That One's Awful Light.... Why I Weigh My Cast Lead Bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

That One's Awful Light.... Why I Weigh My Cast Lead Bullets

Post by Shasta »

I cast my own bullets for just about all my centerfire arms using a bottom-pour RCBS lead pot, and I usually weigh those bullets that will be used for competitive shooting. I allow one-half of one percent variation from average weight, so in the case of my .45-70 Sharps used for Black Powder Cartridge Rifle silhouette shooting, a Lyman 457193 bullet of about 20:1 alloy should weigh 412 grains, but a weight of 410 grains is acceptable. I was weighing a freshly cast batch the other day when I came across one bullet that didn't even make 400 grains. It looked OK on the outside, but I knew it had an internal void so I decided to cut it open. It is very common for cast lead bullets to have small internal voids, but I doubt this one would have shot all that well:

I think it must have been one of the first ones cast, before the mould had a chance to really get up to temperature. The void is large and passes nearly all the way across the width of the bullet. Voids can be caused by any number of errors, including casting speed, temperature of mould and/or alloy, or just technique. This void is much worse than usual, and that is why I like to use my electronic scale to find these bad ones and send them back to the lead pot.

I have often wondered if commercial cast lead bullets exhibit many flaws. Strangely enough, the smaller bullets I cast, such as 158 grain .38 Special caliber or 115 grain .32-20 bullets don't vary enough to make weighing worthwhile.

SHASTA
Last edited by Shasta on Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Re: That One's Awful Light.... Why I Weigh My Cast Lead Bullets

Post by adirondakjack »

I routinely scrap the first ten that look OK, which will almost eliminate that potential problem, as long as my routine doesn't vary, causing mold temp fluctuations.
Certified gun nut
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Re: That One's Awful Light.... Why I Weigh My Cast Lead Bullets

Post by Cliff »

This one of the reasons Linotype was favored for bullet casting. It's blend of metals was found the be the best and quickest flowing alloy. Another problem still being debated is on a bottom pour pot sometimes if the "Head Pressure" is too high or Low you may bet freaky mould filling. I believe you may be right about the temp. of the mold being on the low end at the beginning. A lot of old timers will only use dip and pour method other swear by bottom pour. Commercial casters, I believe, have their alloys righte and run a hot set up, using fans to cool and speed up the casting on their machines. I could be wrong. Also shorter and lighter bullets can be more forgiving. ATB...