50th Anniversary BlackHawk....orginal smaller size, and adjustable sights :wink:
:mrgreen: I like the way you think
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yep, I would definately go for the flat top model. No doubt about it. .357 Mag is a very versitile cartridge and has all kinds of loads from light and very zippy to heavy and medium velocity. So, the adustable sights would come in very very handy.

I like the new Vaqueros too but you pretty much need to pick a load for it and tune the sights to that load. At least, that's what I do with them.

But for general, varied use, the Blackhawk flat top (50th Anniv) model is it.

ETA: Even better! A flat top convertible! (Lipseys) -.357/9mm

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I'll play the minority here and say go with what you like/tickles your fancy--which usually follows what you're going to use it for. For me that means the traditional smooth, snag free and easy holstering and easy on the eyes (the latter for the 95% of time they"re not being shot anyway) lines of the Vaquero or New Vaquero. Traded in my BHs for Vs and NVs years ago. Don't make it to the range much any more. Mine are used for woodsing - trail and camp guns and not "formal" paper targets so much, and as such not anticipating regularly much past 25 yards. That's what the levers are for. In any event, for what I need, the sights are fine for minute of critter--four, two or no legged. (Same goes for DAs. Not much use for adjustable sights in a mostly SD-oriented gun).
All that said, a Flattop .44 is in my future as companero to my pair of NV .44s, "just because" they appear to be premium pieces as well :)

Btw, I may have missed a response to someone's inquiry--but, no - the "new" Blackhawks, as in current NM non-flattop line are the same large frame/XR3 Red combo as always. The .357, .44 Sp and .45 Flattops are the same midframe as the New Vaqueros, and all you need IMO if getting a .357.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'd heft the two of them side by side if possible and make up my mind.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.