Need help...Case stuck in RCBS sizing die

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Need help...Case stuck in RCBS sizing die

Post by shooter »

I was teaching a buddy of mine how to reload today and he managed to get a case stuck in a sizing die and pull the rim off the case in the attempt to get it out. Do any of you guys have any suggestions on how to get it out? I've never had this happen before. I lubed the cases myself beforehand. I purchased this as once fired brass, so I don't know if it was shot in a slightly oversized chamber that resulted in the tight fit? It is 8x57 Mauser if that makes any difference in the procedure.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Need help...Case stuck in RCBS sizing die

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Yes, you buy an RCBS "Stuck Case Remover" (really) and simply follow the instructions. Failing this send the die back to RCBS and they will remove the stuck case.

A slightly oversize fired case does not cause this, insufficient lubrication does! It is the die that determines what is adequate, not you.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Thanks. I'd seen the stuck case removers before, but kind of assumed they were for cases stuck in a chamber. You're right, the die does determine the proper amount of lube. It was my rookie mistake, and what's worse is this was the first time I've used these dies.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

whatever You DO- don't try removing it without the proper tools.case in point- don't drive a screwdriver or chisel in there to try and get it out. Just end up scratching and gouging Your Die, You don't want that.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

And before you do anything else, you can get one more try out of your case. Where the rim is bent from pulling past, grind that off a bit more so you can easily raise the ram and poke the shell holder back into position. Then turn the shell holder 90 degrees to get hold of fresh rim and give her another try. And if you can unscrew the top of the die to leave the primer punch stem and punch down in the case you might be able to slip a quarter inch bolt down and catch the top of the punch stem and be able to get some gentle taps along with the second-try pull. This occasionally works.

I've never had such a stuck case experience as you are having but I have heard rumors about the things a fellow might do. :lol:
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Thanks for the info guys. I did some searching after seeing the RCBS stuck case remover and found out that I have all the necessary tools to make my own. Just in case anyone else would like to know, here's a link.

http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/reloadi ... ding2.html

earl, I've been reloading most of my life and this is the first stuck case I've had, and it's STUCK. I may be dumb, but I'm smart enough to leave something alone when I know I'll probably just tear it up worse by messing with it without knowing what I'm doing.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I usually drill a hole thru the primer pocket larger enough to get the decapping stem/expander ball out. Then I run a tap in the hole (30 cal I use 5/16") and screw a grade 5 bolt in. Then I take a grade 8 bolt, or long flat end punch that will go down in thru the top of the die and use a hammer to knock out the stuck case.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

shooter wrote:I may be dumb, but I'm smart enough to leave something alone when I know I'll probably just tear it up worse by messing with it without knowing what I'm doing.
That's one of the lessons I've had to re-learn many times in life... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks for the link. Helpful info.

The guy who posted that showed a really strange looking Lee die in comparison, and said they had non-replaceable decapping pins, but mine all have replaceable ones, and also if you did get a case stuck, you can un-do the large-diameter top piece which holds the decapper, and probably just use that 1/4" bolt from the top of the case, with a mallet, to un-stick the case. Fortunately (knock on head) haven't had that happen yet...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

shooter, you have quite a lot of reloading experience, sounds like. If you are certain you had the case lubed up pretty good I'm going to mention one other possibility to check. It is a remote possibility but has happened to me twice in my life so it can happen... Check to make sure the die has the little vent hole going into the shoulder area. If the die maker somehow fails to get that little dinky-do vent hole to the shoulder you end up with a die that JC himself couldn't get the case out of. This hole goes straight in sideways, so will be visible somewhere in the upper threaded area of your die.

Now the first time it happened to me was with a Herter's die, so you know that was loooong ago. But about 10 years ago I got a Redding die with no vent. So it does happen.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

after 30 years i had to buy D&T on a first time stuck case :o