1886 Browning range report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jens5
Levergunner

1886 Browning range report

Post by jens5 »

Took my, (new to me), Browning 1886 out to the 100 yard range on Friday. 59 degrees, light wind.
2 different factory loads. Winchester, 300 gr. Super X JFP and Hornady Lever evolution 325 gr.
The gentlemen I bought the rifle from hunted with the hand-load equivalent of the Hornady,(325gr FTX @ 2050fps
I found this load consistently shot 4" to the left while the WW load was right on for windage with less recoil although very hard to chamber. Had to really torque the lever to chamber the Winchester.
I will say, the Hornady Kills at both ends!

The front sight is impossible to drift for windage. I'll try some Kroil later on.
Definitely will be looking for a better, non-drill rear sight for my aging eyes, but the final 3 shot's, off-hand produced a 4" group. :)
pricedo
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 1886 Browning range report

Post by pricedo »

jens5 wrote:Took my, (new to me), Browning 1886 out to the 100 yard range on Friday. 59 degrees, light wind.
2 different factory loads. Winchester, 300 gr. Super X JFP and Hornady Lever evolution 325 gr.
The gentlemen I bought the rifle from hunted with the hand-load equivalent of the Hornady,(325gr FTX @ 2050fps
I found this load consistently shot 4" to the left while the WW load was right on for windage with less recoil although very hard to chamber. Had to really torque the lever to chamber the Winchester.

The front sight is impossible to drift for windage. I'll try some Kroil later on.
Definitely will be looking for a better, non-drill rear sight for my aging eyes, but the final 3 shot's, off-hand produced a 4" group. :)

4" @ 100 yds isn't bad for off hand & iron sights. :)
NRA & GOA LIFE MEMBER
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I would say be brave and drill and tap it for a good reciever sight. You only live once, make the gun all it can be for you.

Oh, and drilll it for a sling too, dropping your 86 on rocks is more painful that drilling it for sling studs. I put the front stud in the forend cap like the originals had them.

Browning 86 carbine,

Browning 86 rifle, with receiver sight, sling, barrel cut to 22", and the crescent cut from the butt stock. I can't begin to say how much more I like it now than when it was stock original. (No 3 down)

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Nice job on the old Lyman 56A installation, Bill. I'm going to drill my carbine for a NIB Lyman 21N that's laying around in my sight stuff. I love old sights and try to stockpile a few for use when needed. Too bad that the Miroku Winchester ELs are drilled too low to install a Lyman 56 or mine would sure wear one. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've managed to gather up enough 56's back when they were relatively cheap to install on my favorites. I've paid between $20 for one that needed a couple small parts, to as much as $80 for a like new one.

You could mill a slight dish into the beveld ledge to get it to fit on the Miroku, or just move the ledge up slightly.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

The only reason I'd own the rifle is cause I wanted it. If I wanted all the extra pretties , think I'd order something new . But that's just me. Hate screwing up history I reckon. Then again others might just enjoy the changes. To each to their own! Having fun is the name !

............................Mutt
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

jens5 wrote:Took my, (new to me), Browning 1886 out to the 100 yard range on Friday. 59 degrees, light wind.

That's funny that the factory Leverevolution load shoots to the left?!? Just shows how each little change the exterior ballistics of a load. You never notice that recoil when you're pointing the barrel at a muley :D How would you like to shoot that load in a SRC or extra light?

My quest for just such a replacement is on hold. I'm pinching pennies to fund an African safari.

Also curious about the Winchester load chambering hard. I never shot any, but the rifle would chamber 535 postell rounds with full length brass, no problem. How about a pic of the Winchester round?

Don't have too much fun :lol:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

I'm not a fan of drilling out the wood of older guns that didn't come with factory sling swivels.

This is what I picked up last summer at a Muzzle loading fair and use on my Browning 1886 rifle.
The guy hand makes them here in PA.
The small fixed loop goes down over the barrel and the adjustable slide loop goes around the stock.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Mossyoak1957 wrote:I'm not a fan of drilling out the wood of older guns that didn't come with factory sling swivels.

This is what I picked up last summer at a Muzzle loading fair and use on my Browning 1886 rifle.
The guy hand makes them here in PA.
The small fixed loop goes down over the barrel and the adjustable slide loop goes around the stock.
I'd love to have a couple of those. I used a shotgun sling I purchased at Cabela's. It worked, but it didn't have the "proper character." :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jens5
Levergunner

Post by jens5 »

You never notice that recoil when you're pointing the barrel at a muley :D How would you like to shoot that load in a SRC or extra light?

Shot that load before in a guide gun..............Didn't like it much. :|
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

325 Hornandy has less felt recoil in my SRC, that shooting my 94 BigBore .444 :?:
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

jens5 wrote:I will say, the Hornady Kills at both ends!

You never notice that recoil when you're pointing the barrel at a muley :D How would you like to shoot that load in a SRC or extra light?

Shot that load before in a guide gun..............Didn't like it much. :|
It's sometimes very suprising how different guns vary in felt recoil. I used to own one of the reproduction Winchester Extra Lightweights and found it to kick harder then my current Browning SRC. I also have a Browning 78 carbine in 45/70 and I think it has more felt recoil, as well as about all of the Marlin 1895's I have owned and really all of them seemed to kick me more then my SRC.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have a bunch of Winchesters and shoot the hades out of 'em. SRCs and shotgun butt Lightweights seem to kick me the least, even with loads far heavier than the Hornadys. Sending a 300 grain bullet at nearly 2500 FPS out of the 22" barrel of a 1906 vintage '86 .45-90 will seriously get your attention at the bench but seem like a .22 when shooting at game. That load was a bit over the top, so I pared it down to a mundane 2250 FPS and a 250 grain Barnes TSX. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
jens5
Levergunner

Post by jens5 »

[

That's funny that the factory Leverevolution load shoots to the left?!? Just shows how each little change the exterior ballistics of a load. You never notice that recoil when you're pointing the barrel at a muley :D How would you like to shoot that load in a SRC or extra light?

My quest for just such a replacement is on hold. I'm pinching pennies to fund an African safari.

Also curious about the Winchester load chambering hard. I never shot any, but the rifle would chamber 535 postell rounds with full length brass, no problem. How about a pic of the Winchester round?

I'll get around to it and post a pic

Don't have too much fun :lol:[/quote]

Havin a gas brother!
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

As I've said before, the Browning 1886 is one of the best guns ever made. You'll enjoy it a lot.

Don
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

That`s game gettin accuracy any day of the week, good going. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Pitchy wrote:That`s game gettin accuracy any day of the week, good going. 8)
Yep. And, I'm also surprised at the four inch shift in POI with the Hornady loads. Somethings not right in Kansas.
Old Law Dawg